This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #17 - another album exits!) | Page 39 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #17 - another album exits!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Hounds Of Love

51 vote(s)
    52.0%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. I love that 'Eat the Music' came with a scratch & sniff sleeve in Australia.

2. I quoted the parts of your comments that I agree with. Most of you seem to have overscored this. To me, the comments from @JonBcn and @Seventeen Days seem to be more in line with a 0-2 grade. And I'm sorry @DominoDancing, but we were bound to disagree at some point.
    This was such a drop in quality from her previous singles (excluding the Elton John cover), I was shocked at the time. It's ruined by the chorus, which sounds so lame, but I had to give two points for the lovely way she sings the verses.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    P'NutButter likes this.
  3. I guess we were, I guess we were. I can understand the issues most of you have with the production, but mood and lyrics save this for me. Lyrics especially. They are pure filth, and I am shocked that this came without a Parental Advisory sticker.

Jóga likes this.
  4. Wow I’m really surprised to see that put so soon! It’s a song I’ve always wanted to connect with and love but just never have. When I first got The Red Shoes I forced myself to listen to it on repeat in an attempt to fall for the album and telling myself it was the single. Guess I’m not alone in that feeling though...

5. Eat The Music, especially feels perfect for this time of year too I think. Has a good Summer vibe about it.

Aester likes this.
  6. never liked Eat The Music, no matter how much I try

7. Yeah bye to Eat The Music.

əʊæ likes this.
  8. I've said before, but I've never liked 'Eat The Music' that much and the remaster made things worse by using an alternate version with extra "eeeeeeeeeeee aaaayyyyyy woooooooo" backing parts. The original album mix just is better overall, even though the song is meh.

9. The second of today's exits is another track I personally really dislike, so "yay" me...

[​IMG]

Between A Man and A Woman 6.67

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @aux
    Lowest score: 4 x 1 @sfmartin

@ohnoitisnathan - 7 Alright but there isn't much of a chorus there.
    @DominoDancing - 7 Not much happening here.
    @OspreyQueen - 6.5 Nothing to write home about, but it’s decent.
    @djmakemewet - 5.5 I like the intro verse to this, but there's not really much to grab onto beyond that. Around this time, Kate seemed to start creating songs that centered on one small lyrical idea and simply danced around that for the length of the song and this feels like one of those. It seems to have spent its most interesting melodies and lyrics about 30 seconds in and spends its remaining three minutes noodling around them.
    @Jóga - 5 Not awful but quite boring.
    @sfmartin - 4 This is definitely the weakest song on the album. Mostly its a song I skip. It doesn't really go anywhere, very one note all the way through.

10. aux

aux

Noooo, this should have made it much further

11. The two leaving today are from that album.

12. I just adore how Kate looked back in 1989. Classy, beautiful, and wordly wise too. As seen here especially:

13. So, the first of today's exits...

[​IMG]

Top Of The City (Director's Cut) 6.68

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @aux
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@djmakemewet - 9.5 Another cleaner take that really benefits the song, this strips away some of the bluster in order to bring the emotions to the fore.
    @OspreyQueen - 7.5 Nothing will ever top the original for me, but this isn’t bad. I like how it sounds a little more restrained.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Acceptable new version. It benefits from not having the horrid drum sound of the original recording.
    @sfmartin - 7 Its definitely one of the more successful reinterpretations but cutting "She's no good for you baby" is just jarring, and I don't like the creative choice. Other than that not much else is that different.
    @Jóga - 7 It loses a bit of its charm.
    @abael - 6 Sorta pointless remake.
    @The Hot Rock - 5 Top Of the City sweetie, i'm so sorry...
    @ohnoitisnathan - 2 Bad. This sounds like the home garage demo version recorded after a night on the piss.

14. Phew, for a moment there I thought I'd accidentally given the real 'Top of the City' a 2.

əʊæ and P'NutButter like this.
  15. The artwork/designs for the countdowns in this rate are amazing, @P'NutButter .....

16. I agree! Very good and then some.

17. Thank you!

Eric Generic, əʊæ and Future Lover like this.
  18. Must take so much time and effort too, so much appreciated!

19. Even though I kind of love “Between a Man and a Woman” and think it was our way too soon, @djmakemewet is right that the intro is the best part of the song

P'NutButter likes this.
  20. I can understand that some may bemoan the lack of a catchy chorus, but I actually like this being a mood piece with subtle melodic shifts. Also, the Fripp-like guitar parts by Alan Murphy are fab. I don't think this is the weakest track on the album and gave it an 8.

I hear you.

Yes, it's a slightly lesser version of a decent song (7 points), but how can this already go when there still are three inferior cover versions left on that album?

sfmartin and P'NutButter like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.