This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #23-22!) | Page 40 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #23-22!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Hounds Of Love

51 vote(s)
    52.0%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. and another one?...

[​IMG]

Song Of Solomon (Director's Cut) 6.71

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @P'NutButter, @lob0to
    Lowest score: 0 x 1 @slurmjunkie

@lob0to - 10 I like the original but this is an improvement.
    @djmakemewet - 9 Again, I appreciate the extra sense of space here and I like how the revamped third verse gives a bit more presence to the Trio Bulgarka's vocals. Otherwise, this is much the same as the original version, but just edges it out a little.
    @OspreyQueen - 8.5 While it’s not radically different from the original, I do think the lower key works better for the song.
    @DominoDancing - 8.5 Why is so much of Director's Cut produced worse than the original material? The song is still nearly as good as it is on The Red Shoes, but the chorus vocals sound a bit harsh in some places.
    @sfmartin - 8 I can't really tell the difference between the two versions but I prefer the new vocal and some of the other creative choices, even the "wop bam boom".
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8 It's actually better than I was expecting, but entirely unnecessary. I guess it goes to show than not even Kate can completely ruin a brilliant song. If I heard this as a 'live' performance, after all these years, I'd think it's quite good. The way she says 'wop bam boom' made me chuckle inside.
    @abael - 7 The older mix and digitized sound suits this better.
    @Jóga - 2 Boring, demo sounding.

2. Yikes, I thought for a sec that that was the real 'Song of Solomon' departing.

Trouble in Paradise and abael like this.
  3. That's a huge problem for me with The Director's Cut. Parts of this sound like Kate just ran stems from the original through Audacity and pitched it down a few keys, like any of us could have done, at home. I assume that's actually what actually happened.

Doesn't adequately explain the poorly-produced, muffled-sounding vocals, though.

1991, Eric Generic and DominoDancing like this.
  4. Had me going for a second too. In retrospect I may have overscored the Director's Cut in a vacuum, as it has many of my favorite songs on it, but she doesn't really do much with them and more often than not makes things worse.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  5. Therein lies the problem.

6. I am so glad Director's Cut keeps getting a kicking.

7. Yeah, as I said previously.. losing these songs is no real loss. She did virtually nothing to them and the originals always rank better. Moments of Pleasure and This Woman's Work remake are the only things worth considering. Electric chair to the rest.

8. Two leaving today and a rundown this evening of what has left thus far.

9. Completely different eras today, thankfully...

[​IMG]

50 Words For Snow 6.72

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @WhatKindOfKylie?
    Lowest score: 0 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@aux - 9.5 “bad for trains”
    @Jóga - 9 The masculine voice works much better here.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 Another song that could only be Kate. I love her egging on Stephen Fry as he reels off the snow synonyms and her spoken voice on the counting is effective again. The beat again evokes the image of snow piling up outside.
    @Jam - 8 Its odd, its a list, but can't help but love it.
    @abael - 8 Kind of hilarious? I'm glad I listened to it. Good on you Stephen, I don't know what Kate had planned if you couldn't pull it off, but judging from her tone I would be very relieved.
    @DominoDancing - 7 I like the groove and I like that this is a bit silly overall. And I simply love Stephen Fry to bit.
    @OspreyQueen - 5 I quite like the instrumental even if it is a little uhh, GarageBand-y. But the “words for snow” and Kate’s updates on how many Stephen still has to list off are an absolute chore to sit through. Kind of a waste of a genuinely interesting idea.
    @sfmartin - 5 Absolutely absurd which I usually love but it doesn't really work.
    @nametag - 4 This is a lesser version of Tori Amos’ 'Datura', sorry
    @ohnoitisnathan - 0 There's not really a tune in there.

10. There is a tune in there, in Kate's "Come on, man, you've got __ to go" bits. I know because I like to listen to this one as I walk my dog during the first snowfall of winter and that part always gets stuck in my head for days.

The song's supremely silly in a way that I really like, but I do recognize that it's a bit of an acquired taste.

slurmjunkie and P'NutButter like this.
  11. I think it's a nice creative idea to go with the album's theme but yeah, definitely the right time for it to leave. Crazy to think there's still over 100 songs to go!

12. Come on, man you got 113 to gooooo
    Come on, man you got 113 to gooooo!

13. Awwe this could've made top 100

There's still plenty of filler left from Lionheart btw

14. Boring indeed. Sorry folks, but 'The Song Of Solomon' is the epitome of boredom in any version (and so is 'And So Is Love'). The slug-like pace and the monotonous backing vocals might help insomniacs get some rest, but thankfully my sleep is sound. But where 'And So Is Love' is merely repetitive and dull, this song also gets on my nerves with its lazy chorus, one of Kate's worst. Given the subject matter, it sounds neither exciting nor yearning to me, and the way Kate pronounces "sexuality" makes it sound so lacklustre. And the less said about the embarrassing "Wop bam boom" the better.

That's a great interpretation which I hadn't noticed.

I agree with both comments, so gave this a 6. I also like the idea, but it should have either been two minutes shorter or had more musical variation.

Sorry, but I had to correct your comment. More importantly, it's high time that all the subpar material on The Red Shoes left.

15. Oh yeah, I forgot to ask when it was actually eliminated, but does anyone have official lyrics to Snowed In at Wheeler Street? I can't tell if Kate is singing "9/11 in New York" or "I'd been living in New York", and it's been nagging at me for a while because both lines kinda make sense and kinda don't.

əʊæ likes this.
  16. It's "9/11 in New York".

OspreyQueen and əʊæ like this.
  17. Yeah I agree The Song of Solomon is a dud for me too. And So Is Love is beautiful however.

18. Aww no! My biggest loss of the rate so far. Such bliss to listen too and I think Kate really excelled herself with this one too. I was only made aware of the song because of this rate. But shall certainly be re visiting it as part my winter playlists when the season comes back around again. She could have done 100 Words For Snow, and I would still have loved.

Aester and P'NutButter like this.
  19. Last one before another rundown...

[​IMG]

You Want Alchemy 6.74

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @Music Is Life, @Wild Man.
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 @1991

@lob0to - 9 With better production this could really have been something.
    @djmakemewet - 9 I can't even blame nostalgia for loving this one in spite of its dated sound since I was an adult when I heard it. The strings with the Clair de Lune interpolation are particularly gorgeous. Pleasantly surprised to see the lyrics for this in 'How to be Invisible' as well.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 The title made me expect a dark witchy song, but this is actually so lovely. Listening to Kate sing about how amazing bees are could brighten up the worst of days.
    @The Hot Rock - 7 Better than most of the tracks on The Red Shoes, oop.
    @Jóga - 6.5 It plods along a bit. It sounds beautiful, though.
    @31entrance - 6.5 Nice but not exceptional
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Pleasant, bogged down by the same tinny sound most of The Red Shoes suffers from.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 4.5. Very B-side material.

20. Another Red Shoes cut? Oh well, least it was only a B Side I suppose...

ohnoitisnathan and P'NutButter like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.