This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #21-20 and a rundown!) | Page 43 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #21-20 and a rundown!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Hounds Of Love

51 vote(s)
    52.0%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. An earlier track and a later track leave today.

2. Two very much different Kate timelines then.

3. Room for life is definitely one of the better tracks to start on, if we're starting that albums elimination.

lob0to likes this.
  4. Room for the Life got a 9.5 from me - being my second favourite from the debut, it has left waaaaay too soon.

The final third of the song is so hypnotic. I just love how Kate pronounces 'there's room for a laaa-iiife in your womb'.

P'NutButter likes this.
  5. Not that far away from the top 100 now!

[​IMG]

Fullhouse 6.8

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Wild Man.
    Lowest Score: 2.5 x 1 @CasuallyCrazed

@Music Is Life - 8.5 The production really elevated this song for me, it just wasn't that interesting otherwise.
    @Seventeen Days - 8 Kate singing about having to face her anxiety and self-consciousness. I know that feel, girl.
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 This is another ominous sounding track – I think it's only really hit me recently just how lyrically heavy a lot of Kate's early material is. I think the public perception of this part of her career (both then and now) is that she was always on some flight of fancy, but many of her early songs, this included, are really intense.
    @DominoDancing - Lots of pretty parts, just not a standout.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 The lyrics are the best thing about this song, and “remember yourself, you’ve got a full house in your head tonight” is an unforgettable line. But the composition itself isn’t anything special.
    @Remorque - 6.5 Though I think the production's fantastic here, all the rest doesn't really make it interesting. There's a disjointed feel towards some of the different parts and Kate's vocals can get really grating on this one...
    @ohnoitisnathan - 6 A good message in there, but sonically not as good.
    @sfmartin - 5 None of these songs excite me. There is not much progression from the debut. Most of the songs just aren't as good.
    @Jóga - 4 Forgettable... once again.

6. A bit earlier this evening, but here is the second one for today...

[​IMG]

π 6.81

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @slurmjunkie
    Lowest Score: 1.5 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@The Hot Rock - 8 Mathematically literate queen.
    @Jóga - 8 I still can’t believe she did this. It doesn’t even feel like she’s just listing the numbers… It works, it’s really pretty and the chorus is appreciated because it brings something different, although I could understand if someone found it too long.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 The subdued chorus is pretty good. Otherwise, I like the idea of the song more than the end result.
    @djmakemewet - 7 The chorus of “he love, he love, he does love his numbers” is the highlight hear. Having said that, it's difficult to imagine anybody else imbuing a string of numbers with as much emotion as Kate does. I'd love to be wanky and give a multiple of p as a score, but I'll keep things simple.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 Concept’s interesting but…not interesting enough to fill 6 minutes. At least if it was shorter it could have a duration of 3:14.
    @sfmartin - 7 I love the opening and the production throughout. In fact I really enjoy the melody of this song in general. But the minute she starts those god damn numbers it just feels like it never ends. Its absolutely ludicrous and I love her for it but I completely lose interest after the first set of numbers. I mean three minutes of numbers, come on now lovey.
    @abael - 4 Odd lyrics, but boring.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 1.5 I'd like give this 3.14, rounded to 2 digits, but it doesn't quite deserve that. Pretentious. She might as well be singing the phone book.

7. Gutted I lost 18 points today. It's bad enough that one of the better Lionheart songs has to leave prematurely. Kicking out one of the highlights from disc one of Aerial is even worse: everything about this sounds magical, especially the way she sings the verses. After the decent but slightly pedestrian (for Kate's standards) 'King Of The Mountain', this was the first truly great new song, marrying unlikely subject matter with atmospheric music. It's ironic that this meditation on numbers actually sounds so much more sensual than 'Song Of Solomon' (which unbelievably is still in).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  8. Pi has never done anything for me so.. yeah, bye!

9. Maybe I read too much in to things, but I've always wondered if the track length of π was an accidental or deliberate choice, what with it being a strobogrammatic number of 609.

I can't think of any other artist who could successfully pull a song like that off. Gave it an 8, uniquely Kate.

10. Why am I the lowest scorer with 1.5, then? What made you think it was worth at least a 2?

I think there is a lot of 'mustn't score anything below a 5 (or a 7, as it seems, reading that commentary), because it's Kate!' going on in this rate.

11. We are going to need to talk.

abael likes this.
  12. Gosh I love how self-absorbed, ridiculous and dramatic π is! It works much better than other number songs I've heard (admittedly I can only think of Björk's 107 Steps atm)

13. This is how you do a 'numbers' song:

14. 2 Eliminations I'm happy with. Keep Aerial Disk 1 coming!

15. I'm surprised there hasn't been more Lionheart era eliminations yet to be honest.

16. I think because below 5 for most means it's a bad track, when it's simply not to that person's taste?

You'll be happy later then.

əʊæ, slurmjunkie and DominoDancing like this.
  17. Before I do this next one, I just want to get people's overall opinion on how I'm running this. Is two a day too many and is everything good, etc?

Anyway, onto the first of the day's exits...

[​IMG]

Sexual Healing 6.81

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @aux
    Lowest Score: 1.5 x 1 @CasuallyCrazed

@Seventeen Days - 9 This is… really freaking good. I love how Kate keeps the R&B sound (and the drum machines) and puts her own unique twist on it.
    @sfmartin - 9 This is a beautiful cover. A grown up kind of intimacy. Like a well worn relationship that needs a bit of a nudge. A warmth and devotion that shines through. The length of the song only adds to the atmosphere of the deep connection between lovers.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 This is a much more successful cover than 'Rocket Man' in my opinion, even though it's cut from a similar cloth. In particular, the Uillean pipes really make this song and the long instrumental outro is beautiful. More intensely sweet than sexual though.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 This has aged exceptionally well. The instrumentation reminds me a little of Khalid and other R&B artists who are popular today.
    @Jóga - 8 Cute version. I really like the instrumental and her voice here. She sounded excellent during these years.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8. It feels wrong that I like this more than anything from Aerial... but I do.
    @The Hot Rock - 7 Fares the best out of the covers in the challenge.
    @confess85 - 7 Pleasant but I find her version a little cheesy.
    @DominoDancing - 6 Competent cover, but unnecessarily long.
    @JonBcn - 5.5 I’ve always hated this song, whoever sings it, and this makes me cringe. Of all the songs in the world she could have chosen to cover!

18. I gave this an 8??? I don't even remember anything about it.

19. @P'NutButter, I'd say don't change a single thing! (and that includes your fantastic single artworks too, by the way!) I think personally the rate you are going is perfect. Not too fast, but now too slow either to be losing interest and waiting ages for the next elimination either.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  20. Yeah, two eliminations a day sounds good to me

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.