This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #21-20 and a rundown!) | Page 67 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #21-20 and a rundown!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Hounds Of Love

51 vote(s)
    52.0%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. I agree with you.

Except I'd wait until we hit the top 20.

2. Another 11 exits and will The Dreaming album remain untouched?

[​IMG]

Sally_Harper, Cutlery, əʊæ and 6 others like this.
  3. Losing those two stung.

I'd honestly rather lose a few more from Hounds Of Love before we start on The Dreaming.

4. The first of today's two is the 11 and it's not from The Dreaming, or The Red Shoes...

[​IMG]

The Fog 8.2

Highest Score: 11 x 1 @slurmjunkie
    10 x 6 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Hatbar, @djmakemewet, @Ed72, @Karvel, @lob0to
    Lowest Score: 4 x 1 @Wild Man.

@djmakemewet - 10 The Irish folk touches in this song are really beautiful and this song has so much atmosphere. The structure of the song and its unhurried feel also seem to point towards some of Kate's later work. The song as a whole is gorgeous.
    @Seventeen Days - 9.5 Dark and moody Kate is my favorite kind of Kate, hence why I love the “Ninth Wave” suite so much. As much as I hate the word due to overuse, this song really is quite epic.
    @OspreyQueen - 9 This is where The Sensual World really begins. I love the way it slowly unfurls and evolves into that gorgeous final act, sort of like a rose.
    @sfmartin - 9 Haunting, moody and mysterious. The violins in this is stunning.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8 Decent.
    @nametag - 8 The strings kicking in on this is one of my favourite moments in any Kate Bush song, but after that it does sort of just float along a bit. I do love the atmosphere but I feel like it’s missing something and peaks too soon.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Atmospheric, but doesn't capture me.

5. [​IMG]
    Way too soon. Can think of at least half a dozen other tracks that should have left long before The Fog
    [​IMG]

6. The only shock from these last 4 or so was Rocket's Tail surviving this long, that, and The Dreaming remaining untouched. How?

7. Flippin Nora, seeing The Fog go is distressing. It's one of the most haunting, hypnotic songs I've heard and is definitely in my top five Kate songs.
    Wonder when and what the first Dreaming track will be to go?

P'NutButter, slurmjunkie and lob0to like this.
  8. The Kick Inside missing top 40? What the actual fuck?

[​IMG]

Cutlery, JamesJupiter, lob0to and 3 others like this.
  9. As mentioned previously, I would have given my 11 to The Ninth Wave as a whole, but couldn't decide on a single track to give it to. So I picked the standalone song that comes closest to giving me a similar feeling to listening to The Ninth Wave. 'The Fog' has spoken words from Kate's father. seaside sound effects as well as Michael Kamen's fantastic orchestra arrangement that mimics the waves of the sea. Since all the experimental stuff from The Dreaming and most of The Ninth Wave is still in the running, I'm a bit flummoxed that the most experimental track from The Sensual World leaves prematurely. I expected 'The Sensual World', 'This Woman's Work' and 'Never Be Mine' to be more popular here, but I'm surprised that 'Love And Anger' and 'Deeper Understanding' are, too.

However, it was nice to read the following reassuring comments, which I wholeheartedly agree with:
    All the individual parts such as Kate's and her father's spoken words, Davy Spillane's whistles, Alan Murphy's guitar flourishes, and in particular, Nigel Kennedy's evocative violin playing gel together perfectly to create this incredible atmosphere. Kate's vocal from 0:36 to 1:08 is one of the most affecting she ever recorded: so comforting but fragile at the same time. The following vocal and its musical accompaniment conjure up the image of sudden fog appearing and create a shift in mood: from comfort and protection to a sense of danger. In the words of Kate: wow, unbelievable. That was my reaction when I first heard it, and its impact on me has only grown bigger over the decades.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  10. So, the second elimination for today is quite a big deal in that it was a single...

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 The Whole Story was the first Kate album I owned, and when I finally started delving into the albums proper, I was put off buying The Dreaming until last, largely based on my initial dislike for this track, and the popular perception that Kate had gone bonkers. Well, how wrong my preconceptions were! As for the title track... Kate's attempt at an Australian accent is funny. I'd like to think that this was partly about the UK detonating nuclear weapons in remote areas of Australia, and the stark contrast between the Western mindset of land being something to be used for profit and owned vs. the Aboriginal concept of the land being sacred. OK, I haven't really addressed the music yet - while not much of a tune on a musical level, it's an interesting piece, and I love, love, LOVE the instrumental segue between this and 'Night of the Swallow'. For that, I'd give this 10 alone.
    @Music Is Life - 10 This is so weird and I fucking love it. Like I literally have no other words for this right now, cause it's so weird. Like I gasped out “What?” at some point during the song, in the middle of the library at the college. That's how much this surprised me.
    @OspreyQueen - 10 I immediately adored this song on my first play of The Whole Story, and that hasn’t changed one bit. The way it paints out its world in front of you, not only with its lyrics but also its soundscape full of vocal tics and those brilliant didgeridoos, is literally perfect. I honestly couldn’t find a single fault with it.
    @The Hot Rock - 10 Delightfully offbeat. Never expected anything like this before jumping into this discography.
    @sfmartin - 10 One of the more accessible songs on the album but still totally compelling. She's a master storyteller through lyrics and the way she shapes her voice and the sound. Nobody compares.
    @Seventeen Days - 10 When people ask me what I think of this album, I tell them that it’s “brilliantly bonkers”. This song is almost entirely the reason why I say that. The blend of didgeridoo samples, random 80s orchestral hits and Kate’s quasi-Australian drawl singing about the plight of the Aborigines, all conspires to make a song that’s so weird that you just end up loving every second of it.

@Jóga - 9 Point off because of the repetitiveness of it, although it is VERY GOOD.
    @DominoDancing - 8.5 Great arrangement, very adventurous songwriting, and yet super catchy.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 another video that scared me as a child. As with Leave It Open, I really like the multitude of voices Kate employs throughout this song and this is another example of the use of (very convincing) animal sounds to build atmosphere. I remember that it took many years and a lot of listens to actually pick out the DRE-A-M-T-I-ME vocals in the chorus though, it was quite the shock when I finally heard them.
    @Untitled - 7.5 Cute critique of colonialism but I'm gonna have to deduct like two points for not bothering to find an actual Aboriginal musician to play the instruments. See, when you don't support the people whose culture you've drawn inspiration from, the PDF file comes back to bite.
    @abael - 2 Australian accents are very avant-pop.

Sally_Harper, abael, Cutlery and 11 others like this.
  11. The Dreaming (song) is in the album top3, but y'all can keep stanning a song where she pretends to be a donkey I suppose.

Future Lover and OspreyQueen like this.
  12. The best song on the album being the first one out?????

[​IMG]

P'NutButter and sfmartin like this.
  13. Thank you, I shall!

14. How can this single already leave when the inferior 'Rubberband Girl' and 'King Of The Mountain' are still around? Also, it's just my luck that after losing my 11, the first track from The Dreaming to go isn't even one of the 9s I gave, resulting in a maximum loss of 21 points for me today.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  15. Sorry but that donkey impersonation ends entire careers and would be top 5 in a just rate.

I'd rather direct my ire onto the incoherent moodboard of Leave It Open and the pedestrian nursery tweet of Suspended. The Dreaming would've been so much more palatable without 'em.

16. Ah, so I think I was right with my prediction that 'The Fog' would be the next The Sensual World track to go.

Here's my cryptic prediction for the next The Sensual World track to leave:

touchthepast.jpg

17. Side note re: that The Dreaming write-up. You're meant to capitalise the A in Aborigines and Aboriginal; not doing so can be deemed offensive.

əʊæ likes this.
  18. Not quite. At least 'Rocket's Tail' left before.

19. Ah well, close enough.

20. Okay, so it's entirely confusing to my brain how I'm punched right in the fucking feels with some of these cuts and others leave me extremely cold in that I actually thought they had been ousted already, but...

Y'all really let us lose The Dreaming before we even hit the top 40? That one should have been top 15. It's gorgeous in a weird, perverse kinda way with Kate at her absolute bonkers best, giving us witchy chants and hypnotizing sounds. I mean... When it comes on I just wanna dance around naked around trees waving sticks in the air.

i hate this rate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.