This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #19-18!) | Page 30 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #19-18!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Hounds Of Love

51 vote(s)
    52.0%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Bertie doesn't have a bad voice, but this song seems slightly forever tainted somehow.

2. I gave the original version 6 points, so I got pretty close to the average here. Regardless of the actual person behind the painter's voice, I'm not that keen on the vocal performance but at least it's not as musical-like as her son's vocals. More importantly, it's pretty brief and Kate's beautiful vocals from 0:58 onwards are this interlude's saving grace. While I can understand Kate's desire to eliminate the guy's original contribution (and I'm not naming him either), it was a poor decision to let her son push her vocals into the background. That she simply recycled the 2014 live performance for this part is really lame, too.

Thankfully, the idiosyncratic 'Aerial Tal' is still in the running as I prefer that interlude.

I found that difficult as well. However, I find that in this song cycle, there is still a lot of variation in quality. In contrast, every part of The Ninth Wave is so great that I couldn't decide which one to give my 11. I would have given it to the whole side (I believe it's Kate's greatest achievement). Since that was not possible, I chose a different song instead.

Remorque, P'NutButter and lob0to like this.
  3. I don't get why Bertie wasn't just dragged down to the studio in the garden to re-record the vocals

4. One era takes a hit today. Both were B-Sides... in a way.

5. I'm trying to think of what era that will be..

6. 'Ken' and 'Be Kind To My Mistakes'? I'd be surprised to see the latter go this early, though.

7. My thought was that 'Walk Straight Down the Middle' was the kind of B-side

Future Lover and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  8. Another cover maybe?

9. 'Ken' can leave. 'Be Kind To My Mistakes' is my favourite b-side from her and should have been on the album instead of 'Heads We're Dancing'.

Hopefully 'Show A Little Devotion' and 'Sexual Healing' will go.

lob0to likes this.
  10. Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 20.07.36.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 20.07.41.png

Karvel, Remorque, 31entrance and 6 others like this.
  11. First of Friday's exits...

[​IMG]

Big Stripey Lie 6.12

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Ana Raquel
    Lowest score: 1 x 1 @sfmartin

@djmakemewet – 8.5 Again, this one is probably an unpopular choice, but I love how this song sounds like nothing else in Kate's catalogue. The violin is gorgeous against the more industrial sounds and I'm disappointed that more recent releases have used a version that fades out rather than the cold ending from the original album.
    @Seventeen Days - 7 Oh I see, it’s 1993 so let’s throw in some 80s glam metal-ish vibes. Though this suffers a bit from the dated production, the dark vibe I get from the track is pretty much making it work for me.
    @nametag - 7 Doing this makes me realise I’m not that familiar with the back half of TRS and I’m… kinda into this? There’s something slightly paranoid and Bowie about it that works.
    @DominoDancing - 6 I can appreciate a bit of a noisy production, but this never comes together as a song.
    @confess85 - 6 I find this a bit on the grating side.
    @OspreyQueen - 5 It feels like she decided on a whim to try and recreate some of the chaotic darkness from The Dreaming and Hounds of Love, but forgot how. It’s a racket, and totally at odds with the rest of the album.
    @abael - 5 The instrumentation is messier than the rest of the album.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 5 OK.
    @The Hot Rock - 4 This is probably my least favorite album track when not counting Director's Cut.
    @Jóga - 2 This could be a song. Alas, it isn’t. Dis-torsion isn’t always edgy and cool, clearly.
    @sfmartin - 1 A disaster. A painful listen that doesn't work on any level for me.

12. Being the B Side to the mighty Rubber Band Girl, meant that this had a lot to live up too.

13. 'Big Stripey Lie' is utter dirge. A clear standout from Kate's catalogue for being almost unlistenable.

Trouble in Paradise and Jóga like this.
  14. aux

aux

The Red Shoes as an album is really hit and miss for me.

15. Ugh. I really dislike Big Stripey Lie. The whole middle section of the album really just plods along.

16. I love the violin. I don't get the hate.

17. I think I gave it a 3, @aux is right. When The Red Shoes works, it's amazing. Otherwise.. yeah.

aux likes this.
  18. This is my first suprise, I quite like Big Stripey. Why Should I love you should be first off the Red Shoes, its such a mess of a track.

slurmjunkie likes this.
  19. You're all blocked and reported.

Karvel, Aester, Jóga and 2 others like this.
  20. I think The Red Shoes is where most of my unpopular opinions will be - it was one of the first Kate albums I listened to (probably when I was about nine or ten) so I've always been a fan of songs like Constellation of the Heart and Why Should I Love You? especially since I didn't really have a concept of how dated they sounded upon release at that time.

I think I just have a soft spot for a Kate bop.

Aester likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.