This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #29-28!) | Page 27 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS #29-28!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. Hounds Of Love

50 vote(s)
    51.5%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. It's funny seeing people a bit shaken already, when they have no idea the messes that will happen along the way.

[​IMG]

2. I get terrified every time you tag me in a post, waiting for the moment my terrible taste is revealed!

3. Yours was quite tame compared to some, believe me.

4. If I'm gauging popular sentiment properly, I think I want the mess.

5. I have to agree with the comments above and gave 4 points mainly for the composition still being intact.

I'm a bit baffled because both comments above perfectly explain why I had to give this a zero (thank you @lob0to and @DominoDancing), so to me 4 or 5 points seem really overscored.

6. I’m surprised that Deeper Understanding is out so early. I mean, I appreciate that the new chorus vocals are extremely divisive but the song itself still holds up fairly well in my opinion. Not a patch on the original though, of course.

P'NutButter, abael and lob0to like this.
  7. That's the trouble with rates. One person's zero is another's 'oh I like the artist anyway, so I'm not scoring anything lower than 5'.

nametag, P'NutButter, JonBcn and 3 others like this.
  8. It's Kate, my favourite female artist of all time. Zeros don't exist in this sphere. Admittedly I had to force myself to listen to it to give it a score, that on reflection may be slightly too high, but too late now, what's done is done.

P'NutButter, JonBcn and slurmjunkie like this.
  9. She's also my favourite female artist of all time even though zeros exist in this sphere.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  10. I don't think there's any zeroes in this rate either. A zero has to leave me genuinely shocked and disgusted that the artist thought ANY part of the song was a good idea, and I honestly don't think there's a song that fits that description here. Even the DC version of Rubberband Girl has a decent enough instrumental even if the vocals are like nails on a chalkboard. She's not the Pet Shop Boys who, as much as I love them, would literally release anything.

Aester and lob0to like this.
  11. I tend to reserve zeros for things I really, really hate and as I said above the original Elton version was a song I used to quite like before '97. Her version is pretty anaemic but not 100% crap. Now if she'd recorded a reggaetón version with autotuned vocals I'd probably be 000000.

Aester and slurmjunkie like this.
  12. I mean I don’t actually think the songs I gave a 0 or 1 to are objectively that irredeemable but within the context of a discography as strong as Kate’s a 0 felt generous

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  13. Hey hey hey you, there already was a 1 from in these first eliminations!

14. The thing about Deeper Understanding is that it was such a pointless remake, why bother creating a similar song? why? plus the chorus is hilarious, I get that they put it because the theme was so ahead of its time in the original, but still...

Candle In The Wind is cute, an ok cover, not an excellent one

ohnoitisnathan and P'NutButter like this.
  15. I quite am shocked in a way by that last elimination. Not Classic Kate by any means but thought it would hang on more longer.

ohnoitisnathan and P'NutButter like this.
  16. I was surprised to find out that my Lionheart average is actually (slightly) higher than the one for The Kick Inside.

DominoDancing and lob0to like this.
  17. Same here!

slurmjunkie likes this.
  18. Another?

[​IMG]

The Man I Love (Kate Bush & Larry Adler) 5.62

Highest Score: 9 x 2 @Ed72, @lob0to
    Lowest score: 1 x 1 @CasuallyCrazed

@Seventeen Days - 8 Kate’s voice fits this song like a glove. This is definitely beautiful.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 7 Not my preferred style of music, but I like the "maybe Tuesday will be my good news day" lyric, and Kate's execution of it.
    @djmakemewet - 6 It's nice to hear Kate step out of her comfort zone (if she even has one) on a song like this, but this is not a sound that really appeals to me. I do love the way she vamps on “my good news day” though – what a minx.
    @DominoDancing - 5 It somehow seems unfair to rate a Gershwin cover recorded for a tribute album as part of this rate, but here you go. Kate sounds lovely, the song does fuck all for me, let's stick to a 5?
    @OspreyQueen - 3.5 This really isn’t for me at all.
    @Untitled - 3 Euthanasia for one!
    @confess85 - 3 I find this a bit lifeless.

19. Kate is stunning in that video. And that is... about all that The Man I Love offers.

20. Aw, I actually really liked that cover! But jazz always gets savaged in these rates, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

lob0to and JonBcn like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.