This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 31 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. I love Big Stripey Lie. The violin, the clunky bass, that accent. It sounds like someone trying to scream away their sadness.

2. More explanations when these songs are revealed (the first one hopefully much later than the second one). Of course, alternatively you could just add 'Be Kind To My Mistakes' to the album.

3. I agree with the comments above. I also like the violin parts and the vocals but I'm not keen on the grungy production and industrial sounds. And the squeaky bit that runs through the whole track is really grating. Nevertheless, this is still better than six other songs on the album (that is, half of it) which should have left before. So I gave it a 5.

P'NutButter and OspreyQueen like this.
  4. 'Big Stripey Lie' only seems half-finished/half-written to me. It needs more lyrics or something; another verse or two.

P'NutButter likes this.
  5. The biggest surprise of this rate so far is Director's Cut not getting the Britney Jean treatment. At least Big Stripey Lie was a bop!

6. Can you believe I've booted out 8 tracks already?! Another?...

[​IMG]

Show A Little Devotion 6.18

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Ana Raquel
    Lowest score: 1 x 1 @slurmjunkie

@Jóga - 8.5 One of my favourite b-sides
    @djmakemewet - 8 This is another of those meandering songs and it has dated production, yet I love it. I think unlike many of the B-sides from The Sensual World, it at least feels like the chorus takes off a bit here.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 7 Not having bought Kate's singles, I didn't actually hear this until getting the Remastered sets. Decent.
    @Seventeen Days - 6.5 Those super 80's gated drums really didn’t die until the mid-90s, did they? I do like the sound of this though.
    @DominoDancing - 5 Just mediocre. Obvious b-side material.

7. Kate looks super cool on that artwork!

P'NutButter, Aester and djmakemewet like this.
  8. The artwork for each of these has really been top notch. As someone with zero artistic skill I am in awe!

9. Same here, the less said about my so called art skills, the better!

Aester and djmakemewet like this.
  10. Thank you so much for saying this. I really wanted the art to seem authentic to the eras, etc.

Karvel, Sally_Harper, Cutlery and 9 others like this.
  11. I'm saving them all one by one.

P'NutButter and djmakemewet like this.
  12. Hmm, I guess if The Red Shoes really is the next era in the cross-hairs, at least it started with the right ones. Also, I echo the sentiment around the artwork, it definitely is a sweetener for what will undoubtedly be a sour rate for a few posters. (Seriously though, I have 2 10's in this entire rate which both come from The Red Shoes, can we divert our aim perhaps?)

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    P'NutButter likes this.
  13. I adore The Red Shoes, and alas know it's really gonna get a plastering in this rate.

P'NutButter likes this.
  14. Two untouched eras get a kicking soon.

15. Mmh

aux likes this.
  16. Lionheart, must be one I think.

aux likes this.
  17. Ha! I didn't even notice that!

...or did I?

No

[​IMG]

Snowed In At Wheeler Street 6.28

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @DominoDancing
    Lowest score: 0.5 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@DominoDancing - 10 I know y'all gonna hate this because of Dame Elton, but it really is my favourite song on this album. The chorus brings a bit of drama to an otherwise very laid back album.
    @OspreyQueen - 9 This one is just fantastic. The lyrics are vivid and engrossing, the instrumental is fittingly dark and tense, and while I’m not much of a fan of Elton, I can’t deny he gives a great performance here alongside Kate.
    @sfmartin - 8 I've always found this a bit meandering.
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 There's a lot of tension in this song which eventually leads to an explosive chorus, but the lyrics feel a little underdeveloped. While I haven't been able to unhear Vic Reeves' club singer voice in Elton's vocals after reading a description of them that made that comparison, there's real desperation in the vocals at the end that help to sell the song.
    @Jóga - 7 I wish it wasn’t a duet.
    @JonBcn - 7 I like the premise of the song, but let’s face it it’s pretty cheesy and is spoiled by Elton hamming it up. It’s great that she finally got to work with him though (imagine if this has been Bowie instead!)
    @abael - 3 Kate and Elton duet. Feels wrong in a bland way.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 0.5 Oh no, another slow dirge that's at least twice as long as it should be, this time with added Elton John.

18. OKAY THEN! Apparently this forum thinks this is worse than "Ken". I should just log out forever.

19. The song isn't great but Ken outlasting it as well as about another 10 songs is a crime. @P'NutButter I know you wont want to give too much away in terms of averages but has the bottom (say from 100 onwards) looked similar throughout?

20. Maybe Ken IS the man that we all need after all...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.