This Time I Know It's A Rate- The PWL/SAW rate 1989-1993- No 87- An Odyssey | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

This Time I Know It's A Rate- The PWL/SAW rate 1989-1993- No 87- An Odyssey

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Mar 12, 2019.

1. idratherjack and ElectricYouth like this.
  2. MixmasterRemix likes this.
  3. Glad to see I'm not alone! I think Pete Hammond's production on both The Timewarp and Wig Wam Bam is outstanding. I'd have been here for a Damian album.

Eric and MixmasterRemix like this.
  4. I would have been so down for that! I can’t find them online but I remember even liking the (non-PWL produced) B-sides. His pre and post PWL singles were good too. “I’m A Man” definitely owes a tip of the hat to Divine!

idratherjack likes this.
  5. Sorry for delay- let's crack on.........

Disco Blister likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

JERMAINE STEWART- TREN DE AMOR

AVERAGE SCORE: 5.275
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 X 1 @SmashHitter
    LOWEST SCORE: 1.5 x 1 @CasuallyCrazed

PEAK POSITION: 97
    RELEASED: NOVEMBER 1989

Harding & Curnow not only produced this but also wrote it for Stewart, it was chosen as the lead to his album “What Becomes A Legend Most” but underperformed and pretty much signalled the end of his chart career. It was used in the 1989 film “She-Devil” starring Meryl Streep but that couldn’t save it.

Youtube adds: “yes, the haircut is awful, but there's no need to get sexist here. guys who are girly in reality have the balls to pull it off despite being harassed or beaten up for it. and all you straight alpha male wannabes still think you're the cream of the evolution. bitch. please!”

What did PJ Say?

@Eric starts us here “Refreshingly different - I shamefully knew nothing about Jermaine Stewart and definitely going to explore further”, looks like @WhatKindOfKylie? will be joining you “Funky little bop, although I must admit, none of his Hit Factory offerings here, are as good as what they should have been on paper” and even @CasperFan is won over “Another new one-and it’s a bit of a bop-who knew?”

Not everyone was impressed @ohnoitisnathan decides “It’s OK. He looks rather like a black version of early Wham! George Michael in the video”, @MixmasterRemix muses “ I’d had really high hopes when I heard Jermaine had done a fully PWL produced single but while this is by no means terrible, it’s definitely not the type of Hi-NRG bliss I was expecting” and I ponder “More US sounding than UK so perhaps not what the hit factory were renowned for- this is OK but hardly the catchiest of tunes”.

@iheartpoptarts just let him past muster “He’s pretty much consistently good but never great in this for me“ but it’s a below par turn out for @Odge “The train has left the station”, @nanafan “Dull and tuneless” and @letuinmybackdoor “Much like an ALDI version of later era 5 star, looks the part but lacking any magic whatsoever”.

@Disco Blister gives a final damning “Sadly not as good as his previous stuff. Neither was the hair. “

Promo

TV Slot

7. Jermaine’s “What Becomes A Legend Most” had one other Harding/Curnow cut that was much more PWL sounding. Swap out the genders and this could have gone to Sonia or Boy Krazy!

iheartpoptarts and Disco Blister like this.
  8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

JASON DONOVAN- HAPPY TOGETHER

AVERAGE SCORE: 5.2857
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 X 2 @Disco Blister @SmashHitter
    LOWEST SCORE: 1.5 x 1 @CasuallyCrazed

PEAK POSITION: 10
    RELEASED: AUGUST 1991

Serving both as a marker for his “Greatest Hits” album and as a farewell effort from PWL and S/A/W was this cover of the Turtles 1967 #12 track. It improved chartwise on the original at least and saw Donovan off with a top 10 single though he would remain pumping out increasingly poorer performing singles until 1993.

[​IMG]

Jason said: “As much as I liked SAW on a personal level I felt very constrained working under the umbrella of their company for it was very restrictive. I wanted to have more control of my career and reach another level with my music”

Youtube adds: “Say what you will but cocaine gets stuff done, folks”

What did PJ say?

Surprise fan here is @Disco Blister “One of the best of SAW’s 60’s covers, as it’s actually a good song to begin with. And he looks kinda handsome in the video. He was very busy Spring and Summer 1991: RSVP was released in May, Any Dream Will Do in June and Happy Together in August.”

There’s also praise for the b-side from @nanafan “I’ve always liked this and it did well to go Top 10 in 1991. I was pleased when the Extended Version was eventually released. Jason has some killer B Sides and She’s In Love With You is no exception, it’s stronger than a lot of his singles” and @etcetera “Nice song, and its b-side She’s In Love With You is amazing and one of the best Jason Donovan songs”, hell even @letuinmybackdoor is bopping “Surprisingly, his best cover, a melody like that is undeniable.”

Meanwhile the video also has some favourable comments from @Eric “I quite like his performance in the video, but dislike this song” and @iheartpoptarts “On the bright side, he does look good on a throne”. @Hairycub1969 also raises eyebrows as he likes it! “it’s a great song to start with and even Jason’s “vocals” can’t screw it up…to much”

For others though it’s a cover too far, @Odge rails “Really, Jason, another cover?” @WhatKindOfKylie? is bored “And so it was over. Jason's final ever Hit Factory single after 2 all so short years as pop's Golden Boy. This is nothing overly special though, and he actually sounds just a tad bored on it. Not a great finale” and @CasperFan is bitter “Ugh another crappy cover-how did this chart better than RSVP? I guess it was riding the Joseph wave still…”

I chip in “Not sure what the thought process was behind this. It’s a good song which is hard to ruin and Jason just about gets away with it but I bet he isn’t proud of this” and it’s creeping @ohnoitisnathan out “In terms of the creepy factor, this is like a sequel to ‘Sealed With a Kiss’. Had Jase started dabbling with illicit drugs by this point? In the video, it sure looks like he has” whilst @MixmasterRemix is so over it all “Should have come with a “Contractually obligated by all parties” sticker on the sleeve.”

Promo

TOTP

12" Mix

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 6:25 PM
  9. Cackling at the commentary!

MixmasterRemix and nanafan like this.
  10. RSVP and Happy Together, should have had their chart positions reversed in my view!

11. I think both are good singles, I prefer RSVP though.

I’m surprised Happy Together is out before Another Night though

12. So it's Another Night, Everyday, RSVP, When You Come Back To Me and Too Many Broken Hearts left for him now then?

13. And Hang On To Your Love

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  14. Oh, and Hang Onto Your Love of course!

15. Poor old Jason is getting wrecked in this rate

16. This is a great track and I agree, could have been done by anyone

MixmasterRemix likes this.
  17. RSVP and Sealed With a Kiss should have had their chart positions reversed.

phoenix123 likes this.
  18. I love (and proud of it) the later, but would not have objected.

19. And here’s that B-side mentioned by @nanafan and @etcetera . They really did hide a few cracking tunes on the flip sides of Jason’s singles! The short version came out at the same time as “Happy Together.” The extended was created at the same time but for some reason was left in the PWL vaults until it was finally released on an expanded reissue of “Between the Lines” and a “Happy Together” iTunes bundle.

20. Haha, I was listening to some current countdown of American pop and @ElectricYouth ’s “Does it even qualify as a song?” comment from the WWF’s “USA” post kept running through my mind!

ElectricYouth and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.