The Workplace & Job Hunting

Need to vent. The new deputy at my school has this awful way of making people feel stupid (2 others said this just yesterday) and it's getting to me so much, to the point where I've started waking up around 4.30 each morning and ruminating on it. She acts as though she's the only one with knowledge, skills and experience (she slates the headteacher behind her back) and in almost every conversation she has she mentions her experience, her MA or the fact that her husband (another headteacher) has a doctorate. She's only marginally more qualified than me (though with more experience) and ever since she's started I've had terrible imposter syndrome, despite the fact that parents and governors regularly praise me. It doesn't help that my friend at work showed me a text she sent, outright lying about my performance during a school inspection (a lie which even the head would disprove if she got wind of it). I'd look for another job were it not for the fact that I'm still having to have weekly checkups after an organ transplant and my boss is extremely understanding and basically gives me whatever time I need.
I feel like I already have the answers as to how I should deal with her but it's got to the point where I'd just lose my nerve if it came down to it.

Need to vent. The new deputy at my school has this awful way of making people feel stupid (2 others said this just yesterday) and it's getting to me so much, to the point where I've started waking up around 4.30 each morning and ruminating on it. She acts as though she's the only one with knowledge, skills and experience (she slates the headteacher behind her back) and in almost every conversation she has she mentions her experience, her MA or the fact that her husband (another headteacher) has a doctorate. She's only marginally more qualified than me (though with more experience) and ever since she's started I've had terrible imposter syndrome, despite the fact that parents and governors regularly praise me. It doesn't help that my friend at work showed me a text she sent, outright lying about my performance during a school inspection (a lie which even the head would disprove if she got wind of it). I'd look for another job were it not for the fact that I'm still having to have weekly checkups after an organ transplant and my boss is extremely understanding and basically gives me whatever time I need.
I feel like I already have the answers as to how I should deal with her but it's got to the point where I'd just lose my nerve if it came down to it.

Can you speak to the head about it?

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
She has a vague idea about it already but likely won’t do anything.
If there are more people on the receiving end of such behavior, then I would rally them together to make their own complaints. At this point she's a liability to the organization/school if she's disrupting staff that were functioning well before her arrival, and it's better to rid the place of one bad apple rather than let the others suffer at the end of her abuse.

I’ve been in my new role for around 6 weeks now and had a meeting with a higher up I’d not met before today. They asked a bit about my background and then said “are you enjoying it?” (about my role) but I misheard them and thought they’d said “are you a joiner?” so I was like “no!” wondering why they thought I’d be so good with carpentry nn

she/her
Hi! I'd like to hear the experience of people who moved countries to work on how hard the visa sponsorship was.

I'm going back to Brazil next month as this is my last semester in Master's, and as much as Portugal is probably the easiest one visa-wise, it's not the best one for my area (I am mainly a Brazilian Portuguese translator, and nearly all the language-related vacancy I've seen here seems to be for European Portuguese).

So at this point I am kind of in a loss on what to do.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
Another great element of my new position: my supervisor is a Black lesbian woman from Central America. The way she has nurtured me, been patient with me, and also been attentive are some of the hallmarks that I've been wanting in a supervisor since I first began my work in case management in 2014. I told her how I'm very observant and strong at creating links/discovering relational bonds/resource proliferation and she simply said "I know. I can see it in how you show up everyday", which really honed in on how much I feel my education and natural skills are respected and actively utilized in my new role.

I got to help her and her wife with their MacBooks last week which was fun to show off my tech knowledge, but also to foster more trust and kindness between us. She even noted how much she is responsible as a supervisor to be aware of my learning style and to ensure that she provides learning to me in a way that respects what needs to be done, but also how I'm capable of accomplishing it. I honestly come into work happy every damn day, which is a 180 compared to the first job that I had for five years here in NYC. When you believe in the work/the mission, and know you're capable of not only doing it, alongside having a work-life balance that waters your garden... it just feels right. I had been hoping for this for so, so long.