The X-Factor 2008

Lulu is the favourite.

I now hope Sharon leaving is a publicity stunt and if not I will personally pay whatever she's demanding to come back even if it means selling my body to Louis Walsh three times a week to prevent this outcome.

Charley

Staff member
News Of The World (well...) is claiming Mel B is front runner. I actually think this could be really good!

Mel B would be good. She's got a cracking personality and she's actually got #1s to her name - which Dannii has never had. And I'm not including club chart positions, I'm talking about real charts!

I love the idea of Cheryl. When Girls Aloud mentored last year for a week, Cheryl was the most enthusiastic and encouraging...it could work! Anything but Sharon though. When she wishes her kids happy birthdays it's just embarrassing.

Edit: And the Sun is now reporting that she's going to switch to Strictly Come Dancing. Dear lord.

Does anyone really believe that Cheryl is ever a serious contender and not just a name touted about by the X-Factor people for a bit of publicity.

I mean it was like last year, those 'in the know' were telling you till they were blue in the face Dannii had got the job and yet we were still caught up in the whole media circus where the X-Factor bosses were going round expressing interests in Cheryl and Victoria (hmmm the two most 'famous' and tabloid friendly of British pop babes).

I pretty positive the decision has already been made and talks with the replacement were going on while Sharon was still potentially in, all that needs doing is the t's crossing and the i's dotting but they'll still put on this facade that they're 'looking'.

RhythmNative said:
I don't think Cheryl would ever do it, but it doesn't meant that Simon wouldn't want her to do it.
Hmmm I'd beg to differ.

Having someone like Cheryl would be a logistical nightmare. She's a member of a fully functional pop group and multi-media industry, her priorities would lie elsewhere, I don't see Simon as the kind of person who'd come second fiddle. If you work him, that is your priority

She's a great name to say you want as it provides cracking publicity but I doubt they would touch her with a barge-pole because it would be a task and a half to negotiate and sort out so everyone ie Simon, Facisnation, Girls Aloud Inc and Cheryl herself would be happy.

The condition of the X Factor producers would be that while Cheryl did X- Factor her Girls Aloud duties would go on hold. One of the major reasons Cheryl wouldn't agree to do the show. That's not to say that Simon wouldn't want her to put Girls Aloud on hold for the benefit of his show.

You seem to be suggesting that Simon Cowell wouldn't approach Cheryl because he gives a tosh about the longevity of Girls Aloud. Remember, this man is the devil incarnate. If it made his show more of a hit he wouldn't care which group he split up.

You also suggest that Syco wouldn't 'bother' approaching Cheryl because of the logistics of negotiation. Do you really think that 'effort' is a factor in this? That's not quite how these things work. They would approach Cheryl through Hilary and ask her if she wants to do it. Cheryl would discuss her options with Hilary and Fascination - consider what she would like to do and then come back with an answer. Yes or No.

The effort wouldn't be on the part of the people making the offer, but the people deciding whether to accept.

RhythmNative said:
The condition of the X Factor producers would be that while Cheryl did X- Factor her Girls Aloud duties would go on hold. One of the major reasons Cheryl wouldn't agree to do the show. That's not to say that Simon wouldn't want her to put Girls Aloud on hold for the benefit of his show.

You seem to be suggesting that Simon Cowell wouldn't approach Cheryl because he gives a tosh about the longevity of Girls Aloud. Remember, this man is the devil incarnate. If it made his show more of a hit he wouldn't care which group he split up.

You also suggest that Syco wouldn't 'bother' approaching Cheryl because of the logistics of negotiation. Do you really think that 'effort' is a factor in this? That's not quite how these things work. They would approach Cheryl through Hilary and ask her if she wants to do it. Cheryl would discuss her options with Hilary and Fascination - consider what she would like to do and then come back with an answer. Yes or No.

The effort wouldn't be on the part of the people making the offer, but the people deciding whether to accept.
See what you've done there could be applied to anyone. 'If they did this then he'd want them'.

IF!

I'm pretty sure he'd want Beyonce Knowles if she was willing to work for £5 an hour and massage his head three times a day. The fact is that wouldn't be an option and you'd be pretty naive if you thought for one second that Cheryl and her people would submit to the kind of demands required that she would even be in position close enough for even a sniff of an offer to be made. Simon isn't a stupid man, he'd know that.

See I was talking about the logistics of a situation Cheryl currently is in as opposed to a theorised one of 'well if she did that'. If it were that simple I'm sure there are a dozen people he'd want more than Cheryl.

You've totally taken what I said and subverted in. These kind of jobs are always down to certain conditions like pay, availability, position - what jobs aren't!?

Of course Beyonce would be out of the question because of the level of her 'star' and her profile in the US, but I actually think that Cheryl (as much as a fan I am) is on a 'border' between being a brilliant booking for one of these shows and being 'too big' for it.

You aim high with these kind of things. The complications of putting in an offer are worth the benefits if the desired person says 'Yes'. What's much worse is not bothering and realising too late that the person you really wanted would have said "yes" all along.

I'm not totally pulling this out of my arse. I know that Cheryl was approached last year, and I really have nothing to gain from making that up. So believe what you will.

As I said on another forum....

If the Osbourne has stropped off, can Boy George be the replacement.

Aiming jibes at Louis would be enough for me - he doesn't even have to bother with the mentoring.

At this point, I'd like to remind people that I really DON'T want Cheryl to do X Factor. She's bloody fantastic as a popstar and I'd like her to keep doing that thankyouverymuch.

Like I said in the Girls Aloud thread, they may not even replace Sharon and go back to three categories, but I can see them either going for someone very high profile (Mel B, for example, Cheryl if they could get her) or an older lady that has some industry kudos (possibly Lulu, but she wasn't great on Just The Two Of Us).

Personally, I'd like them to take a non-singer, who really knows what they are talking about. I'd feel justice would have been served if they go for Zoe Tyler who was totally unjustifiable chopped from 'I'd Do Anything'.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Sharon ends up bloody doing it after all. She's now wading in and backing Cheryl (dunno if someone's said that already?) If this is all a big load of nonsense from X Factor's side, I'd be fuming if I was Cheryl!

X Factor is so maddenignly repetitive/predictable! Same stunts every year.

Much the same can be said of Big Brother though, which for some reason i still get sucked into.

I don't want Cheryl to do it either. She'd be good, but she's waaaay above it.

RhythmNative said:
I'm not totally pulling this out of my arse. I know that Cheryl was approached last year, and I really have nothing to gain from making that up. So believe what you will.
Possibly.

Two of my brothers drama pals had 'interest' shown in them for possibly the Doctor Who assistant role despite the fact it turned out Freema Agyeman had already been given the part some time before.

I'm not questioning an approach or the air of interest but that is a million miles aways from even coming close to thinking about an offer of which I don't believe would have been a consideration. It makes good publicity to 'approach' someone like Cheryl, to give the air of interest.

I don't think star or profile comes into to be honest, about whether she is or isn't 'big' enough, I think the bigger factor is the level of work and commitment her jobs entails and I just don't believe there was a realistic chance that Cheryl was considered a serious contender and was nothing more than a good name to keep the tabloids going.

Britain's Got Talent on the other hand (which there were much more stronger rumours re her being offered a judges seat) I could believe.

Does the work load between X Factor and Britain's Got Talent differ hugely? Yes the X Factor run is longer, but the BGT run is shorter and more concentrated - particularly the semi-finals where the judges are needed every night for a week.

As for the 'mentoring' conceit on X Factor, I seriously hope no one actually believe that and think it requires any of the mentors time. As Sharon revealed live on the show last series, the judges turn up on Saturday and cash their check. It's Simon's show and he and the exec producers decide who sings what.

RhythmNative said:
Does the work load between X Factor and Britain's Got Talent differ hugely? Yes the X Factor run is longer, but the BGT run is shorter and more concentrated - particularly the semi-finals where the judges are needed every night for a week.
It's not so much a matter of workload it's about convienence and having to balance and work around things.

You've just stated why one is so much easier than another... well when it comes to the finals/semi-finals. Putting a week aside is nothing, it's one event to work round however having to work-around several smaller periods over the course of weeks is way more inconvenient, it's a much bigger commitment by quite some margain. Once again it comes down to logistics.