This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #23!) | Page 41 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #23!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. Hounds Of Love

50 vote(s)
    51.5%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. That is the first elimination to really hurt. I adore ‘You Want Alchemy’ so much. It’s like a little proto-Aerial rolled into one, and just perfectly encapsulates Kate’s ability to tell stories and create little characters in single songs. The little ‘bzzzzzsun’s going down, oh when’s my cloud of bees coming home?’ is so joyful and melancholy all at once..

2. aux

aux

Seeing Rubberband Girl, the Director’s Cut version, at the bottom just feels right.

3. You Want Alchemy did NOT deserve that. It’s adorable!!

əʊæ and Aester like this.
  4. good riddance to 50 Words for Snow

You Want Alchemy..well it’s time for it to go

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  5. Your criticism of my criticism of Kate's post-'The Red Shoes' work has been rendered null and void.

6. I hope I zeroed your fave.

7. Gotta join in the defense of “Song of Solomon” cause the original is one of my fave discoveries of this rate! Kate’s vocal delivery of the chorus is perfect and the half throughout is entrancing

abael, P'NutButter, əʊæ and 3 others like this.
  8. On the contrary, it shows how much of a return to form most of Aerial was in comparison to the majority of The Red Shoes.

You only gave this 8 points. Does this mean that the original is your 11?

9. A return to form....aldehyde, perhaps.

That would be telling.

abael likes this.
  10. Feels like we have only scratched the surface of Kate's greatness so far.

P'NutButter likes this.
  11. The b-sides take another hit today.

12. I only know your critique of “The Red Boots” not the “The Red Shoes”, honey.

13. 50 Words leaving sucks but again is understandable. It's barely a song, but compared to the actual songs on the album it beats the lot. At least it's entertaining. Sad to see Red Boots continue to take hits, but if it must best it be You Want Alchemy. I actually thought it wouldn't get that far.

14. I think maybe you've confused me with abael @1991.

Trouble in Paradise, əʊæ and 1991 like this.
  15. Mess. You're both still under surveillance.

16. First of today's exits, and the first of it's era too...

[​IMG]

Lord Of The Reedy River 6.75

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @lob0to
    Lowest Score: 2 x 2 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @CasuallyCrazed

@djmakemewet - 9 This is gorgeous. The dripping water sound is so evocative and the flute-like synths are beautiful, yet just jarring enough in the sudden movement in the choruses to unsettle the listener. This is a B-side from The Dreaming after all. It's often easy for me to forget this is even a cover version, it feels so utterly Kate.
    @Untitled - 9 Spook me, forest hag!
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8.5 One thing that struck me about hearing Kate's B-sides for the first time, after getting the 'This Woman's Work' set in 1999, is how well non-dated they sounded, given that some of them were nearly 20 years old at that point. This is another that sounds 'current'.
    @Jóga - 8 Weird, eerie like the album. Good choice for a cover and a b-side.
    @DominoDancing - 8 Good cover. That extra chord change during the chorus makes the melody much more effective than it is on the original version.
    @Seventeen Days - 7.5 I’m surprised I haven’t listened to this before now, but this is quite good. The circus pipes dance that fine line of overkill after a minute, but Kate turns in a beautiful vocal as always.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 A very odd little song, but I like it. It makes a perfect addendum to The Dreaming.
    @sfmartin - 4 This has the making of something great but doesn't really go anywhere.

17. Finally, all the bad songs are leaving. Jokes aside I didn't realise the taste would be so varied, atleast it makes it interesting.

18. I'm afraid I gave this a 3 (probably underscored this by one point, though). I do like the lyrics, but the music does nothing for me. Also, there is one vocal part which really stands out in a bad way. Her screams near the end (clearly indebted to the ones Paul McCartney did near the end of 'Hey Jude', which Steven Tyler adopted so regularly that it became his trademark) fall flat. They almost sound like she lost her voice. She did this kind of thing more successfully during the coda of 'The Big Sky'.

I agree with most of the comments above and gave 7 points. I think the musical motif borders on overkill, though, making it a bit repetitive. Otherwise, I would have given it a higher score.

OspreyQueen and DominoDancing like this.
  19. Lord Of The Ready River, was just a bit too out there for my tastes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.