This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 32 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Interesting, I feel the chorus is too overblown and grating (whereas the rest is just boring). I prefer the more sophisticated chorus of 'Walk Straight Down The Middle' or even the chorus-less 'Be Kind To My Mistakes'.

I gave this a 3 and have eight songs I find worse. However, 'Ken' isn't among them as I find it slightly less bad.
    Yes, Elton hamming it up ruins this for me. It's the same with his Pet Shop Boys collaborations.

P'NutButter likes this.
  2. Kate well and truly outshines Elton on this one. Like the genius she is.

P'NutButter likes this.
  3. Good. The 4 songs preceding this on that joke of an album can follow it out.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  4. No way, I have two 9s and a 10 among them. It's time to get back to The Red Shoes and Director's Cut.

Karvel, Aester, lob0to and 1 other person like this.
  5. Yeah, I don't feel like we need to lose another 50 Words for Snow track yet.

6. No, I haven't got a single 10 there. Apart from Director's Cut, which I don't count as a proper album anyway, all the others have at least one 10.

7. Hey, if you're dead-set on stanning a 13 minute song about banging a snowman, more power to you, music accommodates all kinds.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  8. Oh, I absolutely am! Every night.

Karvel, Aester, sfmartin and 3 others like this.
  9. aux

aux

When will your fave?

Karvel, Aester, lob0to and 4 others like this.
  10. If Aerial was released in 2005, I guess 6 years into giving up?

11. Another one...

[​IMG]

In The Warm Room 6.31

Highest Score: 9 x 2 @lob0to, @Wild Man.
    Lowest score: 3 x 1 @slurmjunkie, @CasuallyCrazed

@Music Is Life - 8 The piano is great, but there's not a lot here keeping my attention.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 This could easily be a bit of a bore, but Kate’s vocals and the intriguing lyrics keep you hooked.
    @djmakemewet - 7 I think I've always seen this as the somewhat inferior sequel to 'Feel It' but I love the lounge singer vibes she gives off on this track, amplified by her performance atop the piano during The Tour of Life.
    @Untitled - 7 Whatever's happening in there, I bet it's illicit.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Unremarkable.
    @sfmartin - 5 It feels longer than some of her 13 minute opuses.
    @Jóga - 5 The vocals. God.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 4 Competent singing, piano playing, and songwriting... just not that interesting.

12. In The Warm Room...it's technically not a bad song but also..not interesting

Karvel, aux, əʊæ and 2 others like this.
  13. seymour kids who are wrong.jpg
    Haha wow, not only is In The Warm Room my favourite Lionheart track by a wide margin, it's my favourite track of her first 4 albums. I guess it's only fitting that, b-sides included, It's the first out from them. I am really out of step with general Kate Bush opinion. If I am this off-base, I guess we're in for a Leave It Open/The Dreaming/Wild Man top 3. #132 and 1/6 of my 8+ are out.
    Am I really this out of touch?

(Artwork still on point though.)

P'NutButter and AGiantSheep like this.
  14. While I'm with you on the lack of love for '50 Words For Snow' and (I think) 'Aerial', your other opinions of Kate's music appear to be somewhat... unique.

P'NutButter and əʊæ like this.
  15. Finding it hard to catch up. Please would someone post a recap of when results so far?

From what I have seen, there have not been any surprises but perhaps some songs could have made it a bit further.

16. Yes, it would be great if you could add the titles and averages of the songs that leave on page 1, @P'NutButter. That way, one would know at a glance which songs have left so far, and in the end one would be able to see the complete list.

Well, regarding what most Kate Bush fans seem to love about her work, I'm afraid you are. Looking at your album averages, it's no surprise to me that this is your favourite from Lionheart by a wide margin as it's my least favourite from it by a wide margin (there are no exclusive b-sides from that era, though, because she just used album tracks). However, it's not my least favourite track of her first four albums. That honour would go to 'L'Amour Looks Something Like You'. I'd be surprised if that song wasn't one of your favourites, too.

As for your feared top 3 prediction, I would be disappointed because for once I'm with you on a 50 Words For Snow track not being very good ('Wild Man' is the epitome of average). I really like the other two tracks ('Leave It Open' even more than the title track) but I have others from that album (and the following two) that I love more. I would be pleasantly suprised, though, if 'Leave It Open' made the top 20 or so.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    P'NutButter and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  17. Coming into this rate on name recognition alone really, veterans simply hold a different perspective on what Kate Bush and her music means to them; and I expected as much when I decided to give this a try. I just didn't realise the extent of how contrary that perspective was going to be. As for 'L'Amour Looks Something Like You', I found it a more middling tune, falling on the good side of average.

My opinion on Aerial is it would be one of her best, if she threw the first disk out.

P'NutButter likes this.
  18. Links to each result is being posted here, and it's just the numbers so the actual result isn't ruined for those wanting a surprise.

Aester, abael and əʊæ like this.
  19. Wow... I didn't see this one coming. 'In the Warm Room' is such a delicate song, sung so beautifully...

lob0to likes this.
  20. Only one result will be posted later, but I think it's quite a big deal?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.