✖ The XTINA Discography Rate ✖: Eliminations Continue! | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

✖ The XTINA Discography Rate ✖: Eliminations Continue!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by BEST FICTION, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Let There Be Love and Army Of Me.
    But you guys might surprise me.

sfmartin, londonrain and Maki like this.

2. Iconic.

sesita and Maki like this.
  3. There were a few scores I was missing and waiting on, but I've got (almost) everything now. We've got 76 voters joining us on this journey!

So after many setbacks and delays this rate is finally ready to begin...

And our first song to be eliminated?

[​IMG]

I simply must go
    The answer is no

[​IMG]
    Baby, It's Cold Outside (with CeeLo Green): 3.395
    (@-M-), 8 (@tj-x, @unnameable)
    0 (@Sleepycat, @Verandi, @Trouble in Paradise, @Sail On, @OspreyQueen, @Robsolete, @RUNAWAY, @JMRGBY, @fatyoshi, @soratami, @RainOnFire)
    4 (@BEST FICTION)

[Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault]
    Well, can't say this was unexpected... Our first song to leave the rate is one of two CeeLo Green collaborations, deservedly so. "Baby, It's Cold Outside" was included on CeeLo's first Christmas studio album released on October 30, 2012. The album debut at #67 on the Hot 100 with 6,000 copies sold. It went on to peak at #25 and sold over 225,000 copies in it's lifetime. The album included collaborations with Rod Stewart and The Muppets as well as Christina. The original track was released in 1949 and was never intended as a Christmas song, but was strangely adapted as one in later years.

It's been covered over 50 times by the likes of Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Sia, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande & many more. In 2009 the song faced criticism for it's overly forceful & uncomfortable lyrical content. It's been likened to sexual harassment and date rape due to lyrics such as "What's in this drink?" These accusations were made even more sickening when CeeLo was accused of sexual battery by a woman on the day of the album's release. I won't go into detail on what he allegedly did, as that's not the point of this rate... But yeah, I think we can all say that this was probably the right choice to go first.

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  4. Good fucking riddance. I’m not sure why I didn’t give this a 0. My half a point was for Xtina sounding good on it, but really that isn’t good enough. Cee-Lo Green being on Xtina’s two worst songs, talent! Make The World Move next.

5. I don't even remember this song. I should have given it a much lower score oop.

6. [​IMG]

I was too nice on some of the extra songs.

Music Is Life, Push, myblood and 6 others like this.
  7. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

8. The man is fucking trash, but it's true testament to Christina's vocal power how she can turn a turd into an at least listenable song. I really don't mind Make the World Move, because I've bopped hard to it back in the day and gave it a score accordingly, but having said that, I wouldn't take it all that hard if it left already because of that man.

BEST FICTION and londonrain like this.
  9. The Tony Bennett duet should not last long either anymore.

BEST FICTION, Remorque and Maki like this.
  10. I howled at how they sounded like their vocals were cut out of 2 different songs and put together into this one. At one point I wasn't even sure I could decipher anything they were singing, because they kept bombarding me with their vocals from both sides.

11. Make The World Move / America next please and thank you.

[​IMG]

Music Is Life, evilsin, R27 and 6 others like this.
  12. Baby It's Cold Outside - 4,75
    ~ My third lowest score in this rate and therefore a great first elimination. I can't even recall listening to this one before the rate opened. It's not a horrible cover, and Christina sounds really good, so I didn't have a proper reason to tank it (which most likely wouldn't have changed its placement), but it's completely throwaway. I had no idea about the lyric controversy (and them literally not having anything to do with Christmas), but my score would've remained the same either way. And, yeah, Christmas music in the midst of summer and on one of the hottest days in Europe is definitely out.

"Make the World Move" should leave next.

13. Let's continue shall we....

[​IMG]

Did I say that I loathe you?
    Did I say that I want to
    And leave it all behind?

[​IMG]
    The Blower's Daughter (with Chris Mann): 4.743
    (@Sprockrooster), 8.5 (@jawow_, @eliminathan)
    0 (@soratami, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @LA Hallucinations), 1 (@Sleepycat, @Baby Loves To, @constantino, @Dangerous Maknae)
    5 (@BEST FICTION)

"The Blower's Daughter" was a collaboration released on Chris Mann's label debut album Roads on October 30, 2012... Yes, the same day as the CeeLo album, what a cursed time. The album followed Mann's stint on Season 2 of The Voice where he represented Team Xtina in the Top 4... placing fourth. A truly shitty year which started Adam Levine's character assassination of Xtina by dragging washed up Mouseketeer, Tony Lucca, through to the Top 4 simply to antagonise Xtina for not recognising him during the blind auditions... This album contained covers of Coldplay, Lady A (fka Lady Antebellum), Damien Rice & Frank Sintara. The album charted at #175 on the Hot 100 and was certified 1x Plexiglass for sales of 3.

Christina basically joins the song at 3:15... on a 4:45 song, and just as you'd expect, completely steals the show. Vocally she absolutely tears the roof off the track but sadly you have to dredge through 3 whole minutes of this Shane Dawson lookalike before we even hear her... The charity Xtina was doing in 2012 was far too much. Understandably the song is our second to leave, probably due to The Voice association and the fact that she's barely on it. The song is originally performed by Damien Rice who is a person who exists in this reality, as far as I know. And Chris Mann is now "going viral" for "COVID-19 parodies" of Hello by Adele, according to his Wikipedia, so exciting stuff for him..

So to wrap up, enjoy this gif of Xtina asking if Tony Lucca covering "99 Problems", presumably aimed at Xtina, was appropriate with his baby daughter in the audience. Meanwhile, his young daughter was actually not pictured in this shot and instead it cuts to his wife & son, and a shocked audience member questioning the gender of the child in front of him.

[​IMG]

14. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

The fucking layers ahshshshsjsjsjkskssk

15. Oh my GOD that moment in the audience was absolutely iconic skssksk a gif is needed; edit there is a gif dead. I'm blind.

This cover doesn't hold a candle to the original but it still has more quality to it than MTWM/America. Sad.

16. Whew the smell of unwashed, minimally talented, straight men and Sh*n*.

Music Is Life, Humes, junkos and 27 others like this.
  17. The gif is right below it though?

18. I had an eye on my mobile browser and another on my work laptop YES hollering again after all these years remembering that.

That poor child!

Music Is Life, Remorque, Maki and 2 others like this.
  19. What was even the point of having her on the track if she only comes in at the very end?

20. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I guess he thought it worked for Moves Like Jagger and Lady Marmalade, so...

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.