This Time I Know It's A Rate- The PWL/SAW rate 1989-1993- THE WINNER! | Page 91 | The Popjustice Forum

This Time I Know It's A Rate- The PWL/SAW rate 1989-1993- THE WINNER!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Mar 12, 2019.

1. At the beginning of this rate I thought the winner was a foregone conclusion. Now, looking at how many 11's are left, and the songs in the top 10, I'm not so sure. It's getting exciting.

iheartpoptarts and gezza76 like this.
  2. I think only Hand On Your Heart and This Time I Know It's For Real have much chance of breaking a Rhythm Of Love stranglehold on the top 4.

I also think Shocked will be the first of the golden quartet to go, sadly.

3. Step Back In Time will go first surely.

4. Where popjustice is involved, do not be so shu-wer

[​IMG]

Well... good luck!

5. Imagine if...................it were neither................!!!!!!

lob0to likes this.
  6. The top 10 all got an average score of 9 or above which is a better score than part one of the rate which is interesting. It seems to suggest that thre very best here was better than the 84-88 output but the vast bulk was worst which I pretty much agree with.

Cundy, iheartpoptarts and phoenix123 like this.
  7. It will be Step Back In Time that’s the first of the four out. I think Hand On Your Heart is over performing. I suspect Lonnie is the dark horse amongst the ROL singles

ElectricYouth and Disco Blister like this.
  8. But that's the second best ROL single!

9. You are confused with What Do I Have To Do it seems.....

10. It's really difficult to separate the four.

If you put a gun to my head I'd probably just about be able to say I slightly prefer Better The Devil and What Do I Have To Do to Step Back In Time and Shocked…. but now writing that out in black and white it suddenly feels wrong.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    sometimesxtc and Deborah X like this.
  11. 'Hand On Your Heart' wasn't aimed at 8 year olds? OK, maybe it was aimed at 11 year olds.

Disco Blister, phoenix123 and Cundy like this.
  12. donotbesosure.ezgif.com-add-text.gif

phoenix123 likes this.
  13. Nah. WDIHTD is the best of the four!

What Do I Have To Do
    Step Back In Time
    Shocked
    Better The Devil You Know

14. A reminder to you guys not to reveal your scores for songs before they appear in the rate please. @phoenix123 I'm taking to you......

15. Im preparing myself mentally to dispense with no 10

Hairycub1969 and berserkboi like this.
  16. [​IMG]

Hairycub1969, gezza76 and berserkboi like this.
  17. I'll forgive and forget...

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  18. Can I take you home with me little doggie...I'll promise to walk, feed and love you!

19. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SONIA- YOU’LL NEVER STOP ME LOVING YOU

AVERAGE SCORE: 9.023
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 12 @Remorque @Disco Blister @phoenix123 @iheartpoptarts @Eric @ohnoitisnathan @idratherjack @letuinmybackdoor @WhatKindOfKylie? @CatastropheBoy @SmashHitter @Odge
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 X 1 @Hairycub1969

PEAK POSITION: 1
    RELEASED: JUNE 1989

Surely now an iconic SAW moment? It proved a point though, that by this time they could take an ordinary teenager off the streets and propel them to No 1. It made Sonia the youngest UK female soloist to make no 1 in 21 years and gave SAW a 6th No 1 in the last 11 at this point in 1989. Not bad for a song that took 45 minutes to write.

[​IMG]

Mike Says: Sonia had a lovely tone to her voice. I’m not normally this confident but I just recall saying to her at the end of the recording “Well done Sonia, see you on “Top Of The pops””

[​IMG]

Sonia says” I was actually supporting Bros on tour at the time and it was between me and Bros who was gonna be No 1, and I was thinking oh goodness you know, they’re well known and what’s gonna happen. So on the Sunday and we found out I can’t explain how I felt”.

Youtube adds: “i would still smash her back doors in lol “

What did PJ say?

So we enter the top 10 and also hit an average score of 9- pretty impressive! A rate equalling 12 of us gave this maximum score including @letuinmybackdoor “Undeniably one of their moist instant songs you knew was gonna be a number one, and Sonia gives her all”, @ohnoitisnathan “Great!” and @WhatKindOfKylie? “Although slightly creepy within its context and somewhat stalkerish even, this does not take away from what a perfect pop song this is. Sonia sounds nothing but awesome on it too.”

Those lyrics are also picked up by @Odge “This is just a great pop single with a great video. Amazing that SAW could break a brand new act with a number one single. Lyrics are a bit creepy though” and @iheartpoptarts “I’ve never seen the video for this before! It definitely has its moments” and dole out maximum points

@MixmasterRemix brands it “The cutest stalker anthem ever made!” and the video prompts mentions from @CasperFan “Brilliant song-a classic SAW, deservedly a number one-cringe at the video though!” and @Eric “I love the fact Sonia looks like she's living the dream here, especially in the final section of the video on the coach”.

Whilst some loved it it just wasn’t her finest moment for @nanafan “It’s a classic and I bet it does well but it’s overplayed and hasn’t dated well. Sonia has better records than this” or me “Very catchy and you have to love a bit of Sonia- not my favourite of hers but it remains a bop regardless”.

@Hairycub1969 once again is the grump in the corner “Dawn French will “impress” you now!”.

Promo

TOTP

12" Mix

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  20. OWCH!

I have never been more glad I gave Sybil that 5.5. If this hadn't made top ten it would have been a total injustice.

Also I am compelled to post this work of art yet again:

Find yourself someone who loves you enough to do a parody of a Sonia video.

I would be pushing for a lifetime ban if I didn't love you so much.

This is a take I had not expected.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.