The Workplace & Job Hunting

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
I was supposed to be sent a task as part of a job application this last week but the poor guy running the process had his work laptop stolen nn, hope that’s a bad omen for the other candidates but not me x
I will say that, especially in the process that I just went through, that it's best to not let that stuff weigh on you. It produced so much anxiety for me at every step of the process, and I kinda just had to let myself relax about basically everything in the pipeline.

So my job interview went well I think! (although due to nerves I forgot to give them some examples of my policy work I printed out to leave with them at the end so I had to go back again which made me feel dumb nn)

It sounds like my dream job, housing is a massive issue here at the moment and this is a new department that has been established especially to help with the crisis, so we will all be new and learning together. I will be part of a team that helps create new/amend existing policies to make housing accessible to all, especially those who desperately need it. I've done loads of work at uni on housing policies and I would love to have a hand in helping.

Anyways fingers crossed!

This week marks my last week at my current job, my last week ever having to commute into an office, and my last week of feeling stressed and anxious 24/7!

It hasn't sunk in that I'm leaving yet, but once I've dropped my laptop off at the end of the day on Friday you better believe I'm running straight to the nearest bar and celebrating

I'm currently out of work (long story) but am looking to relocate from the SE to the NW of England in the next few months and think it would be easier to find a fully-remote job that I can move with and then either stick with it or look for something based close to where I'll be living.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to find genuine remote job listings in the UK? My experience is in marketing with some admin too.

I was talking to a friend who (I love her but I have to be honest) is a mess and she told me that she got a job as a Community Manager for a big wine company because a friend of hers works there. I was sooo happy for her because getting a job here is harder than winning an AOTY Grammy... until she showed me her LinkedIn chat with the person who told her she got the job, the HR lady wrote to her at 7 am and my friend replied at 6 pm telling her that it was so nice to wake up from her daily 3.5 hours nap to good news. It's a remote position from 9 am to 6 pm. Why would you tell them you take naps every day during your work hours? Then, my friend told me that she wrote her entire application and the project they made her do as a test with ChatGPT. Am I just a bitter asshole because I can't get a job even though I'm qualified and mostly do great in interviews? Probably.

She/Her/Queen
Bonus is coming in next week and I'll have to have a conversation with my boss about working remote indefinitely instead of monthly breaks in a year with her permission. I don't wanna be tied down anymore - either change my contract, I request to go on a sabbatical while I look for something or I'm just gonna be out of work for a few months looking for something else without a job. I wonder if she'll take this as a threat but I don't wanna lie to her.

I'm not giving up summer in EU. I need to live my best life. I've already demonstrated for many years that the job still gets done whether I'm in the country or not.

She/Her/Queen
The bonus call came in and I'm not gagging.

I can't believe I kinda manifested that announcement with the post above nn

Talking to a friend during lunch, every time I meet him, he discussed a few problems at work. So I ask him "when I zoom out, I see a trend that every time we meet you complain about work, is it not time to move on?" and boy did he took it wrong. 10 Minutes after I received a text saying he felt insulted and all. It's not terrible advice when there's no room for him to grow further at the company he's at (he said that himself today), and also he's been there quite a long time (5 years)? On top of that, there was more and usually people already move somewhere else after that.

I'm not saying work is always perfect for anyone, but ah well. Anyway, I apologized and told him nothing was meant as an insult at all, and previously he was looking for something else already? Then he texted back saying he'll only make small talk with me in future which sounds very degrading. He probably needs some time to cool down, which is fine.

Talking to a friend during lunch, every time I meet him, he discussed a few problems at work. So I ask him "when I zoom out, I see a trend that every time we meet you complain about work, is it not time to move on?" and boy did he took it wrong. 10 Minutes after I received a text saying he felt insulted and all. It's not terrible advice when there's no room for him to grow further at the company he's at (he said that himself today), and also he's been there quite a long time (5 years)? On top of that, there was more and usually people already move somewhere else after that.

I'm not saying work is always perfect for anyone, but ah well. Anyway, I apologized and told him nothing was meant as an insult at all, and previously he was looking for something else already? Then he texted back saying he'll only make small talk with me in future which sounds very degrading. He probably needs some time to cool down, which is fine.
That's a bit of a weird reaction to be honest. A few people have said the same thing to me and I'm like "YES I definitely need to move on you're absolutely correct" ddd

He might be trying everything in his power to find something else but it's just not really panning out so he's feeling a bit lost or something. Definitely an overreaction on his part though.

Really struggling at work and it's literally all I can think about. I had to take almost 4 months off because of health and have just finished my phased return. Everyone has been so supportive and sweet- PARTICULARLY my boss, who even visited me in intensive care. 2 months later and she's still regularly checking in with me and making sure I'm being totally honest with her about how I'm feeling and not telling her things I think she wants to hear. She pretty much knows me inside out. Even though many different stakeholders have said how much I was missed and how my way of managing people has been missed, I'm suffering the worst imposter syndrome. Part of it is because my friend, who is on the same level as me, let slip a few things over summer that the person between us and our boss (she's not our line manager but she is senior to us) has said about me. This includes showing me a text message about my performance in an Ofsted meeting, the content of which I can prove is an outright lie. These two have now become thick as thieves and act as if they run the place. Constantly on the phone to each other or in each others' offices (which even our boss has commented on). Because of what I know about this person senior to me, it's making me paranoid about what she's going to be saying to my friend (who I'm assuming is welcoming whatever is being said, since this woman felt comfortable enough to trash-talk me in a text message). My boyfriend, who is highly perceptive, and a few experienced colleagues have said it's because she knows I was going to go for her job but then dropped out because of said health issues, and knows I would have got it. But I just can't believe anything positive about myself at work right now and am constantly second guessing myself or just remaining quiet. I want to move on but it's like I've convinced myself that nowhere else would have me. I also don't want to leave my boss. I'm really hoping it's just something I'll get over.