This Time I Know It's A Rate- The PWL/SAW rate 1989-1993- No 87- An Odyssey | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

This Time I Know It's A Rate- The PWL/SAW rate 1989-1993- No 87- An Odyssey

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Mar 12, 2019.

1. It seems I gave Rhythm Of The Rain and Sealed With A Kiss both 6.5/10. I enjoy the former far more. Crazy to think he had the biggest album of the year and at its height promoted it with this plodding cover version. It clearly did no harm.

2. Ten Good Reasons had 11 tracks, didn't it. Which track wasn't a good reason?

3. She should have done it with Hand On Your Heart but they buggered up the release by selling a load of chart ineligible cassingles….

4. The thought of the UK having a "heat wave", let alone a "massive" one, makes me laugh. I guess it's all relative, though, and temperatures of 30-37 are a 'heatwave' when you're not used to temperatures in that range. I've also had this explained to me, on another forum, that most UK homes don't have air conditioning, which would make it less tolerable.

Weather on popjustice?

5. I question his judgment.

This is indeed so much better!

6. I guess it's probably better suited to when something by Sonia leaves the rate, but why did the UK turn off Sonia so quickly, with her never doing better than #10 after this?

7. All true. Back in the 90's I worked with a lot of Aussies and Kiwis who always took quite a while to adjust to UK weather. It really is very unpredictable! If we get temperatures over 25 degrees for more than five days - then most of us here in the UK call that a "Heatwave" - Four seasons in one day, indeed!

8. For once, they weren't quite so on the ball with that particular move.

phoenix123 and Hairycub1969 like this.
  9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NANCY DAVIS- HIGHER AND HIGHER

AVERAGE SCORE: 4.925
    HIGHEST SCORE: 8 X 2 @nanafan @ElectricYouth
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 2 @letuinmybackdoor @CatastropheBoy

PEAK POSITION: DID NOT CHART
    RELEASED: NOVEMBER 1992

Having missed the charts with an original composition SW turned to the classics again with this rousing rendition of the Jackie Wilson Standard. Turned out the UK didn’t need another version of the song.

What did PJ Say?

@nanafan is again the big fan here “Great cover, the best of her singles and what a brilliant B Side. We know there are more Nancy Davis tracks in the vault and I hope they find their way out one day. The clip of Beyond your wildest dreams sounded great” also feeling the love (kinda) are @MixmasterRemix “The production is complete karaoke but it suits her voice” and @ohnoitisnathan “Competent vocals, karaoke-esque backing & choice of song. SAW’s Got Talent!”

It has its flaws though as @WhatKindOfKylie? notes “A nice enough cover version. But, somehow I think that Nancy Davis aka my favourite discovery of this rate, deserved another original mega house bop of her own rather than this! Still, as I said, perfectly enjoyable anyway”

And for some it’s just not that good, @Odge savages it “The very definition of fulfilling a two single contract” @letuinmybackdoor doesn’t hold back “The original version is a stone cold classic, but this is trash” and I’m imagining an ad “I imagine this being used in a yoghurt advert possibly with Martine McCutcheon doing the voice over…..yeah I went there”.

@CasperFan is no fan “Not keen on this, don’t like the production much-sounds cheap” and even @iheartpoptarts is disappointed “One of those where you hope it’s not a cover and then, of course, it is” and last of all @etcetera is damning in their silence “I don’t have anything to say about this but the b-side, Never Knew Love Like This Before, is good”

10. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SLAMM- ENERGIZE

AVERAGE SCORE: 5
    HIGHEST SCORE: 8.5 X 1 @Remorque
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 2 @Deborah X @Disco Blister

PEAK POSITION: 57
    RELEASED: JULY 1993

SW still attempting boybands late into their partnership and as it turned out they were bang on trend now with Take That and East 17 starting to dominate the charts. This was actually the band’s second release though their first with the hit factory and their first hit.

We also finally reach the average score mark of 5! That took some time!

What did PJ Say?

The highest placed Slamm single has its admirers, step forth @WhatKindOfKylie? “This really is utterly 90's isn't it? When done with House, the Hit Factory, also well and truly made their own ways into the era of Rave. This a very notable result, but not a bad record either” @ohnoitisnathan “It’s obvious they were ‘inspired’ by 2 Unlimited for this one. The chorus is catchy” and @nanafan “Something different from SW and I like it. Slam had a lot of styles and were persevered with for a long time and a lot of singles. A shame they didn’t make it”

Even I quite like it “Not bad at all, upbeat and catchy though more Bad Boys Inc than Take That” and @iheartpoptarts feels good “You know, I actually do feel energized now”.

@MixmasterRemix just feels sorry for them “I feel kind of bad for the members, they must just feel silly pretending to play their instruments when the song is obviously all sequencers. Someone should have just taught them a few snazzy dance moves to go with that fitness instructor chorus” but it is a straight no from @Odge “If this was the future of SAW, it wasn’t for me” and @CasperFan “This is pretty ropey, forgettable”.

Promo

12" Mix

11. I've never (knowingly) heard of Nancy Davis, but I shall give this a listen. She's the kind of act you'd expect to be in a Vol.2 of the SAW box (as if that'll happen...), like the obscurities in Vol.1 that were fun to explore.

12. Oh no! Nancy Davis is my first real loss of the rate as I really like that one. If you haven’t heard the B Side you need to as it’s a cracking Mike Stock pop track

MixmasterRemix likes this.
  13. Let's be honest. Most of this stuff so far is just dreadful.

Bring on the classic bops!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. That Slamm yoke. Jesus...

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  15. What a selection of Gifs!

16. I think if Nancy had come along earlier in the PWL story she might have had a better chance. Mike Stock obviously was struggling for creative guidance with Aitken gone and Waterman spending less time in the studios. I agree with @nanafan and @etcetera that the B-side is a gem though!

And “Energize” is really fun, it just felt like a weird vehicle for Slamm to me. I thought their later Miller/Waterman single felt better suited to their “real band playing instruments” image while still having a nice revved up remix for the dance floor.

Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 9:17 PM
    nanafan and idratherjack like this.
  17. Slamm's Energize is one of my earliest CD singles, I bought that and Suzette Charles' Free To Love Again in the summer of 1993 and really like both. I love how they sound like Bad Boys Inc mashed up with 2 Unlimited.

MixmasterRemix likes this.
  18. Considering how many flops they were having by this point, its quite a feet how Pete and Mike were still keeping on trying by 1993.

19. We'll resume on Wednesday night with a top 10 single and a song that becomes the first of the rate to get more than a single 10!

20. Mike would never give up, if we had the apocalypse, he'd make a record with cockroaches.

(Or Madonna).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.