This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. The original is an easy 10 so I had a small heart attack here.

2. This is inferior to the original, which is one of my (few) favourites from the album. Although she tried to make it weirder vocal-wise, I feel the result sounds cheesy instead of crazy: not a fan of the "whoop whooop" at all, and the rhythmic vocal bit starting at 1:37 is ridiculous. Also, this plods along without the energy of the original. As it's still close to the original, I gave it a generous 7 (my highest-scoring song to leave so far).

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  3. Director's Cut is so all over the place in terms of quality, it's genuinely baffling. How on earth did the reworkings of Moments of Pleasure and This Woman's Work end up on the same project as Rubberband Girl, And So Is Love and Never Be Mine?

4. I almost had a heart attack thinking it was the original, honestly it's one of her best bops.
    I know people drag Rubberband Girl but atleast she completely reinvented it. I.. genuinely don't see the point of keeping the instrumentals and just laying down new vocals (I know she mentions the mix but still.. nah). She should have done the entire album of remakes, would have made more sense. As many of us have said both Moments of Pleasure and This Woman's Work were largely successful.

5. I like it more than over half of 'The Kick Inside' and all of 'Lionheart'.

6. @P'NutButter can you please put the list of eliminations on page one of this thread - in a spoiler tag, at least. It'd be much easier to keep track of, rather than clicking the individual post links for every number.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    P'NutButter and slurmjunkie like this.
  7. I should be upset seeing this go, in my opinion, a bit early...
    but bitch it's just gorgeous. Sorry in advance @P'NutButter for potentially ruining any of your future rates by my complete lack of knowledge, but I'm following you anywhere. Sorry/Not Sorry about Red Shoes getting the boot, a great song but the Directors Cut is clearly inferior. IDK why I rated them the same, that was a mistake on my part.

P'NutButter likes this.
  8. Two complete oddities are booted today, one seems kinda apt for the weekend just gone. Ha!

A rundown of what has been eliminated will be coming soon.

9. Thank you!

10. The Director's Cut really wasn't needed was it? As good as some of it actually is.

11. This next one bridged that long gap, in a way...

[​IMG]

Mná na hÉireann 6.41

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Ed72
    Lowest score: 1 x 1 @WhatKindOfKylie?

@confess85 - 8 Lovely vocal.
    @The Hot Rock - 7 I'm floating.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 7 No idea what she's singing, but at least her voice is good and the melody is nice.
    @djmakemewet - 6 This is one that I struggle to remember, even though I've heard it many times. It's certainly a beautiful song, though.
    @DominoDancing - 5 Cute, but non-essential.
    @Jóga - 4 Can’t say I liked it.

12. Not my cup of tea at all that one!

aux likes this.
  13. Yep, liked this one too, and as such, it must go.

P'NutButter likes this.
  14. Was there lots of stories between the long gap between The Red Shoes and Aerial, that Kate was working on a new album, or did it just come as a surprise nearer the time?

15. A solid 6 and therefore out too soon. I'd rather listen to this than a jazz cover, and Irish folk has been a strong influence in some of her original work. The tune is very beautiful and Kate sings well. However, it's a little too sparse and repetitive for my tastes.

Also, I was already used to a superior adaption as The Christians based their brilliant 1989 single 'Words' on this melody (the ending of which gives me goosebumps):

16. Why isn't "Before The Dawn" on this list? It's honestly my favourite thing she's ever done. The live versions of the songs on disc 1 (except RUTH and HOL) are better than their studio incarnations IMO. I mean listening to that version of "Never Be Mine" is so wonderfully beautiful and tragic at the same time, like drowning in treacle

JonBcn likes this.
  17. Maybe to prevent us from having to listen to the badly performed and poorly written dramatic scenes that were misguidedly added to The Ninth Wave.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  18. It's mostly original songs to her catalog. 'Tawny Moon' has been included as a bonus though.

From reading the Homeground books, it seemed like everything went silent. Now and again a report of her going to a concert or being seen at an event would be reported, but otherwise she completely disappeared. We now know she was recording parts of Aerial in 1995/6.

Anyhoo, onto another...

[​IMG]

Ken 6.44

Highest Score: 10 x 3 @Ana Raquel, @Music Is Life, @ohnoitisnathan
    Lowest score: 1 x 1 @Jam

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Technically not really worth a 10 on the song's merits alone, I love the silliness of it.
    @31entrance - 9 I really don’t know or care who Ken is but I’m bopping??
    @Seventeen Days - 8.5 ... Oh my god, this is HILARIOUS. I love that Kate just threw caution to the wind and made this song as cheesy as she could. “Funky Sex Machine” sounds like a song written by Prince.
    @confess85 - 8 This one is a guilty pleasure.
    @aux - 8 Kate Bush really said ‘fuck the Tories’
    @Jóga - 8 I love the drums in this one.
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 Well, this an interesting one. I could do without hearing Ken Livingstone described as a “funky sex machine” but I do love how ridiculous this one is, from the blaring superhero-esque horn synths to the choir of voices to, of course, those lyrics. Who knew that this would make for one of the most interesting B-sides from the album?
    @OspreyQueen - 7 I’m not educated enough to comment on the political side of this song, so to me this is just a big dumb, but weirdly enjoyable bop.
    @sfmartin - 7 The song is actually great but Kate needs to stay away from Politics.
    @DominoDancing - 4 Oof. I know it's something of a joke song, but still...

19. Thank god we're finally starting to trim the fat.

20. should've known it would exit early but it's a fun little bop, didn't realize its connection to politics though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.