This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #21-20 and a rundown!) | Page 26 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #21-20 and a rundown!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Hounds Of Love

51 vote(s)
    52.0%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. One more for today then?...

[​IMG]

Deeper Understanding (Director's Cut) 4.9

Highest Score: 9.5 x 1 @CasuallyCrazed
    Lowest score: 0 x 1 @Untitled

@DominoDancing - 8 I know what Kate Bush was going for with that chorus vocals, but that doesn't make enjoy them. This version also goes on a bit too long. Still a very good track, obviously.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 I’m on the fence about this one. I really like the extended outro and the somewhat more stripped-back instrumental, and while I’m still not sure what I think about Bertie’s version of the chorus I do like the way it sounds more overtly technological than the original. But Kate’s new vocals leave a lot to be desired, and those ad-libs where she tries to imitate dial-up sounds are frankly humiliating.
    @djmakemewet - 5 I miss the more empathetic voice of the computer – I see what Kate was going for with the Autotune and I don't hate it, but it's definitely worse than the original in my opinion. More egregious for me though is the meandering outro with the harmonica. I don't feel it adds anything and doesn't let the song breathe in the same way that 'Flower of the Mountain' or 'Song of Solomon' do.
    @confess85 - 3 Terrible autotuned vocals.
    @Seventeen Days - 3 Kate, oh honey no. You completely sapped the life out of this one with those horrible vocoded vocals. This track is just awful.
    @nametag - 3 Her worst single.
    @sfmartin - 1 Lets be honest, it's a disaster. Everything about it is wrong. When I first heard this as the introduction to the directors project I was baffled. I mean i hate to say it but she sounds terrible throughout. I gave it some more points to begin with because I thought I remembered her salvaging the song towards the end but the harmonica mess is just awful. Every choice she made on this reinterpretation was the wrong one.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 1 Are you lonely? Are you lost? This re-working of a decent track from 1989 with awful vocodered Bertie bits is definitely *not* a must!
    @Untitled - 0 I feel desecrated.

2. Not been a good day already for Director's Cut!

Remorque, Aester, P'NutButter and 3 others like this.
  3. Bless. I'd be fine with most or all of Director's Cut going before any other non extras, honestly.

Remorque, Aester, əʊæ and 2 others like this.
  4. Jesus, I knew it was a bad idea rating Director's Cut at all.
    Ironically, it's the first version of the song I've heard... and I own the promo CD. Mess. Imagine the revelation at hearing the original, it was pure bliss.

5. thank god that’s out, awful awful track

6. Oh good, my two lowest-rated tracks went first. Now we just need to give the old heave ho to "Eat the Music" and it's smooth sailing on out.

7. I’d love to hear a version that basically just adds the outro to the original, minus the ad-libs. The track itself isn’t great but that part is totally worth keeping.

P'NutButter and The Hot Rock like this.
  8. It feels really good to have my one and only zero leave first. Also my next lowest score follows! I had to give it a point cause I at least understand what she was going for even though I did NOT want it. The first time that chorus hit I audible rejected it

Aester, əʊæ, P'NutButter and 2 others like this.
  9. That is exactly how I felt when I first heard it in 1993. In general, (even though I rate Never For Ever slightly lower) your overall assessment pretty much echoes mine.

Your overall assessment is the opposite of mine, but it makes sense that someone who prefers The Red Shoes (my least favourite original album) is not keen on my favourite albums. I'd be more perplexed if someone said The Red Shoes was tied with Hounds Of Love or The Dreaming as their favourite album.

abael and The Hot Rock like this.
  10. Haha, I knew Rubberband Girl would leave early on, but I'm a bit surprised that Deeper Understanding got nearly the same amount of hate. Like most of Directors's Cut, I simply rated it a point or two worse than the originals, because I think the song at its core is still pretty great. At least I don't think it's the same kind of clusterfuck that the Rubberband Girl remake is.

JonBcn and OspreyQueen like this.
  11. I guess I'm the only one really shocked to see "Deeper Understanding" at the very bottom. The original obviously can't be matched but I actually really enjoy the vocodered bertie chorus on the remake. She did something so strange and surreal with it, it's almost dreamlike.

Director's Cut is clearly going to be eviscerated early on.. There are some I want to see gone very soon, but I at least hope the gorgeous minimalist versions of "Moments of Pleasure" & "Never Be Mine" go far.

JonBcn, berserkboi and DominoDancing like this.
  12. Nooo, she destroyed Never Be Mine nearly as much as Rubberband Girl my messing with the chorus so much.

13. I'm surprised about Deeper Understanding leaving so early, but with the general antipathy towards the album I suppose it makes sense. Much worse songs are out there though.

14. Only two eliminations and we're already at nearly a 5 point average?!

I must have been feeling generous to not zero this version of 'Deeper Understanding'.

P'NutButter and əʊæ like this.
  15. The first of two for today, will Director's Cut lose even more?

[​IMG]

Candle In The Wind 5.47

Highest Score: 9 x 2 @Music Is Life, @abael
    Lowest score: 0 x 1 @slurmjunkie

@abael - 9 A brilliant song, despite Kate. The song doesn't really suit her more ethereal voice.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8 Better than Elton's versions.
    @djmakemewet - 7 This is the more conventional Elton cover, but some of the production choices are showing their age now. I love the choir of Kate vocals though, which are especially noticeable on the instrumental version.
    @Seventeen Days - 6 This cover, on the other hand… not really doing it for me. The synths and the production dates this one a bit too much, but Kate’s vocals shine through, as they always do.
    @Jóga - 5 I never liked this song.
    @lob0to - 5 Sorry, I can't. Once upon a time I liked this song - then Diana happened. I never want to hear any version of it ever again.
    @DominoDancing - 4 Unfortunately this is even worse than the 'Rocket Man' cover. Endlessly boring arrangement, with the cheapest synth instrumentation of any Kate Bush track to date. I know it's an outtake, but hey, she decided to release it after all.
    @confess85 - 4 Never been a fan of this song in any form.

16. I am surprised at how 'well' the instrumentals are doing. I thought they'd be going first.

17. Damn, singles falling at #141 is pretty funny. Hopefully The Dreaming and Wild Man will suffer similar fates. I'm both shocked and not surprised at Norma Jean being out. It's a beautiful song, but the OG exists, and as nice as it is, covers like this one don't really need to exist. On the subject of both terrible singles and terrible covers, Rocket Man with any luck will meet it's end soon too.

JonBcn likes this.
  18. Wash your mouth out! Rocket Man is one of the greatest covers of all time!

Sexual Healing, on the other hand...

Karvel, abael and lob0to like this.
  19. ...is that Uillean Pipes bop!

20. Oh it can go too, Kates cover history makes it pretty clear who needs to wash their mouth out.

slurmjunkie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.