This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 35 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. I hadn't heard "Ken" before this rate and I only vaguely knew who Ken Livingstone was, but the song's been stuck in my head for weeks now! I've come to love it.

P'NutButter and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  2. RIP you strange little bop.

P'NutButter, Aester and sfmartin like this.
  3. Obviously I didn't zero enough 'Aerial' tracks, as was my initial plan.

4. Why Should I Love You is a mess, I kind of like it? It's a disappointment considering both Kate Bush and Prince are musical legends though.

The Cut version of The Red Shoes is pointless

Big Stripey Lie deserved better it was so bizzare and unique, I liked to hear Kate trying something so different.

In The Warm Room was Feel It 2.0 affair, so I never really was that into her.

P'NutButter likes this.
  5. The first of today's exits, both of which seem to fall under the same umbrella...

[​IMG]

Prelude 6.44

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @sfmartin
    Lowest score: 0 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@sfmartin - 10 It does a perfect job of opening the suite. Bertie is just adorable and matched with the piano its quite moving.
    @Jóga - 9 I love the melody.
    @djmakemewet - 8 Short and sweet. The piano line on this one is gorgeous.
    @DominoDancing - 7 Cute intro. A Sky of Honey generally works better as a whole than in pieces, and this piano riffing is pretty but not super interesting on its own.
    @abael - 6 Nice owl sounds.
    @OspreyQueen - 5 I still don’t see the point in this being a separate track from 'Prologue'.
    @aux - 5 It’s an intro track, so it’s really difficult to rate, but it does the job of setting the scene for A Sky of Honey’s soundscape.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 0 This might work as background music for a nature scene, but as a song, I have no desire to ever listen to this again.

6. Gosh, this is out far too early. It is short but gorgeous.

I've always heard the blackbirds/Kate cooing 'Don't grow old Bertie' which I've always found lovely.

P'NutButter and sfmartin like this.
  7. Like I mentioned with the last elimination, the two today are quite alike in a way, in that they hold a similar space on their albums...

[​IMG]

Night Scented Stock 6.48

Highest Score: 9.5 x 1 @djmakemewet
    Lowest score: 1.5 x 1 @Untitled

@djmakemewet - 9.5 I love the layering of Kate's vocals here – it almost feels like a modern classical piece. So many of the songs on this record segue into one another masterfully and I love the way that this song acts as a bridge between 'The Infant Kiss' and 'Army Dreamers'.
    @lob0to - 9 Has never left my portable device. Works as a great segue 9 times out of 10.
    @Music Is Life - 8 A nice enough interlude. I like the “ahhs”.
    @Jóga - 8 Very beautiful. Does it count as a song though? Isn’t it more of a interlude?
    @sfmartin - 7 Not much to say, creates an eerie mood.
    @DominoDancing - 7 Okay interlude.
    @Seventeen Days - 6 Some pretty vocals, but not much to judge about this one. Does what it’s supposed to do as an interlude.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 6 Some nice 'ah's doth not a song make.
    @31entrance - 6 it’s a decent transition/interlude/whatever idk how to score it???
    @OspreyQueen - 5 It does what it does nicely enough, but I can’t say I care for it much at all.
    @Untitled - 1.5 Well, that didn't amount to much now, did it? Could've used some more blood-curdling screams, I think.

8. I long suspected that there was a connection between Night Scented Stock and Blow Away, mainly stemming from an old clip where she's playing the piano and it sounded like it could be either song. Never knew it was originally part of the track though!

Aester, P'NutButter and lob0to like this.
  9. I agree with your comment on "funky sex machine" but the biggest problem for me are the horn synths: they sound bad and harsh and make this the most dated production in Kate's work. It's a shame because I really like the way she belts this out: most of the song is in the vein of the extended coda of 'Hey Jude', similar to the one in 'The Big Sky' but even rockier vocal-wise.
    Yes, I guess it was very suitable for the film but as a stand-alone song I can't give more than a 4 as well.

I agree with most of these comments and have just lost my first 9 (with all of my 8s still in the running). By the way, the piano riff mirrors the birdsong sample, which is a wood-pidgeon not an owl or a blackbird. It's the same birdsong as the one at the end of 'Aerial Tal' (the beginning of which features a blackbird) which is the base of the chant "A sea of honey, a sky of honey".

In contrast to 'Prelude', I always found 'Night Scented Stock' to be a pointless exercise. As a stand-alone track, it doesn't work at all. As an interlude, it's boring, making this the worst track on the album and receiving a 4 from me. Never For Ever would be better without it and instead the single version of 'Army Dreamers' immediately following 'The Infant Kiss'.

10. Hey, an ouster that I agree with! Night Scented Stock was one of the worse songs on that album. That makes three so far!

P'NutButter likes this.
  11. It's a good day for @ohnoitisnathan with the two tracks leaving later!

12. Ran Tan Waltz, Passing through air, Warm and soothing, Lord of the reedy river, My lagan love, Not this time, Burning this bridge, I’m still waiting, Walk straight down the middle, You want alchemy, Humming - all these can leave next.

aux likes this.
  13. No, they can't. 'Passing Through Air' is one of her best early songs. 'Walk Straight Down The Middle' is very good, too. And most of the other songs you mentioned are merely average than bad (exception: 'You Want Alchemy').

These should leave next: 'And So Is Love', 'The Song Of Solomon' (both versions), 'Sexual Healing', 'Eat The Music', 'L'Amour Looks Something Like You', 'You're The One', 'You Want Alchemy', 'Room For The Life' and 'Moments Of Pleasure' (Director's Cut).

I wouldn't cry if 'Warm And Soothing" left, though.

14. All of what remains of 'Aerial' and '50 Words For Snow' need to go before we reach the top 100.

Future Lover likes this.
  15. I hope this view isn't shared by the majority of voters as only one song from Aerial and two from 50 Words For Snow need to go before we reach the top 100.

sfmartin, Karvel and lob0to like this.
  16. I really like Night Scented Stock, it works perfectly as an interlude and it introduces to the one-two punch of Army Dreamers and Breathing, that are quite frankly, probably the best that album has to offer (I mean Breathing has to be one of the best vocal performances of Kate Bush, it's almost frightening), it's very simple but it works perfectly, especially after The Infant Kiss (the movie which is based from is actually quite brilliant! Kate and her flawless taste in the arts).

Prelude... I had a bit of a hard time judging interludes overall, they are not bad, but seeing them leaving this early is perfect (Ready for Aerial Tal to snatch a spot in the top 30 though).

I hope that Lord of The Reedy River and My Lagan Love last for some time, they are up there with my favourite B-sides.

No! Misty alone needs to last for some time, one of her best compositions and Aerial has some gems too.

Aester, abael, P'NutButter and 3 others like this.
  17. No one's trusting your taste instincts after you gave Ken a 10, sis.

18. Give me 'Ken' over anything she's released this century, bar 'Lyra'.

19. This is so... depressing. Help.

I'm going to need The Fog to step soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.