This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #17 - another album exits!) | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #17 - another album exits!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Hounds Of Love

51 vote(s)
    52.0%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. [​IMG]

2. This is one weird ass rate. One second I'm in total agreement with some peoples opinions, next minute I'm thinking - "are you completely fecking insane?" about the very same people!

3. I've felt the same collecting this all together. Whiplash from the variations of opinion!

[​IMG]

Aerial Tal 6.52

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @slurmjunkie, @JonBcn
    Lowest score: 0.5 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@JonBcn - 10 Effortless straddling the fine line between genius and madness, once you get over the kook, this is an incredible vocal performance and so, so clever.
    @DominoDancing - 8 Kate emulating bird song is a very Kate thing to do.
    @sfmartin - 8 Its a pretty insert and sets the tone well. Now I can never not hear birds cooing and not think I'm hearing "A sky of honey".
    @djmakemewet - 9 I cannot hear a pigeon (?) call now without hearing “A sea of honey, a sky of honey” over it. It may be short, but the way Kate combines her voice with the bird calls add a lot of character.
    @31entrance - 7 Again I don’t know how to rate these interlude things
    @OspreyQueen - 5 It’s a fun introduction to the bird-mimicking idea, but it’s not fleshed out enough in this track for me to care much about it.
    @Jóga - 5 I mean, it works as an interlude I guess. But it’s a bit pointless.
    @lob0to - 5?????? Interludes are hard to rate.
    @abael - 5 I don't know if this is great or dumb.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 0.5 If I want to hear birds, I'll go outside. Still, I suppose this was at least slightly amusing, and mercifully short.

4. [​IMG]

Aester, JonBcn, Cutlery and 8 others like this.
  5. Aerial Tal is iconic

slurmjunkie, Aester, JonBcn and 4 others like this.
  6. In this episode of 'Today I Learned...', I had no idea where the Tal part of Aerial Tal came from until now - every day's a school day with @P'NutButter!

7. Hey! I didn't zero it.

Mardevil3.ezgif.com-optimize.gif

8. I'm glad so far so good, for the near divine debut. The Kick Inside really is so strong on the whole.

P'NutButter likes this.
  9. Softly: no.

I think the fuck not.

Nah!

YES

And to Director's Colonoscopy:

P'NutButter likes this.
  10. That poor album takes another hit...

[​IMG]

Flower Of The Mountain 6.53

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @WhatKindOfKylie?
    Lowest score: 2.5 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@aux - 9 “mmm yes”
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 I feel like this is a letdown compared to 'The Sensual World' but it's actually the lyrics that make it so. I just feel like Kate did a better job with her own interpretation than using the actual Ulysses passage. I do however, appreciate the extra breathing space in the song and especially the extended intro. I know her vocal is quite contentious, but I like it for the most part, “or shall I wear a red UUUYYYYYESSSSSSSS!” is a bit much though.
    @sfmartin - 7 I adore 'The Sensual World' so I was excited to learn about this. It's good but in no way do I prefer it. I don't think the added lyrics fit and some of it just sounds awkward. It loses a lot of the momentum of the original being extended.
    @DominoDancing - 7 Fine. Not an improvement over the original version.
    @nametag - 7 It’s cute that she got to do this but I’m not sure I’m that into the fact it’s so close to the original production-wise, just with a weaker vocal melody.
    @OspreyQueen - 6.5 I’m not big on the original, and I can’t say I care about this version either. Although I’ve given it an extra 0.5 because I prefer Kate’s vocal delivery here.
    @The Hot Rock - 6 The vocals here completely change the vibe and it's nowhere near as good, wow. I mean they're fine in and of itself but this song was something else before.
    @lob0to - 6 I'd probably like this more if it had the production and mix of the original. As it is, it just sounds off.
    @Jóga - 5 The bass in this is great, and it’s not an awful reworking but it’s just not good enough.
    @confess85 - 5 This didn’t need to be reworked.
    @31entrance - 4 prefer the original, this version sounds like it’s recorded in Kate’s bathroom or something.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 2.5 My copy of 'The Director's Cut', purchased primarily to spend the final $10 or so of a gift voucher I had received from work (it had already been discounted that heavily, a few months after its release), has sat in its shrinkwrap since 2011, such has been my enthusiasm to listen to it. Listening to this now, for the first time, on Spotify... oh dear. It reminds me of one of those cheap-o re-make albums sold at petrol/gas service stations by artists of yesteryear who don't own the rights to their back catalogue, and would never shift quantities of albums of new material... so have to resort to re-recording their 'hits' over cheap karaoke backing to make moulah. Kate - you should be better than this. What on earth was she thinking? Though I guess she had form already with the re-recorded 'Wuthering Heights' for The Whole Story. It doesn't help that it sounds like your mother mumbling over the radio while washing dishes.

11. Y'all are trash.
    [​IMG]

aux, lob0to and P'NutButter like this.
  12. @P'NutButter wanted reasons for my low score-albums. I obliged.

13. Kate’s later work isn’t to everyone’s taste I guess! Your commentary is making things more fun so far. It’s hilarious how much people’s scores are varying in this rate..

14. What amazes me most is that we're not even at the top 120 yet, but the average score is already over 6.5! Y'all must love Kate's music a lot.

15. I think I've done a bit of a 180 on the rate. My songs more than likely won't make it to where I would want, but a 140+ track rate with 30+ raters of such an influential and clearly divisive artist, with commentary from each entry spanning from glowing to scathing? The only thing that you could predict is top-quality artwork and drama? That's the sort of rate I'd love to pull off, and I'm glad to be taking part in it.

16. [​IMG]

I get that the original clearly is the best and superior version, I get it, I mean OBVIOUSLY, her delivery kills it a bit in this. but really? This going out before Constellation of the Heart or whatever? Don't Push Your Foot on Your Heartbreake?

Those bells at the beginning... so sharp and celebratory and her vocals even if they do not hold a candle against The Sensual World, are very warm and soothing

17. I just hope this doesn't mean the original is going to get shafted too.....

It's top tier Kate. Top 10 I hope.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  18. I am incapable of typing anything because I am still clutching my pearls so hard at the sheer OUTRAGE of Aerial Tal leaving. I had to ask my secretary to make this post.

19. I feel the same, for example:
    Total agreement. I gave it 3 points less than 'The Sensual World' but 3 points more than 'Constellation Of The Heart'.
    No, that's my favourite song from Lionheart.

20. I thought 'Constellation' had already gone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.