This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #21-20 and a rundown!) | Page 42 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #21-20 and a rundown!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Hounds Of Love

51 vote(s)
    52.0%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. and the second b-side...

[​IMG]

The Handsome Cabin Boy 6.77

Highest Score: 9.5 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan
    Lowest Score: 4 x 2 @Hatbar, @sfmartin

@ohnoitisnathan - 9.5 I like these 'acting'-type songs Kate did, where she took on the role of someone completely different to herself.
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 I love the ghostly choir that Kate creates with nothing more than her own voice. The song itself is full of wit and has a sharp eye for storytelling and Kate sounds simply beautiful singing these traditional melodies.
    @OspreyQueen - 7.5 The minimalist approach works wonders here. It’s an utterly fascinating track despite being so simple.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Kate has a good voice for these traditionals.
    @Seventeen Days - 6.5 The ethereal choir synth is pretty, and Kate sounds great as always. I don’t see myself scrambling to add this to my library, but it’s good for what it is.

Karvel, djmakemewet, Jóga and 13 others like this.
  2. A Hounds Of Love era track going, always seens like a shock.

P'NutButter and Music Is Life like this.
  3. Well, there we go The Kick Inside is the last era left unscathed, which I guess isn't surprising given the lack of users out there looking to target it and its lack of b-sides or extras to pick off. Also, of course it had to be my favourite album who's name I would mess up. If clownery was going to go down here it should be on this rate, going off how it's gone for me so far.

P'NutButter likes this.
  4. Hmmm, funny you say this.

5. L'Amour or Feel It elimination incoming?

6. [​IMG]

But before that...

[​IMG]

Passing Through Air (Need Your Loving) 6.78

Highest Score: 10 x 3 @djmakemewet, @JamesJupiter, @slurmjunkie
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @WhatKindOfKylie?

@djmakemewet - 10 I remember getting a second hand copy of the Army Dreamers 7” for my birthday (probably my 10th) and instantly falling in love with this one – it went perfect with the spring weather. By Kate standards this might be overly simple, but I love that even at 15 years old she was able to craft songs like this. In a parallel universe, Kate has an amazing career writing pop bops.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8 Quite pleasant.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Surprisingly well written considering how old it is.
    @Seventeen Days - 6.5 I feel like Kate’s not quite found her voice on this one, given how young she was. But this definitely has a good sound that’s very of its time.
    @OspreyQueen - 6 It sticks out like a sore thumb in her discography, but I kinda like it.
    @31entrance - 6 Cute but a bit repetitive.
    @Jóga - 4 Sounds like a pastiche.

7. wow didn’t realize how young she was when she wrote/recorded this, shows that, even at a young age, Kate was and still is really talented

Karvel, P'NutButter and slurmjunkie like this.
  8. December will be magic deserved to go before this B side.

9. Another successful elimination.
    [​IMG]

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  10. I agree with you and gave it a 7. It is the most successful of her traditional covers, though storywise it would have been better if she had included all the verses.

It's not my fault. I believe it has three songs that should have left long ago.
    'L'Amour Looks Something Like You' please. 'Feel It' is one of the better songs.

Yes, this is one of her very best b-sides, regardless of her age. It's a crime that this is out at #110 when there is so much uninspired material still in the running. The only thing I could complain about is the unusually quick fadeout and the slightly muffled sound (although that veil has finally been lifted in the new remaster). The song itself is perfect and I adore its catchy chorus. This should have ended up on her debut album instead of one of its weaker tracks.

11. Yes, my thoughts exactly!

1991 likes this.
  12. I spend one night in hospital and y'all kick out two of my favourite B-sides!

13. Oh god, I hope you're okay!

So The Kick Inside loses it's first track now, but which one?...

[​IMG]

Room For The Life 6.79

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Music Is Life
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @slurmjunkie

@Music Is Life - 10 Whatever that instrument is that came in during the chorus I think, that sounds like a tapping thing, maybe a kind of drum, elevated this to a 10, as it was a 9.5 until that point. I love everything about this song, so this might actually be my favorite.
    @Seventeen Days - 8.5 Kate basically saying women are stronger since they can create a life. those are lyrics I can get behind.
    @Jóga - 8 Gets an extra point for the percussion instrument that appears around the minute mark. Sounds lovely. And the chaotic end is interesting. The song itself is alright.
    @sfmartin - 8 This is such a sweet and empowering song. She had so many great catchy hooks on this album. Such an amazing talent so young.
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 I love the outro on this one as the vocal lines begin to build and overlap and I appreciate the time that's given for the track to build at the end. I was also always struck by the line “plaiting her hair by the fire” - don't know why, it just always felt very evocative.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Songwriting and arrangement seem a bit clumsy here.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 5 Pedestrian 70s rock & shrill Kate collide again! With mediocre results... and bonus chanting at the end that really wasn't needed - I'm deducting half a point for that.
    @Untitled - 4 Um, I think the fuck not!

14. I spoke too soon. Room For The Life is a great little number, how it's leaving over a dozen or so tracks is a choice.

15. Very happy to see the back of Room For The Life, which has always been my least favourite from the debut, but fuming about losing the gorgeous Passing Through Air- beasts!

16. That's more like it! One of my least favourite songs from the debut. A mediocre song totally ruined by that cheesy chanting at the end. I gave 3 points for the chords and guitar part coming in at 0:50 (and repeated later on), which remind me of early Genesis.

That bit actually reminds me of a slowed-down version of Boney M's 'Daddy Cool' percussion.

DominoDancing and əʊæ like this.
  17. Ummm how dare you all!? "Room for the Life" deserved to outlast a whole lot of what's still clinging around! I believe "Constellation of the Heart" is still here unless I missed that leaving. I'm also a huge The Kick Inside stan so I'm not gonna be happy with anything but "Feel It" leaving before at least #100

18. There needs to be an 'Aerial' exodus soon.

19. I would strongly like the rest of 50 Words For Snow to excavate. Literally the entire rest.

20. The Kick Inside, really does have to be one of the strongest debut albums of all time. I hope we don't lose much more from it yet.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.