This Time I Know It's A Rate- The PWL/SAW rate 1989-1993- THE WINNER! | Page 37 | The Popjustice Forum

This Time I Know It's A Rate- The PWL/SAW rate 1989-1993- THE WINNER!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Mar 12, 2019.

1. I'm officially trusting you to tell me what everybody's best songs are!

MixmasterRemix likes this.
  2. Why are his B Sides, almost so much better?!

3. Haha, well I hope you like them! Those two songs definitely get the MixmasterRemix seal of approval.

Thank god for them! The B-sides were often the only saving grace on some of his singles. But other than maybe “Another Night,” pretty much all his songs left are real PWL classics!

4. Out of Jason's debut run of singles, Everyday is the one I've always gelled to the least. It's OK enough though.

5. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PAUL VARNEY- IF ONLY I KNEW

AVERAGE SCORE: 5.3
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 X 1 @ohnoitisnathan
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 4 @CasuallyCrazed @phoenix123 @letuinmybackdoor @CatastropheBoy

PEAK POSITION: DID NOT CHART
    RELEASED: SEPTEMBER 1991

Varney went on to co-write Precious’ 1999 Eurovision entry “Say It Again” so he at least DID have one hit in him.

What did PJ say?

@ohnoitisnathan awards this one top points! “I like this one a lot. “Rick Astley for the 90s”, as someone commented on the video once”, he almost has @CasperFan onboard “Great production with a thumping bass but the chorus lacks something-a tune maybe? It really goes nowhere”- I did say almost…..

@WhatKindOfKylie? feels this is familiar “Alright. I think The Hit Factory were somewhat rehashing their past ideas by this point. And this shows”- maybe it was Big Fun they were rehashing as I note “A bit too light and unsubstantial to get much pf a reaction- like Big Fun without the tune- and my that’s bad”

@nanafan also complains about its blandness “Doesn’t really go anywhere. Rightly pulled from the release schedules” and for @Odge it is “A song in search of a decent chorus.”

@MixmasterRemix takes us back in time“Also in college I subscribed to a short-lived magazine called Miss Thing that I’d read about in the dance press. It was aimed a very urban, black, gay market and had a few pages with the current playlists from a urban dance clubs. Most of the stuff was real underground House stuff but shockingly the Steve “Silk” Hurley mixes from the white label advance release of this song appeared on three of lists!” but as ever @iheartpoptarts is concentrating more on the video uploader “@ohnoitisnathan living up to his avatar.”

Promo

12" Mix

6. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MALCOLM MCLAREN FEATURING ALISON LIMERICK - MAGIC’S BACK (THEME FROM “THE GHOSTS OF OXFORD STREET")

AVERAGE SCORE: 5.325
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 X 1 @idratherjack
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 X 2 @Deborah X @phoenix123

PEAK POSITION: 42
    RELEASED: DECEMBER 1991

Proving they could still do the unpredictable late into their career together SW teamed up with Punk pioneer McLaren and Alison Limerick on this track which was a soundtrack to a channel 4 film that Christmas which dealt with the musical history of the London Street. Anyway this is….eclectic..

[​IMG]

Pete Hammond says: “It just wasn’t coming together or making sense to me or Malcolm. Malcolm could see the funny side of it and by the time Waterman came down to see how the mix was going Malcolm and I were almost on the floor laughing…I think we ended up with Mike coming down and doing some overdubs…luckily Malcolm was happy with his record”

What did PJ Say?

This one rather divided opinion- some loved it including @nanafan “This is a cracking record, I never heard it at the time and I guess it suffered from a lack of promo. Very atmospheric and two good artists in a bizarre collaboration” @ohnoitisnathan “I had no idea that Malcolm or Alison had worked with PWL”, @Eric “A theme tune! And a catchy one at that, really want to watch this show now!”, @iheartpoptarts “Part dance bop and part audiobook.”, @ElectricYouth “Another new one for me. Weird but wonderful” AND @etcetera “An unexpected collaboration, I like it and the Beethoven sample is great”- who knew so many of you would love this!?

Yet for each of you that loved it some were….unimpressed notably me “Not my kind of thing but OK in its own genre….I guess”, @Odge “This is just all a bit odd. Doesn’t sound like a single to me”, @WhatKindOfKylie? “This just is a bit of a weird song and by the time it actually gets properly going and 'normal', I've already lost interest” and @CasperFan “There might be a good song in there somewhere but can’t cope with all the talky bits!”

@letuinmybackdoor feels down “This was depressing. Alison is responsible for one of the most perfect dance tracks of all time, but this is so, so average” and

@MixmasterRemix is puzzled“A confusing disappointment given the talent involved. Has a few good moments but overall a meandering muddle of a song.”

You certainly can’t please them all- at this stage in the rate anyway…….

Promo

12" Mix

7. So tomorrow it's time for another major act of the rate to enter the fray!

berserkboi and iheartpoptarts like this.
  8. Magic's Back is a right rave-up! I remember it from release back in 1991 when it just missed the Top 40, I've always stanned hard. Love SAW's early 90s records when they tried to keep up with the emerging rave scene.

And Paul Varney was the best looking guy PWL ever worked with this side of Michael Davidson. I once took a picture of him from Smash Hits in his Yell! days to the hairdresser!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swoon.

9. What a load of tat.

Querelle Mix and Eric Generic like this.
  10. One man's tat is another homosexual's treasure. I like some of the flops more than I like the big hits.

11. Oh no, Magic’s Back. I love that. Thought it would go beyond some of the average Sonia still to come

12. Here’s the Steve “Silk” Hurley version that I mentioned was apparently a mini-club hit. Hurley was huge in the clubs around here at the time and I assume the reporting DJs thought Varney was some black Brit? I liked it back then but listening to it now I don’t think it’s aged as well as the standard Phil Harding extended version. Weirdly neither the Hurley nor the Maurice Joshua mixes are on the iTunes bundles.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    idratherjack and iheartpoptarts like this.
  13. No such thing.

Cundy and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  14. Counting Every Minute and End Of The World say hi!

15. I am shocked that 'If Only I Knew' is out so early... and that 'So Proud of You' beat it!

16. Oh no! That's my favourite Jason song!

Disco Blister and Eric Generic like this.
  17. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

GRAND PLAZ- WOW WOW NA NA

AVERAGE SCORE: 5.325
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 X 3 @WhatKindOfKylie? @idratherjack @ohnoitisnathan
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 2 @CasperFan @Disco Blister

PEAK POSITION: 41
    RELEASED: SEPTEMBER 1990

An interesting one this, it is officially produced by DJ Crazyhouse and is essentially an update of the Bananarama 1983 single “Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye” as done by Kakko but it is in fact a SAW creation (probably) which omits their name and which tells you about the toxicity of the brand by the end of 1990.

What did PJ Say?

Well it picked a new rate record of three 10’s so it hit the spot for @WhatKindOfKylie? “This is just fantastic! A great dance floor record, and a good combination of dance/house/rave all rolled into one. I believe that "Na Na Na" sample is NOT from Bananarama, but by another more forgotten Hit Factory act, a certain Kakko...” and @ohnoitisnathan “Kakko’s version of ‘Na Na Hey Hey’ by stealth, mashed up with Together’s ‘Hardcore Uproar’. I wish SAW had done more clubbier tracks like this in 1990.”

Evacuate the dancefloor because @Eric “I could imagine dancing to this” though @Odge points out a potential barrier to that “This is never going to be on anyone’s playlist, surely?”. For @iheartpoptarts “It bops, but I do like a few more vocals here and there” but I think “A decent enough stab at dance music of the time but hardly likely to be listed with their best” which mirrors the thoughts of @MixmasterRemix “ I’m sure this was fun enough for a few spins back in its day but it comes across as forgettable dance fodder now.”

Maybe it depends on what version you prefer…… @nanafan favours “I prefer Kakko’s version. A strange release as it was never going to chart” whilst @CasperFan “Bloody awful-I’ll stick with the ‘nana’s version thanks!”- decisions decisions.

7" Mix

12" Mix

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  18. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

KYLIE MINOGUE- CELEBRATION

AVERAGE SCORE: 5.5238
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 X 1 @SmashHitter
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 3 @gezza76 @Deborah X @Disco Blister

PEAK POSITION: 20
    RELEASED: NOVEMBER 1992

Long cited by Minogue as one of her personal favourites, she got to record a version of the Kool & The Gang classic as her final PWL single in late 1992. It became her poorest performing single by limping in at No 20 but was originally destined for 1991’s “Let’s Get To It” album before being cut.

What did PJ say?

@WhatKindOfKylie? (perhaps predictably) is the biggest champion of this one “I know many dislike this (if not loathe), but I think this was the ideal song for Kylie and the Hit Factory to depart, after 5 fantastic and hit packed years! Very faithful to the classic original as well “. Some back-up comes from @nanafan “Kylie and the B Team. Unpopular opinion alert: I’d have preferred “Where In The World” were released as Kylie’s last Hit Factory single as it’s a gem and this is a cover by numbers. I like it more as the years pass and Kyles has embraced it in her live shows” and @iheartpoptarts damns with faint praise “Well, at least it’s kind of fun, I guess?”, but that’s pretty much all the positive things that can be said for it.

For some the problem was the track I complain “The original is so over used it is difficult to review this without taking on all that baggage. It isn’t an awful version but it brings nothing new to the table and I’m not overly keen on the original either so it’s a pass from me I’m afraid” @CasperFan is no happier “This doesn’t quite work on the single mix-Steve Andersons tour mix is much better. Not a huge fan of the original and a cover too far at this point I think”, @Hairycub1969 wants the original “sorry Kylie I’ll stick to Kool and the Gang Thank you very much…” and @Disco Blister adds an upbeat ending “What a useless karaoke cover of a song that’s was already overplayed. That said I was surprised how well it worked during the Summer Festival tour after Kiss Me Once. Loved it. “

@ohnoitisnathan confirms what most thought “The worst single she released from the PWL stable. When I bought her ‘Greatest Hits’ album, not yet having heard this track, I remember thinking… ‘oh god… has she covered that Dragon (Oz/NZ band who covered it 5 years earlier) song?!’ And then the track started, and she had@Eric brands it “A bit of a damp squib to end her PWL era” and @Odge snipes “She left with a whimper, not a banger.”

@etcetera re-iterates “Her last PWL-single is also her worst and nothing to celebrate” and even @MixmasterRemix can’t be too upbeat about it “Clunky and clichéd, it’s the equivalent of the drunk at a party shouting “Why aren’t you having a good time?” in your ear.”

Promo

12" Mix

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  19. Is that actually Kakko's vocal on Wow Wow Na Na? I like it even more now!

Her unreleased cover of the Bananarama classic is my favourite version of the song. I do wish her album could be released from the PWL vaults, it's my holy grail of pop.

MixmasterRemix likes this.
  20. Yay, I was going to guess Kylie might be the 'big name' to go, with either 'Tears On My Pillow' or 'Celebration'. Not a fan of either.

berserkboi and MixmasterRemix like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.