The X Files | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

The X Files

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by spillett, Jan 19, 2015.

1. The reviews on IMDb are hilariously bad. I really need to watch this episode to see what the fuss is all about.

2. A mess. Cancel it.

3. The season premier was hectic. It took me a while to remember what happened in the previous season (not much).

It all feels a bit pointless, doesn't it?

Vitamin likes this.
  4. kal

kal

I understand why people are furious. They gave us that amazing cliffhanger and backtracked on all of it just to stretch the events out through another season.

Just give us the damn truth and end it.

5. The good thing is that the show and its impact and legacy are huge enough to not be damaged by these last uninspired seasons. No wonder Gillian said she’s not doing any more seasons.

6. This is so poorly written it's honestly embarrassing. I know I said this multiple times last season, but I really wish Chris Carter would have let somebody else do the writing.

I'll hold out for the monster-of-the-week-episodes.

DoggySwami, wodny and Tribal Spaceman like this.
  7. Upcoming episodes are miles better according to many reviews. Don't give up now.

8. The more I think about it, I'm quite shocked this show got a revival in the first place. The main arc has been messy since Season 5.

9. Everything is getting rebooted.

10. We already have Supernatural.

11. Fringe did an X-Files reboot better than, well, this is doing.

popBrit, Rob, Mikey1701 and 1 other person like this.
  12. They should have chucked this on Netflix and make it a bit darker/grittier.

I still haven't watched this episode yet though. Is it really that bad?

13. Now there is a show that knew to how to do a long running arc without disappearing up its own backside. At this point I want Fox to cancel the show, leave it a few years and reboot it with a clearer mythology.

14. Gillian has already stated she isn't doing anymore so unless they offer her another X Files movie I really don't think she'll be back for anymore series or reboots after this.

15. Episode 2 was much better, but again, it felt a little rushed, which was a shame as the story idea was really good. I hope we get more Barbara Hershey or otherwise they’re really wasting her.

16. Absolute scream at that rushed, messy season finale being Bobby Ewing-ed from existence. The writing in the season premiere was beyond lazy, beyond caricature. I hope it picks up.

17. I didn't hate the first episode as much as some seemed to. Of course the mythology is all over the shop and they really should just drop it and start something new or stick to jus monster of the week episodes but overall it was okay.

I quite liked the reveal at the end. The episode oddly felt similar to the second X Files movie it the way it was paced.

I'll catch the second episode and hope it's more classic X Files.

18. It was odd though. I concur with what some reviewers mentioned - that it felt more Black Mirror than X Files.

I'm still on board for this season, I certainly think Gillian and David are more 'into their characters' than they were the season before.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  19. Episode 3 was more of a 'monster of the week' episode but it still felt very different to classic X-Files. It was interesting to see the relationship between Mulder and Scully (and Scully basically just wanting the D).

I have to reiterate that this series definitely feels like David/Gillian are more invested in it and the writing is a lot darker. The last mini series felt like they were often shoe-horning in references to the past. This time it feels much different. I still stick by what I said before - that the tone of this series is very much in the same vein of the second X-Files movie.

Scully looks great. Her hair looks great. Mulder looks old but... still good. I think the series didn't make a greay impact on the first few episodes but I definitely felt like I was watching The X-Files during episode 3. I hope it continues on this level.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  20. The next episode looks at The Mandela Effect, so should be interesting.

spillett likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.