This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #23-22!) | Page 45 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #23-22!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Hounds Of Love

51 vote(s)
    52.0%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. I'n Still Waiting, is more of a funky Kate Bush song. So that has something about it I think.

P'NutButter and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  2. This is also how I reacted to hearing this for the first time. Especially since the original of 'Never Be Mine' is one of my favourite songs from Kate. However, I have warmed to it and now also think:
    What bugged me even more than the deconstructed chorus, however, was the completely altered bridge. It usually really annoys me when a beautiful melody is just replaced by some vague vocal phrasing for variety's sake. Nowadays, though, I have really come to appreciate this part as Kate sings it with so much emotion. I don't see this as a version to replace a seemingly inferior one, just as a good alternate take that is nice to have in addition to the sublime original and is worth 8 points.

As regards 'I'm Still Waiting':
    Yes, it's better than one album track (which unfortunately is still in).
    I gave it a 7 and have to agree with these comments apart from the sound of the rhythm track, which really dates this song. Thankfully, the two best b-sides from this era are still in.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Jóga, DominoDancing and P'NutButter like this.
  3. An overlooked gem (by the lady herself) is thrown out today.

4. Intriguing!

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  5. I guess this time time's up for 'Not This Time' since it was the other major b-side that wasn't included in the new box set (and 'The Empty Bullring' is already out).

djmakemewet and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  6. You may be right there then I think.

slurmjunkie likes this.
  7. I think my hint was a bit too obvious, but oh well...

[​IMG]

Not This Time 6.91

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Music Is Life, @ohnoitisnathan
    Lowest Score: 3 x 2 @1991, @abael

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Another favourite B-side of mine, and I was quite annoyed that it was left off The Other Sides, because I really wanted a remastered version of it. It's also amusing how Kate swears in the verses of this.
    @OspreyQueen - 9 I had no idea this even existed until now. What a hidden gem, I hope it gets a remaster someday.
    @DominoDancing - 8 Another little gem hidden as a b-side.
    @Seventeen Days - 8 This sounds familiar, and yet I don’t think I’ve heard it before. The chorus has that big 80s feel, which really adds to the triumphant feel of the woman regaining her freedom from the abusive husband/boyfriend.
    @djmakemewet - 6 I love the message in the lyrics of this song, but there's not much else that draws me to it. Once again, it seems baffling that the song wasn't included in the remasters though. Since this song served as the B-side to 'The Big Sky', I like that it builds to a big vocal climax in the same way as its A-side, but it's the weakest of the Hounds of Love B-sides for me.
    @Jóga - 6 The vocals are a mess

8. Yes, this is the weakest B-side from that era (together with another one that's still in). The production is a mess, it sounds really dated and the chorus is lazy. It's not bad, I quite like the vocals at the beginning, but overall it's very mediocre (5 points).
    Even though I don't think the song is essential at all, I can understand your disappointment. This kind of denial of parts of her back catalogue is lame when you consider that, at first glance, the project seems to be a definitive collection of her complete work. After all, the compilation isn't called Most Of The Other Sides.

ohnoitisnathan and P'NutButter like this.
  9. I love how 80s Kate looks on your cover there @P'NutButter!

10. I was Inspired by the picture on 'The Big Sky' picture disc -

[​IMG]

11. I think that pic is fast becoming my one of my favourites!

ohnoitisnathan and P'NutButter like this.
  12. I'm afraid it's actually one of my least favourite photos of her: way too much make-up and too much pink, and she looks exhausted.

P'NutButter likes this.
  13. Fair enough! But the pink is especially what I love about it hehe.

P'NutButter likes this.
  14. Me taking out all these trash b-sides with my low scores.
    [​IMG]

15. I'm sad about this next one leaving, and just missing the top 100...

[​IMG]

Lyra 6.92

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @JamesJupiter

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 By far the best song Kate has recorded this millennium. Had Aerial or 50 Words For Snow been more like this, I'd still be interested in her new material.
    @Jam - 9 As a fan of the Dark Materials books, but having never seen the film, I just treat this as an accompaniment to the books.
    @OspreyQueen - 8.5 This is just stunning. I love how warm and vivid the choir sounds.
    @31entrance - 7.5 Nice enough
    @sfmartin - 6 The first 30 seconds are so promising and then literally nothing else happens. Its very atmospheric but just the same melody over and over again is dull.
    @lob0to - 6 With her face, full of mace...uuurghh. 'Out Of The Storm' was better.
    @djmakemewet - 5 This one feels a little undercooked to me. I appreciate the ambient music and vocal backdrop, but Kate's melody feels like it meanders a little bit and the song feels longer than it actually is.
    @DominoDancing - 5 Not much happening here. Boring.
    @abael - 5 The most 5 song so far.

16. I actually gave Lyra a decent-ish score, but I'm absolutely perfectly fine with it leaving before the top 100...

17. Trash movie but I quite like this song, very minimal but not boring to me
    Also @ohnoitisnathan praise underrated/obscure tracks without shading Aerial/50WFS challenge, do that challenge !

P'NutButter likes this.
  18. Ahhh this is a real loss! This was one of my favorite "extras!" Also "Fullhouse" could've stuck around a little longer. I'm down for a continuation of the Lionheart culling though

Aester, P'NutButter and əʊæ like this.
  19. Goodbye! The fact that it's the song that fell just before the top 100 is now the most interesting thing about it.

slurmjunkie likes this.
  20. I'm not a fan of the overblown first 30 seconds and actually like the main melody from 0:38 to 1:14. However, the repetition of it is indeed dull and almost makes me aggressive, especially the combination of the sparse (but still schmaltzy) backing track with the umpteenth "Lyra". I think my 5 points are generous.

Karvel and P'NutButter like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.