This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #17-16 - another album exits!) | Page 29 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #17-16 - another album exits!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Hounds Of Love

52 vote(s)
    52.5%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. I forgot to comment on yesterday's second reveal. The following statements echo my feelings, too:
    It got a 2 from me. The problem with most covers Kate did is that they are usually much less adventurous than her own compositions and not really transformed enough to reach a similar level of ingenuity.

2. ..why more of the b-sides haven't fallen yet I have no idea. You Want Flopchemy can leave next. As can Brazil, Humming, Sexual Healing, Show a Little Devotion, Ken and all the other flop b-sides that aren't Under The Ivy (and one or two others) can leave prompTly.

slurmjunkie likes this.
  3. aux

aux

Fuck no, Sexual Healing is perfect.

4. I have to agree that the majority of her b-sides are at best mediocre and I'd be happy if 'Show A Little Devotion' and 'Sexual Healing' left soon. I do have a few 7s to 10s among her b-sides, too, though (including 'Humming').

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  5. Kate Bush singing Sexual Healing is one of the whitest things that I've ever heard. Her cover just doesn't work.

Ok you know what b-side I live for though? Wuthering Heights (1985 version). The drama that comes from the vocals, honey yas, resurrect the spirts of Kathy and Heathcliffe with those belts, Catherine.

6. Second one for today...

[​IMG]

Brazil 5.88

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Scoundrel_Days
    Lowest Score: 3 x 5 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @sfmartin, @1991, @DominoDancing, @ohnoitisnathan

@abael - 8 Kate really suits this sort of production.
    @djmakemewet - 6 This is another one that passes me by even though I have heard it many times.
    @OspreyQueen - 5 It’s a really forgettable song, but at least Kate’s vocal delivery is lovely.
    @DominoDancing - 3 I really don't have much use for this.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 3. A little too Disney-soundtrack sounding for my tastes.

7. Considering how relatively few of them I gave out in this rate, losing a 9 and 8 at the point of barely cracking 140 is a bit discouraging but not at all surprising.

P'NutButter likes this.
  8. I think I gave it a higher score than anything else from the 'Aerial' era.

P'NutButter likes this.
  9. Two untouched album eras will lose tracks today!

10. Yes, I'm ready to say goodbye to Flopstellation of the Heart and Big Stripey Flop today. Despite the rate just starting, they've already outstayed their welcome.

11. Believe me I wish the first of those was leaving, but for today I can confirm...

...it isn't.

[​IMG]

Home For Christmas 5.94

Highest Score: 9 x 2 @djmakemewet, @JamesJupiter, @Wild Man.
    Lowest score: 1 x 1 @CasuallyCrazed

@djmakemewet - 9 This is short and sweet. I love the retro sound of the guitar and gentle horns. Another criminally overlooked Christmas song in my opinion.
    @Jóga - 7 It’s very sweet and I love how she sounds, but nothing really exciting.
    @DominoDancing - 6 Good enough to pad out a Christmas playlist I guess.
    @Seventeen Days - 6 I don’t know why I thought this would be some kind of cover? Anyway, my dislike for all things Christmas is staining my score just a tad. But I do like Kate’s voice and the acoustic guitar meshing together on this.
    @OspreyQueen - 5 A minute and a half of…meh. At least it doesn’t outstay its welcome.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 3.5 Christmas songs are really unnecessary.

12. I hate Christmas and only a few Christmas songs really escape my wrath so a 7 is a biggie for me... It’s just the perfect amount of sweet.

13. Home For Christmas is adorable, ya'll are weird kicking it out now when there's so much worse above it.

Suddenly I fear for the top 20.

14. Although I think there are much worse contenders left, I rated both of these songs lower than 'Brazil' (which got a 6 from me, maybe because the composition itself reminds me so much of this brilliant film), so I'd rather have seen them leave instead.

I'm happy to see the dull and clichéd 'Home For Christmas' (a 3 from me) go, though. And I'm not against Christmas songs in general as I really enjoy her festive single from 1980.

P'NutButter likes this.
  15. Really loving that Home For Christmas artwork there @P'NutButter!

P'NutButter likes this.
  16. Another one?

[​IMG]

The Painter's Link 6.11

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Wild Man.
    Lowest score: 0 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@djmakemewet - 6 It's a shame that the remastered version just uses Bertie's live vocals – surely it can't have been that arduous to record a new version. Still, it's nice to have a version without a sex offender on it.
    @abael - 8 Great little instrumentation
    @sfmartin - 8 I'm of course rating the recently released new version of this.
    @OspreyQueen - 7.5 Despite it being so short, this is such a lovely little piece. Its story (if you can even call it that) is so simple, but still utterly captivating.
    @DominoDancing - 7 Sure. Nice link. I actually like Bertie on this.
    @JonBcn - 7 It’s weird to be marking a short interlude against actual songs. It’s clear that this whole disc was meant to be heard as one piece of music, so to judge 'The Painter’s Link' seems a bit harsh, as it only exists as a bridge to get us from 'An Architect’s dream' to 'Sunset'. It’s nothing special, but it’s not supposed to be.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 0 I don't buy Kate Bush albums to listen to a man singing lead vocals.

17. Of all of Aerial's straight up bad tracks this is how you start off? Unbelievable, another 8 down. Is it the Rolf connection? I don't, I just...
    loveita enough.gif

Remorque and P'NutButter like this.
  18. I guess Rolf was too smart to try the moves on Kate (or she was too old?).

19. I rated the Bertie version, though in hindsight this should not have got a 10 from me.... and I oop when I saw I was tagged as the highest scorer.

P'NutButter likes this.
  20. I rated the Bertie version, from the remasters on Spotify (though I also own those sets).

I think I recall reading that Rolf had been removed from something, but I wasn't aware it was his vocal/I didn't even remember him singing on 'Aerial'. Probably because I only listened to that disc once.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.