This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 33 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Must be "Eat the Music" already. Unfairly maligned just because it's so... linear, I guess. And annoyingly cheerful? But hey, you don't get those puss = fruit metaphors anymore.

2. I don’t really get the hate for Snowed In... I know that Elton can be a bit of an unlikeable twat, but I love the instrumental (which is very much like a dark twin to Prologue) and Kate sounds great on the “don’t want to lose you” refrain.

Some people’s dismissal of Kate’s later works saddens me.

Aester, P'NutButter, JonBcn and 3 others like this.
  3. I hope this is not the case. I think this song is rather fun!

abael likes this.
  4. I don't mind that it's so linear. The chorus is atrocious, though. It's a shame because I enjoy how Kate sings the verses.

5. Calypso- pop is usually horrid. Just like Eurythmics' Right by Your Side.

slurmjunkie likes this.
  6. This is a good guess...

...same album

[​IMG]

Why Should I Love You? 6.34

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Music Is Life
    Lowest score: 0 x 1 @slurmjunkie

@djmakemewet - 8 Another bop as far as I'm concerned. Who else but Kate would work with Prince and Lenny Henry on the same song. The nostalgia goggles will come off and remain off now, though.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 I’m conflicted about this one. It’s undoubtedly more of a Prince song than a Kate song, and while that’s by no means a bad thing, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the album. I think if it was a standalone single or a B-side I’d like it a lot more.
    @Seventeen Days - 7.5 I always felt like Prince kind of went off the rails after he changed his name to a symbol and started appearing with the word “Slave” on his face. His bombastic production flair on this definitely feels just a smidge overdone (to put it nicely), but I found myself bopping regardless.
    @Jóga - 5 This album is more boring than I remembered. By the time it gets to this one the past three songs have been a big mesh of bland guitars.
    @DominoDancing - 5 Absolutely hate the wanky guitar parts in this. If they are Prince's, what can I say. I really don't think this was a successful collaboration.
    @confess85 - 4 I hate to say that Prince really ruined this one. The demo however is stunning!
    @sfmartin - 3 I've always found this an odd one, not a pleasant listen. The chorus is difficult to get through, it doesn't work in the slightest. Plus it drags on and on.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 3 The solo Kate + piano demo would score a 10 for me, but this is pretty much awful... well, as awful as pre-'Aerial' Kate can get.

7. aww I kinda liked this one, still not a major loss however

əʊæ and djmakemewet like this.
  8. I think the Prince version and the solo demo are terrible, and I'm glad Constellation of the Heart is still clinging on.

sfmartin and Wild Man. like this.
  9. Oh great, glad that has bogged off. The demo is beautiful but the album version is a noisey mess. Also glad that Constellation and Eat the music live on to fight another day.

sfmartin likes this.
  10. Was she drunk when she programmed the drums for the demo?

11. Ha. I think it was just a guide track and she was recording ideas as they came to her?

DominoDancing likes this.
  12. I have to agree with the above. Prince's style doesn't suit Kate's and I was sceptical as soon as their collaboration was announced. I don't know why she bothered anyway as Prince's greatest years as an artist had already passed. Then again, Kate's songwriting and production skills were in decline, too.

13. Ugh, another 8 down. Anyway I should have scored Waking the Witch better, it's grown on me. Considering how the rate has gone however, I would probably just curse it to be the first Hounds of Love song out.

P'NutButter likes this.
  14. Another untouched era gets a hit with this next one, ready?...

[​IMG]

The Empty Bullring 6.35

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan
    Lowest score: 3 x 2 @sfmartin, @1991

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 One of her best B-sides. Why she left it off The Other Sides is beyond me.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 It's a shame that this was left off the recent remasters, especially given its status as Kate's first non-album B-side. Kate has such a knack for creating an evocative atmosphere with only her voice and the piano.
    @Seventeen Days - 7 Kind of feeling like it was a b-side for a reason, but honestly even Kate’s b-sides were (mostly) still great tracks.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Okay, but definitely a b-side.
    @sfmartin - 3 She's probably not singing about a shopping centre in Birmingham.

Karvel, Music Is Life, abael and 14 others like this.
  15. About time.
    [​IMG]

aux likes this.
  16. I love Why Should I Love You. It really is just so 90s.

Music Is Life likes this.
  17. That's a positive development.

Maybe she realised it's sick to glamourise bullfighting and no longer wanted to contribute to it.
    I think it's a mediocre song in which her high-pitched vocal style becomes very grating (5 points).

lob0to likes this.
  18. and the second of today's exits...

[​IMG]

The Red Shoes (Director's Cut) 6.4

Highest Score: 9.5 x 1 @Ed72
    Lowest score: 3 x 2 @AGiantSheep, @ohnoitisnathan

@sfmartin - 8 She doesn't try anything that new with this really. It's pretty pointless but I love the song so its an easy listen.
    @djmakemewet - 7 This probably feels like one of the more pointless reinterpretations to me, though I do appreciate the four-to-the-floor beat in the extended instrumental sections and the “woop woop”s are classic bonkers Kate. I do like the cold ending on this version too.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 The song does just as little for me in this version as it does in its original form.
    @OspreyQueen - 5.5 It’s about two minutes too long.
    @Jóga - 4 Muddled which I hate.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 3 The original was never my fave Kate song, but it's still better than this re-make.

19. aux

aux

This is one of the most inessential remakes of them all, so I'm glad to see it gone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.