The xx Discography Rate - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!! (& Stats Round-Up) | The Popjustice Forum

The xx Discography Rate - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!! (& Stats Round-Up)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by klow, Feb 22, 2021.

1. [​IMG]

Understated. Unsmiling. Ungoogleable.

Unrated* - until now.

[​IMG]

As teenagers, the xx sent shockwaves through the British music industry in 2009 with their debut self-titled album. A collection of startlingly intimate songs, with an erotic frisson present throughout, and a soundscape that employed a hitherto unique blend of the Young Marble Giants, Aaliyah**, and Burial-style dubstep accumulated into something that prompted significant cultural susurrus.

But it wasn't just horny youths that found something attractive in these simple songs about desire - xx won the Mercury Prize, and is reported to have sold over 600,000 copies in the UK alone, while the two minute introductory track of wordless sighs has received nearly 400 million streams on Spotify. Critics lauded the melodies and convincing performances of the two lead vocalists, Romy Madley-Croft and Oliver Sim, who had known each other since kindergarten. It was hard to believe, knowing little about their personal circumstances, that they were anything other than long-term lovers.

During the tour for xx, keyboardist and guitarist Baria Qureshi left the group in circumstances that have never been fully detailed. Qureshi was not replaced, and the group has continued as a trio, releasing two further albums, 2012’s Coexist and 2017’s I See You. In between, producer Jamie xx released an album of his own, In Colour, to critical acclaim. His own work perhaps reached its widest audience after a collaboration with revered soul icon Gil Scott-Heron was sampled by Drake and Rihanna on their massive hit “Take Care”. Meanwhile, leading lady Romy has recently announced her own plans for solo stardom, and last year released the euphoric, New Order-inspired “Lifetime”, which peaked at #45 in Portugal (thanks @soratami) and at #3 on the most important list of all - @klow’s Top Tracks of 2020 (Spotify playlist available on request).

For those of us the same age as the band's members, these songs have soundtracked many significant moments in our lives - aeroplane rides to faraway lands, dances under strobing lights, kisses, sobs, and dinner parties - and while "dinner party music" often indicates a very boring kind of tastefulness, I'm of the opinion that dinner parties don't have to be dull, and that the xx aren't either.

I’m hoping some of you will take the journey through the xx’s discography and rate the following songs out of 10 with me:

[​IMG]

xx (2009)

The iconic, eponymous debut, plus a handful of additional bonus tracks, including covers of Aaliyah, Kyla and Womack & Womack.

Intro
    VCR
    Crystalised
    Islands
    Heart Skipped a Beat
    Fantasy
    Shelter
    Basic Space
    Infinity
    Night Time
    Stars

Do You Mind
    Hot Like Fire
    Teardrops
    Insects
    Blood Red Moon

[​IMG]

Coexist (2012)

Steel drums were added to the first record's singular palette for the "difficult" follow up, which landed at #1 in the UK.

Angels
    Chained
    Fiction
    Try
    Reunion
    Sunset
    Missing
    Tides
    Unfold
    Swept Away
    Our Song

Reconsider
    Together

[​IMG]

I See You (2017)

After a hiatus of sorts, the band returned with I See You and some of its brightest songs and boldest production choices to date.

Dangerous
    Say Something Loving
    Lips
    A Violent Noise
    Performance
    Replica
    Brave for You
    On Hold
    I Dare You
    Test Me

Naive
    Seasons Run

[​IMG]

Jamie xx - A Selection (2011 - present)

This section contains some of the more well-known tracks from Jamie xx's solo album In Colour (2015), as well as some of his most memorable remixes, "I'll Take Care of U" which beget "Take Care", and recent-ish single "Idontknow".

I'll Take Care Of U (with Gil Scott Heron)
    Far Nearer
    Gosh
    Sleep Sound
    See Saw (ft. Romy)
    Stranger In A Room (ft. Oliver Sim)
    Loud Places (ft. Romy)
    I Know There's Gonna Be Good Times (ft. Young Thug & Popcaan)
    Idontknow
    You've Got The Love (Florence & The Machine Rework)
    Rolling In The Deep (Shuffle) (Adele Remix)
    On Hold (Jamie XX Remix)

[​IMG]

Romy Madley-Croft - The Complete Confection

I had hoped this section of the rate might be longer, but Romy's debut continues to stew. In the meantime, we'll be rating the following two tracks, one her first and only solo single, the other a memorable collaboration with doomy pop group Creep.

Lifetime
    Days

"EASY PM LIST"
    Intro
    VCR
    Crystalised
    Islands
    Heart Skipped a Beat
    Fantasy
    Shelter
    Basic Space
    Infinity
    Night Time
    Stars
    Do You Mind
    Hot Like Fire
    Teardrops
    Insects
    Blood Red Moon

Angels
    Chained
    Fiction
    Try
    Reunion
    Sunset
    Missing
    Tides
    Unfold
    Swept Away
    Our Song
    Reconsider
    Together

Dangerous
    Say Something Loving
    Lips
    A Violent Noise
    Performance
    Replica
    Brave for You
    On Hold
    I Dare You
    Test Me
    Naive
    Seasons Run

I'll Take Care Of U (with Gil Scott Heron)
    Far Nearer
    Gosh
    Sleep Sound
    See Saw (ft. Romy)
    Stranger In A Room (ft. Oliver Sim)
    Loud Places (ft. Romy)
    I Know There's Gonna Be Good Times (ft. Young Thug & Popcaan)
    Idontknow
    You've Got The Love (Florence & The Machine Rework)
    Rolling In The Deep (Shuffle) (Adele Remix)
    On Hold (Jamie XX Remix)

Lifetime
    Days

SPOTIFY

"Do You Mind" is on the playlist, but not available in my territory. Youtube videos for other tracks not available on Spotify ("Hot Like Fire" and "Teardrops") at all are linked above. If you have any problems finding any of the tracks, then please contact me.

[​IMG]

RULES

(The important part, with the most important bits in bold.)

Please rate all of the following songs (included above in the “Easy PM List”) out of 10. One song may be given an 11 out of 10 (but more on this below). I am happy to accept scores of up to two decimal places.

Commentary on the songs is encouraged, but not mandatory with two exceptions:

- You must provide commentary should you wish to give an 11; and

- You must provide commentary should you wish to give a song a score lower than 2.

Failure to do so will mean those scores will be rounded down (to a 10) or up (to a 2) as the case may be.

I’m not looking for a post-doctoral thesis when it comes to commentary – literally a sentence or even just a few words will be acceptable. I feel that if a song is special enough to earn a score like 11, you ought to be able to say something about it. Likewise, if you feel so strongly to want to give a track less than 2, then I want to know why!

Send your scores to me when complete by PM. The deadline for now will be Tuesday 23 March Tuesday 30 March at 11.59PM Australian Eastern Standard Time but if extensions are required then please let me know in here or via PM.

I don’t mind if users submit low scores – to have taste you must know what you don’t like just as much as what you like, after all - but as mentioned, low scores will need to be justified with commentary, and if you want to write commentary on 55 different songs you don’t like...then I wish you an ounce of luck.

Any queries, please contact me by private message, tag, carrier pigeon, telekinesis, etc.

[​IMG]
    *Participants in the Quirky Pop Sophomore Rate (ballots are still being accepted I believe!) will be aware that "Angels" is on the Side B list. If you liked that, then please join in here!
    **I don't really think the xx sound that much like Aaliyah and feel that the "Hot Like Fire" cover perhaps invited such comparisons unnecessarily. However, take the trip through this discography and judge for yourself!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    elektroxx, Remorque, Conan and 13 others like this.
  2. My brother was actually the xx's music teacher at high school... so I'll definitely try and join

3. Wow^4! So what you’re saying is...without your brother, this rate wouldn’t have been possible?! His impact!!

4. Ha well he said he didn't do a lot, he used to just let them go do their own thing most of the time.
    When he went to their concert in Bangkok they turned a light on him and gave a shout out at the end which is cool!

5. 2014

2014 Staff Member

6. [​IMG]

The xx are one of my favourite acts ever, so ready for this.

7. Well, sometimes there's skill involved in exercising restraint...something this band knows all too well!

I've already received a PM with partial scores, which is fabulous! Let me get started on encouraging some others to participate:

@AlmostFamous
    @An Insider
    @aux
    @berserkboi
    @beyoncésweave

Hi! I noticed you've liked and/or made posts about the xx previously...please consider participating in this rate of their discography!

8. ...and continue...

@KingBruno
    @Kyle.
    @LE0Night
    @LTG
    @michaelhird

Hi! I noticed you've liked and/or made posts about the xx previously...please consider participating in this rate of their discography!

9. ...and end, for the moment.

@Wishlight
    @ysev

10. I did love their song in Side B of the Quirky Pop Rate, and the voices sound familiar so I may know more of their music than I think I do... I'll try and join!

Remorque, Sprockrooster, klow and 4 others like this.
  11. I’ve only listened to their third album. I may use this as an opportunity to dive in. Regardless, best of luck with the rate, and if I can muster the time and energy with a group I’m not super familiar with, count me in!

Remorque, klow, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  12. Truly one of my most underrated faves! I never realize HOW MUCH I love their music til I’m listening. Picking an 11 will be rough but I think I have a multi paragraph essay ready for at least 3 songs. And since it’s their discography rate I won’t give it to the Flo remix but know I considered it.

13. I love that the Florence remix was included. I recently ran into this thread I made back in 2009 complaining about how it got dragged in the main site dd

14. upload_2021-2-22_18-51-3.gif

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.