✖ The XTINA Discography Rate ✖: Eliminations Continue! | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

✖ The XTINA Discography Rate ✖: Eliminations Continue!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by BEST FICTION, Apr 30, 2020.

1. The amount of fillers on her debut is staggering. I didn't remember it being that bad?!

Maki likes this.
  2. I literally only recall 3/4 singles and "When You Put Your Hands on Me". The rest is probably a whole lot of R&B filler. I really must re-listen to the album a couple of times soon in order to see if there's any other redeeming moment on it.

The quality jump between her debut and "Stripped" is drastic.

Dangerous Maknae and Tigerlily like this.
  3. I always said my favourite was Stripped but listening to her albums back to back just made me realise Back To Basics is actually the one for me. A revelation ha!

Crisp X, Maki and Sleepycat like this.
  4. Stripped is defining of course but Back To Basics is such a fantastic album and era for her and she was obviously so passionate about the styles she was working with and the references she was making, the songs are so strong and there's very little filler on the record despite the length.

....Having said all that, Candyman is crap.

BEST FICTION and Maki like this.
  5. "Back to Basics" ticks all the boxes for me, too. The variety, the cohesiveness, the vocals, the visuals, the timeless production, plenty of fantastic standouts, very few filler tracks, zero songs that sound dated etc.
    Very few albums can relate to that.

Yeah, "Stripped" is such a great album, but "Back to Basics" is her magnum opus.

6. 5 ballots in and this is the worst Top 5 I could've ever imagined. Please vote, guys.

[​IMG]

7. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Lotus just reeks. Like, the Demi Lovato reject stench of it all. I hate it. It has its highlights obviously, but man... I'll take the sludge of balladry from her debut over this album any day.

Oh and I had forgotten just how horrific some of the mixing/mastering was. The way Light Up the Sky literally assaulted my eardrums...

[​IMG]

8. That sound that just keeps happening over the end of the second verse like someone is spamming you on a messaging app while you're trying to listen to the song. A fucking abomination.

9. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Me staring at my phone wondering where the sound was coming from and then realizing what it was

[​IMG]

10. And there's such a beautiful melody hidden underneath all that debris in Light Up The Sky, it's so frustrating.

11. I still got that nasty in me
    Still got that dirty degree
    And if you want some more sexy
    Still got that freak in me

[​IMG]

12. The one-two punch of Desnudate and Glam

[​IMG]

13. When you talk all I hear is
    Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah
    Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah
    Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah
    When you talk all I hear is
    Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah
    Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah

14. She's playing musical sounds transmitted at a certain frequency, all parts of something codenamed "Lotus"

15. R27

R27

I started this a few days ago. The only albums I hadn’t listened to before with are the debut and the Burlesque soundtrack, and I already finished the former. I’m excited to dive. Ack into her discography and rediscover these albums.

Crisp X, BEST FICTION and Maki like this.
  16. I've been doing this in the past few days and I can't explain how much I adore her dedication to the concept of each album and her respect for her artistry.

You can easily notice how carefully each track has been chosen for her albums (except the debut which I doubt she had much creative control over, and Lotus), and it might sound like a bold statement but I really believe there are no filler tracks on her other 4 standard albums.

Also I had forgotten how much I love and connect to her empowering songs, a subject I usually find overdone and not exciting, but she makes each one of them special and worthy of being played plenty of times.

Remorque, myblood, RUNAWAY and 13 others like this.
  17. The Bionic bonus tracks are just... so good. What was she thinking putting Sex For Breakfast and I Hate Boys on the standard version over any of them?

18. Me looking at my ballot after finishing my scores for Bionic and seeing I have Burlesque and Lotus to get through before Liberation.

[​IMG]

19. please expose anyone who doesn't give Vanity a 10

[​IMG]

20. Just skip to Liberation and listen to the others at low volume afterwards, then go back to Liberation again.

And that's your free non-professional ear cleaning advice

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.