The Workplace & Job Hunting

It really irritates me how long the job application process takes. Like... this job I'm waiting to hear from I applied at the beginning of December last year and got a call for an interview in mid February (a two month gap!). Then at the interview I was told I'd know within one to two weeks (which has now passed and my references haven't even been contacted). I don't understand what the hold up is?!

It really irritates me how long the job application process takes. Like... this job I'm waiting to hear from I applied at the beginning of December last year and got a call for an interview in mid February (a two month gap!). Then at the interview I was told I'd know within one to two weeks (which has now passed and my references haven't even been contacted). I don't understand what the hold up is?!
Can’t speak for others but the firm I’m at has a hiring freeze. It’s impossible to get a headcount. And when job postings go up, it takes forever to get a list of candidates. Sometimes, postings are pre-scheduled and don’t always conform with actual hiring plans. Hang in there. The right one will come along, but keep networking. It feels impossible but you’ll catch a break eventually.

Send an email chase up to them to ask for an update?

New job. First fully remote position. Good pay. Except.... people only ever send me work every now and then? I've asked for more work more times and ways than I knew how, but literally this Monday I asked (indirectly) for something to do and my boss replied by putting me to research something completely outside of my scope/know-how.

Can't help but fear I'm about to be laid off at any moment, they're paying me X much to do so little?

New job. First fully remote position. Good pay. Except.... people only ever send me work every now and then? I've asked for more work more times and ways than I knew how, but literally this Monday I asked (indirectly) for something to do and my boss replied by putting me to research something completely outside of my scope/know-how.

Can't help but fear I'm about to be laid off at any moment, they're paying me X much to do so little?
The dream.

The dream.

Various friends have said similar, but I'm wracked with anxiety every day thinking about how I'm not giving them their money's worth.

It's gotten to the point where my anxiety paralyses me from doing anything else - like I just sit before the computer and flick from Twitter to group chats to PJ to Discord, without feeling "able" to engage in any meaningful personal projects or make any use of all this free time I now have.

The fact I'm massively in debt and living paycheck to paycheck only adds to my anxiety, I need this job.

Have you ever had it been really busy than now or about the same? Have your colleagues mentioned it being busy or quiet?

There are times when it will be busy and then times where it's quiet.

You've been in touch with everyone about asking for more work and haven't given you any, so not much you can do.

You could try and learn new skills or do some training to fill in that time?

Have there been many layoffs recently? If not then it's probably your anxiety going into overdrive.

Have you ever had it been really busy than now or about the same? Have your colleagues mentioned it being busy or quiet?

There are times when it will be busy and then times where it's quiet.

You've been in touch with everyone about asking for more work and haven't given you any, so not much you can do.

You could try and learn new skills or do some training to fill in that time?

Have there been many layoffs recently? If not then it's probably your anxiety going into overdrive.

I was hired by parent company to work (allocated by them) in a new company they're opening.
It's a new company and the stated intention that I will be the start of a new department, which right now is just me.
Everyone else seems very busy but largely because they're involved with various other things/other companies.
They're expanding, not laying anyone off, but then again that's only as far as I know, since my only contact with folks is online.

I've considered both trying to learn new things and get new side-gigs but again, largely paralyzed by anxiety and the feeling it will all go to shit once they wake up and realize they're paying me 'too much' to do 'too little'.

If you're the start of a new department it makes sense that things are a bit slow now. If they're not showing signs of being worried about your production then you're either doing as much as expected or you'll get a ton of work as soon as your department is fully running.

Last edited:
I was hired by parent company to work (allocated by them) in a new company they're opening.
It's a new company and the stated intention that I will be the start of a new department, which right now is just me.
Everyone else seems very busy but largely because they're involved with various other things/other companies.
They're expanding, not laying anyone off, but then again that's only as far as I know, since my only contact with folks is online.

I've considered both trying to learn new things and get new side-gigs but again, largely paralyzed by anxiety and the feeling it will all go to shit once they wake up and realize they're paying me 'too much' to do 'too little'.
As long as you keep being proactive and doing your job well, you should be fine. You're going to miss those quiet days when the department is up and running.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
Various friends have said similar, but I'm wracked with anxiety every day thinking about how I'm not giving them their money's worth.

It's gotten to the point where my anxiety paralyses me from doing anything else - like I just sit before the computer and flick from Twitter to group chats to PJ to Discord, without feeling "able" to engage in any meaningful personal projects or make any use of all this free time I now have.

The fact I'm massively in debt and living paycheck to paycheck only adds to my anxiety, I need this job.
I would do as much as they ask and don’t stress yourself. We’re living in times of mass burnout so let it rock! Also, anything that you can push over to savings in case the position ends, will give you at least a little cushion in the interim.

I have the same on cuz half the staff is free (yay for Dutch part-time culture) on Wednesday and the other half free on Friday. Just a handful work full-time. Those days, I work from home and just relax, browsing here and doing some stuff so I have a head-start on Thursday. Dump out a newsletter and mostly trying to find stuff that stimulates my brain - we get some time each month to focus on other stuff outside direct responsibilities/tasks, which is nice. At the office, nobody cares about the hours you make as long as you finish your deadlines, so people come in after 9 and leave strictly at 5 - and we don't work even in government. It's been like that for almost 4 years and counting. And most crazy of it all? This salary bought me a fucking house, which is almost impossible in the Netherlands, but definitely on just 1 income. I am the exception, no other person I know has their own house by themselves, unless parents donate 100k.

Yay to stress-free, independent, never overtime employment for a good check! It's fantastic. It completely fits the theory I read in Rework (book). Also; my mental health has since then improved so much and that's I could deal with the lockdowns. A blessing.

But considering it's in a new department for you, it can grow to become more.

Last edited:

As others have said this is fairly common with new companies and expansions – things take a while to settle in.

I've had too little work before and I used this "downtime" during work hours to up my skillset in other areas by doing a course where I learned something that would increase my pay grade/be really good on my CV. I probably wouldn't have had the impetus to do it in my actual spare time, but feeling like I'm scamming it out of work hours meant I was more motivated.

Being paid to be on the clock and glow yourself up is invaluable, so grab it while you can before they start heaping more work on you.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
Had my final pre-hire meeting with our executive director and got my official start date + offer letter to sign! This has been THEE longest hiring process that I've had to endure, but gee whiz - they pay for all my benefits and so many elective options in the full package. Plus I get to stay in my field and will be debt-free by 2025!

She/Her/Queen
The way I'm dragging to speak to my boss for fear of being said NO to and the prices for tickets and my summer in Europe work-cation are just rising - I'm sado masochist confirmedttt. I'll do it this week. I need to catch her in the right mood.

he/him/basic cishomo
Had my final pre-hire meeting with our executive director and got my official start date + offer letter to sign! This has been THEE longest hiring process that I've had to endure, but gee whiz - they pay for all my benefits and so many elective options in the full package. Plus I get to stay in my field and will be debt-free by 2025!
I fucking love to see the good ones win. I'm positively thrilled for you Arroz!

December/January is typically a tricky period for hiring, at least from my experience, because of the number of staff who is away. I was trying to recruit to a role but then some people (directors/HR staff/others) are not around to approve the recruitment or even around to be part of the interviewing panel.

You should definitely contact them if they told you you'll hear within a couple of weeks but have not heard back yet though.

December/January is typically a tricky period for hiring, at least from my experience, because of the number of staff who is away. I was trying to recruit to a role but then some people (directors/HR staff/others) are not around to approve the recruitment or even around to be part of the interviewing panel.

You should definitely contact them if they told you you'll hear within a couple of weeks but have not heard back yet though.
I've made peace with the fact that I haven't got it now nn. I'm just going to apply for some graduate programs starting in 2025 now because I feel like I'm getting absolutely nowhere applying for these jobs every single day - they all seem to want people with a million years experience (which I... can't get if nobody gives me a chance).

I just honestly never dreamt it would be this hard/take this long with a degree under my belt!

Last edited: