The Workplace & Job Hunting

Guys, I'm really stuck. Its a nice position to be in, but basically I have two offers on the table and I'm trying to decide which one to go for.

I work in TV production. The first role is quite a low-level role but on one of the biggest TV shows in the UK by one of the biggest TV production companies. I've done some intermittent work with them before but never a full series, so it's a great way to get myself out there and known by them for future role. It would be really good to be on their books for future series.

The second role is a much more senior role, but for a tiny, tiny show for a tiny, tiny production company. I've worked with this production company before extensively, and so I don't want to burn bridges with them either.

To clarify, I'm a freelancer so both of these jobs are for 10 weeks-ish. Pay is higher on the second role.

I genuinely am so so so stuck. Part of me thinks I should do the first one because that opportunity might not come around again, whereas because I'm well-known and liked by the second I think that opportunity for the senior role might be there in 3 months time on a different show.

However, the second role would look very good on my CV so it might put me in good stead to go back to the first company in the future for a higher role. Argh!!! I don't know!!!!!!!

Reactions: Sam
Guys, I'm really stuck. Its a nice position to be in, but basically I have two offers on the table and I'm trying to decide which one to go for.

I work in TV production. The first role is quite a low-level role but on one of the biggest TV shows in the UK by one of the biggest TV production companies. I've done some intermittent work with them before but never a full series, so it's a great way to get myself out there and known by them for future role. It would be really good to be on their books for future series.

The second role is a much more senior role, but for a tiny, tiny show for a tiny, tiny production company. I've worked with this production company before extensively, and so I don't want to burn bridges with them either.

To clarify, I'm a freelancer so both of these jobs are for 10 weeks-ish. Pay is higher on the second role.

I genuinely am so so so stuck. Part of me thinks I should do the first one because that opportunity might not come around again, whereas because I'm well-known and liked by the second I think that opportunity for the senior role might be there in 3 months time on a different show.

However, the second role would look very good on my CV so it might put me in good stead to go back to the first company in the future for a higher role. Argh!!! I don't know!!!!!!!
I would weigh up other options:
- Which of the people did you get better on with or have worked with better?
- What benefits do each job offer besides salary?
- Is it hybrid or office bound? What is the commute like for each?
- Where do you see yourself career wise? More senior role or still haven't decided? Thar would determine which role to go for too.
- Working environment for each? Who would you be reporting to, day to day role?

Good luck and hope this helps!

he/him/basic cishomo
I'm extremely fortunate to have found the one company here that I fit into, too.
Nn aged like milk, my professional world is on track to implode, and I'm really in no position to make these kinds of life decisions for myself. Adopt me rich dads of Popjustice? If I tag @Vasilios am I a slut?

We've got a weekend ahead to make some phone calls and pray! It was an integral part of my life, I really did find a place where I belonged and grew as a person, got managers from before who helped me and still care about me to this day. They were completely unhinged and volatile and loved getting drunk every Tuesday night like true alcoholic masochists: my people!

It's hard to be shown that it's all in the past now, and to have to find the wherewithal in my weary soul to play this game again. So, GOD WILLING, I'll be able to lean on the good people I've met along the way to make it less shit. But miss Life once again reminds me to not get too attached to anything, and it hurts a bitsy.

Literally after a whole year trying to get a decent job and doing whatever freelance thingy I could find I got a new job!!!! I started last Friday, so this was my first complete week there and I love it. I'm scared because it's a lot of work and a bit intimidating but everyone's been so nice to me and the job itself is pretty fun too. I'm so used to giving, etc etc.

Sam

he/they
Had my half year review and it was pretty much all about my transition from my previous role to this one (coming up almost 3 months now which is crazy). My manager just sang my praises which was lush to hear, considering I feel like I don’t actually … do anything for a lot of the time.

They’re hiring another 2 heads soon and he’s going to push for me to get one of those permanent contracts and have someone new take over my secondment, but then if that’s not possible then there’s no doubt I’ll be made permanent eventually when my secondment ends at the end of November. Essentially I’m already part of the resourcing plan, and I’m going to be taking on a bit more responsibility from next week which will add another string to my bow. Hopefully it’s sooner rather than later cause it would mean another bump in pay but I’m happy either way!

Last Friday I finally got feedback from the last interview I attended and the woman from HR was lovely, she has even offered to help me in her own time by looking over my applications if I want to send them to her?? I'm a bit blown away. She said I have great potential and I interviewed really well, I just don't have enough experience in the sector (which really frustrates me because the problem I'm having is nobody giving me a chance to gain experience dd). She suggested I start applying for lower level positions that will help me gain experience within government and go from there.

So that's what I did and I have an interview on Wednesday for an Administrative and Research Assistant! It's a level below what I've been applying for (a level 3 instead of a 4) but it really feels like it would be a decent starting point for where I want to go. I don't really care about the salary at this point (although it's by no means terrible), I just want to get the experience and get on the ladder!

I think I'm starting to become immune to nerves regarding interviews though, all of the ones I've attended since I've graduated I've spent the entire week before nervous as hell, but for this I don't feel nervous at all. I'm obviously still going to try my hardest, but it's kinda giving if it's meant to be it will be and if not then

giphy.gif

Last Friday I finally got feedback from the last interview I attended and the woman from HR was lovely, she has even offered to help me in her own time by looking over my applications if I want to send them to her?? I'm a bit blown away. She said I have great potential and I interviewed really well, I just don't have enough experience in the sector (which really frustrates me because the problem I'm having is nobody giving me a chance to gain experience dd). She suggested I start applying for lower level positions that will help me gain experience within government and go from there.

So that's what I did and I have an interview on Wednesday for an Administrative and Research Assistant! It's a level below what I've been applying for (a level 3 instead of a 4) but it really feels like it would be a decent starting point for where I want to go. I don't really care about the salary at this point (although it's by no means terrible), I just want to get the experience and get on the ladder!

I think I'm starting to become immune to nerves regarding interviews though, all of the ones I've attended since I've graduated I've spent the entire week before nervous as hell, but for this I don't feel nervous at all. I'm obviously still going to try my hardest, but it's kinda giving if it's meant to be it will be and if not then

giphy.gif
Just finished this interview and I don't know girls. It all felt very... clinical? There was no "tell me about yourself" or the usual questions and I feel like my personality didn't really get the chance to shine through. I didn't get massively positive vibes. But they also told me about how parking spots work at the end though so I really don't know.

I did my best.

giphy.gif

Just finished this interview and I don't know girls. It all felt very... clinical? There was no "tell me about yourself" or the usual questions and I feel like my personality didn't really get the chance to shine through. I didn't get massively positive vibes. But they also told me about how parking spots work at the end though so I really don't know.

I did my best.

giphy.gif
It probably went better than you think!

I did my best.
I work in government (in another state though so it may not be the exact same), and interviews for government jobs can be very clinical in general because it is very structured and we have to ask each selection criteria. If they ask any other question, it is entirely up to the interviewing panel but in most cases, they are not even supposed to be part of the consideration.

All the best!

Fingers crossed for you @MusicLover1994

I complained that I thought my salary increase was on the low end, as it was the same as last year - when the company did not extend temp contracts and got rid of an useless layer of staff. They promised me more the year after, but here I am with the same 8%. Then this year just emailed it all at the same time, and go on holiday so people have to put in some big effort to discuss it. Well, turns out I’m not getting any more but at least they told me I was in the Top 4 increases, ah well. Hopefully it notices me to keep on growing. I do feel I’m in a tough spot to compare market rates as I do about 2-3 specialities in one job, so there’s no info about things and besides the industry is not big in NL, so not a lot of info about compensation either.

He/they
So I’ve been in the same industry (opticians) since 2009, and in my current job for over 9 years now - I left Boots Opticians to work in an independent optical boutique. I really enjoy what I do, but recently I’ve become a bit jaded by it.
I was hired as an optical assistant, which is just a fancy way of saying I sell glasses (although it’s still pretty skilled and involved) but I do so much more - I run the store’s social media and manage the website, I’m a lab technician, I help the owner with the accounting, I tend to be the only one who orders the things that keeps the store running, I stock pretty much everything that comes in - and there’s probably things I’ve forgotten. It keeps me busy and it’s nice variety but it’s a lot of work!
I’ve been receiving what I thought what was a reasonable salary, and we get a sizeable bonus most months - but since minimum wage increased this month I crunched the numbers and turns out that’s where my pay now is. Considering the owner hasn’t spoken to me about pay and the fact she’s a big Tory I can only assume I’m now going to earning minimum wage. I do far too much work to be on minimum wage.
We’re only a small team (me, my colleague - who is amazing, the manager and owner/optom) and we all work well together, but my manager has been pretty lacking the last couple of years. He spends most of the day in the basement (and I often think he’s not working down there all the time) and has a tendency to ignore problems and things that need doing. Hes been working on an admittedly complex order since August. We had some lenses arrive recently for it but they were wrong - it took him over a week to get them reordered and still left it to me and my colleague to deal with the customer.
On top of all that, the shop needs some TLC and attention. Part of the ceiling leaks when it rains, our main computer runs really slowly, we’ve got all the equipment to make our own frames and have done for 8 years but nothings been done about it, it gets too hot in summer and too cold in winter, the shelves were installed when the shop opened in 1998, I could go on. But the owner isn’t particularly keen on spending money.
This has turned into a pretty big rant. I do enjoy working there but recently I’ve felt somewhat unappreciated. I know my colleague struggles working with the manager at times and would feel bad if I do leave because it would just leave the two of them for a while, but I’ve come to realise that that isn’t my problem.
End of the story is I’ve got a ‘video screening call’ with another company this afternoon. Haven’t interviewed in such a long time but feeling pretty confident too and I am pretty hopeful that I get the job. More money for less responsibility can never be bad!

So I’ve been in the same industry (opticians) since 2009, and in my current job for over 9 years now - I left Boots Opticians to work in an independent optical boutique. I really enjoy what I do, but recently I’ve become a bit jaded by it.
I was hired as an optical assistant, which is just a fancy way of saying I sell glasses (although it’s still pretty skilled and involved) but I do so much more - I run the store’s social media and manage the website, I’m a lab technician, I help the owner with the accounting, I tend to be the only one who orders the things that keeps the store running, I stock pretty much everything that comes in - and there’s probably things I’ve forgotten. It keeps me busy and it’s nice variety but it’s a lot of work!
I’ve been receiving what I thought what was a reasonable salary, and we get a sizeable bonus most months - but since minimum wage increased this month I crunched the numbers and turns out that’s where my pay now is. Considering the owner hasn’t spoken to me about pay and the fact she’s a big Tory I can only assume I’m now going to earning minimum wage. I do far too much work to be on minimum wage.
We’re only a small team (me, my colleague - who is amazing, the manager and owner/optom) and we all work well together, but my manager has been pretty lacking the last couple of years. He spends most of the day in the basement (and I often think he’s not working down there all the time) and has a tendency to ignore problems and things that need doing. Hes been working on an admittedly complex order since August. We had some lenses arrive recently for it but they were wrong - it took him over a week to get them reordered and still left it to me and my colleague to deal with the customer.
On top of all that, the shop needs some TLC and attention. Part of the ceiling leaks when it rains, our main computer runs really slowly, we’ve got all the equipment to make our own frames and have done for 8 years but nothings been done about it, it gets too hot in summer and too cold in winter, the shelves were installed when the shop opened in 1998, I could go on. But the owner isn’t particularly keen on spending money.
This has turned into a pretty big rant. I do enjoy working there but recently I’ve felt somewhat unappreciated. I know my colleague struggles working with the manager at times and would feel bad if I do leave because it would just leave the two of them for a while, but I’ve come to realise that that isn’t my problem.
End of the story is I’ve got a ‘video screening call’ with another company this afternoon. Haven’t interviewed in such a long time but feeling pretty confident too and I am pretty hopeful that I get the job. More money for less responsibility can never be bad!

Have you bought all these issues with your manager when you have your one to one meetings of end of year review? That would be the best time to raise those concerns and all the extra responsibilities you take on, which you should be paid for.

If leaving the job, is the only resolution then yes go for it. Yes it's horrible to leave colleagues that you like behind but like you said that's not your problem. If anything they should be looking elsewhere too.

Good luck with the job interview and hopefully you will get the job! And less less responsibilities for more money is always a good thing.

HI Guys,

I have a wonderful job whereby i help work with vulnerable kids in a secondary school. Now i have been in the job for 6 years and absolutely love it, there have been a few staff changes recently and now i sit with 5 other members of staff, this includes one of the staff i previously shared an office with for 2 years, now that we all share an office the dynamics have changed a little bit. I always make other people feel welcome and whenever im having a conversation i ALWAYS include others as well so tat no-one is ever felt left out, i have a great rapport with one of the members of staff whom i previously shared an office with but have never let anyone else felt that we are both thick as thieves as i am always mindful that i am not excluding others. However i have learnt that not everyone shares the same values as you.

I share a room now with the campus police officer, i know him from outside of work in fact and he is a cracking too guy, i get on well with him outside of work and his family too. However he does like to dominate a conversation and i have felt when he is having conversation with other colleagues he can run with a conversation and hardly give others chance sometimes, i feel that this is unfair a bit and he maybe needs to read other people cues that other people want to add something to the conversation. He was an officer and always like to take charge if you like, but im sure its not malicious, at least i dont think so, its not just me, he might cut others off too.

My question is how do i tackle this, i feel sometimes to express myself i have to deliberatly cut hem off a bit or even talk over them which i feel is childish. There is another adult in the room and she is similar so between both of them its just like UGH.

he/him/basic cishomo
HI Guys,

I have a wonderful job whereby i help work with vulnerable kids in a secondary school. Now i have been in the job for 6 years and absolutely love it, there have been a few staff changes recently and now i sit with 5 other members of staff, this includes one of the staff i previously shared an office with for 2 years, now that we all share an office the dynamics have changed a little bit. I always make other people feel welcome and whenever im having a conversation i ALWAYS include others as well so tat no-one is ever felt left out, i have a great rapport with one of the members of staff whom i previously shared an office with but have never let anyone else felt that we are both thick as thieves as i am always mindful that i am not excluding others. However i have learnt that not everyone shares the same values as you.

I share a room now with the campus police officer, i know him from outside of work in fact and he is a cracking too guy, i get on well with him outside of work and his family too. However he does like to dominate a conversation and i have felt when he is having conversation with other colleagues he can run with a conversation and hardly give others chance sometimes, i feel that this is unfair a bit and he maybe needs to read other people cues that other people want to add something to the conversation. He was an officer and always like to take charge if you like, but im sure its not malicious, at least i dont think so, its not just me, he might cut others off too.

My question is how do i tackle this, i feel sometimes to express myself i have to deliberatly cut hem off a bit or even talk over them which i feel is childish. There is another adult in the room and she is similar so between both of them its just like UGH.
You have to approach this carefully, really. I know people like this who are positively lovely but have this deep need to fill gaps in conversations. I'd suggest using conversational mechanics to slyly and maybe somewhat subconsciously get the message across. A fave method of mine: let Blabbers interrupt someone, then smile/laugh and look back at the person who got interrupted and say, "What were you about to say NotBlabbers?"

It's probably not worth making it into a big thing if it's not veering into blatant disrespect. Hell, there's a good chance the blabby one is cognizant of it, as is the case with some of my blabby work pals. If you have a good relationship you can address it point blank and have a good laugh about it.

HI Guys,

I found this article and seems to have good points.

https://cruciallearning.com/blog/talking-with-someone-who-always-dominates-the-conversation/

Summary
How to Deal with Someone Who Dominates Conversations

• If someone frequently dominates conversations, address the issue promptly to avoid building resentment.

• Acknowledge your own role in allowing the pattern to continue and take responsibility for setting boundaries.

• Express your concerns in a respectful and loving manner, focusing on how the situation affects you.

• Negotiate a way to manage your time boundaries and communicate your need for space in the conversation.

You have to approach this carefully, really. I know people like this who are positively lovely but have this deep need to fill gaps in conversations. I'd suggest using conversational mechanics to slyly and maybe somewhat subconsciously get the message across. A fave method of mine: let Blabbers interrupt someone, then smile/laugh and look back at the person who got interrupted and say, "What were you about to say NotBlabbers?"

It's probably not worth making it into a big thing if it's not veering into blatant disrespect. Hell, there's a good chance the blabby one is cognizant of it, as is the case with some of my blabby work pals. If you have a good relationship you can address it point blank and have a good laugh about it.

If its not veering into blatant disrespect, not yet at least anyway, lets hope it stays that way.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
Not only did my boss high-five me this week for getting two of my newly-assigned clients to attend their oft-ignored initial mental-health appointments, but she commended me for already having a social work background for the role. My passion has been this want to help people for so long... and it's so rewarding to not only do work that supports that, but also having a supervisor that can see me want to do good things and for her to want to support me, too.

I've always found good elements in every position that I've had, but this one just feels natural and where I'm meant to be. I'm so proud of my clients and also glad that I get the opportunity to be there for them.