This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #17-16 - another album exits!) | Page 47 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #17-16 - another album exits!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Hounds Of Love

52 vote(s)
    52.5%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. I prefer the tour versions of this and 'Egypt' to the album mixes.

2. dddd Violin is one of the two songs I keep from that album.

3. 'Warm And Soothing' bores me the same way that 'In The Warm Room' does. Both also feature the kind of high-pitched vocals that I find a bit grating. It's probably no coincidence then that they share a word in the title and got the same grade from me (4).

I don't think it feels off. After all, she did similar rock songs before (see 'Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake').

That's a fitting description. This is definitely a precursor of the weirdness to come with the following album.

Yes, I love it, too. Surely this deserves at least 8 points (I gave out 9), but it seems that songs that prominently display some of the idiosyncracies that make Kate special (e.g. imitating the sound of a violin with her vocals) don't fare well in this rate.

I think the tour version is too tame and doesn't rock enough.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  4. Was 'Give me the Banshees for B.V.'s' a Siouxsie & The Banshees reference? I figure probably not... but it's a fun idea, nonetheless.

slurmjunkie and P'NutButter like this.
  5. The first 11 and also a fan favourite (for some) leaves today.

6. aux

aux

I'm cautious about this. I'm sure it's not my 11, as that isn't leaving until the top 10 at least; but I'm intrigued as to what it could be.

7. I wondered if it could be Misty? That seems to be very divisive as a fan favourite for some and a disaster for others. I love it so I'd hate to see it go this early, but I can't think of many other potential 11s that could also be unpopular with some of the fanbase.

8. Interesting, trying to think what it really is...

9. Happy to see violin go, devo with Warm and Soothing, it was my favourite track from that whole era. Still think My 11 is going though.

10. Can't say I'm surprised about that since you wrote that 'In The Warm Room' is your favourite from Lionheart.

11. So, the first for today and the first 11 of the rate AND it breaks the 7 mark!

[​IMG]

Moments Of Pleasure (Director's Cut) 7.01

Highest Score: 11 x 1 @abael
    10 x 2 @djmakemewet, @JonBcn
    Lowest Score: 3 x 4 @Ana Raquel, @AGiantSheep, @ohnoitisnathan, @slurmjunkie

@abael - 11 'Moments of Pleasure' was already a brilliant song, and of all songs on the album, it has gained the most impact by the passage of time.
    @JonBcn - 10 I’ve said this before in the main Kate Bush thread, but I think that those who criticise the DC version of this song are missing the point. The removal of the song’s best known, and most resonant line (“just being alive, it can really hurt”) and replacing it with the humming of the male voice choir only serves to ramp up the theme of loss and grief. That, to me, is a genius moment, it’s devastating. You need to know the original version to truly appreciate this one.
    @djmakemewet - 10 Another stunning rework. The lower piano line is beautiful and pulling out the chorus for the choir of hums gives the song such a haunting quality. It's difficult not to tear up yourself when Kate's voice breaks as she sings “and I can hear my mother saying” - almost 20 years on, you can tell how raw this emotion is for her.
    @OspreyQueen - 9 Much like the previous track, this reworking also benefits a lot from its minimalism. The lower key and backing vocals add a certain melancholia that I feel isn’t present in the original.
    @Seventeen Days - 7 This track is, unfortunately, the only track on this album that is on par with its original recording (for me anyway). Kate’s matured voice sounds quite good on it.
    @sfmartin - 6 Its pleasant but doesn't hold a candle to the original for me and the decision to hum the Beautiful chorus is a choice. I mean it sounds lovely hummed but I prefer the vocal version.
    @Jóga - 6 It doesn’t work as well.
    @DominoDancing - 6 Worse arrangement and worse vocals on a song that wasn't that great to begin with.
    @31entrance - 5 A bit boring.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 3. Not gonna sugar-coat this commentary: this sounds like someone playing 'Moments of Pleasure' for nursing home residents. Maybe it is.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  12. I just hope the original Moments Of Pleasure, can hang on for a long time to come yet.

13. I have a feeling the original Moments is going top 10.

Still this placement feels pretty low, I thought it was one of the best interpretations Director's Cut has to offer.

14. I do hope it goes top 10, more than than deserves it.

sfmartin likes this.
  15. Is it a 2 or a 6 from @Jóga?

16. Definitely a 6. It’s still Moments of Pleasure!

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  17. RIP. Well giving my 11 to something on Directors Cut was asking for trouble, but I stand by it. My favourite song of Kate's and the changes made gave the whole release a sense of meaning and time passing.

18. So who gave the lowest score?

19. 'Directors Cut' should well and truly be gone by now.

20. That's an interesting take, but unfortunately my feelings are more in line with this comment:
    Why get rid of the most emotional part of the original and turn everything into a snoozefest? I gave it a 3 just for Kate's vocals (though I also prefer the original verses).

P'NutButter likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.