This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 37 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. The two leaving today are both huge losses in my opinion, the first especially for me...

[​IMG]

Coffee Homeground 6.54

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @P'NutButter, @Karvel
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 @sfmartin

@Music Is Life - 9 Wait this is really weird too. I love that she wrote an entire song about coffee, even if I don't drink it.
    @Seventeen Days - 8 This track borders on a bit twee, but the lyrics about constant paranoia of being poisoned are rather hilarious.
    @djmakemewet - 7 The most bonkers song on the album, yet it just wouldn't be the same without Kate's OTT accent. The ending of the Tour of Life version always tickles me too!
    @lob0to - 7 Music Hall camp. It's a bit shrill but I do like it when I'm in the mood.
    @Jóga - 7 Theatrical is the word I’d use to describe it. I rather enjoyed it, especially in the context of the album.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 What kind of sub-"When I'm 64" retro pop is this supposed to be? Not very pleasing.
    @OspreyQueen - 6 Fascinating, but often for the wrong reasons. I don’t dislike it but it’s a bit too over-the-top.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 5.5 More of a parody than a song. Kate's French accent - amusing!

2. this before Don't Push Your Foot?

Karvel likes this.
  3. This is a campy masterpiece, her vocals are so extra, Powell is extra kitschy.

You did her wrong and Don't Push is a mess, I am speechless

P'NutButter likes this.
  4. Don't Push Your Foot is my second fave after Hammer Horror from that album.

5. not really a loss for me but I'm kinda shocked it exited this early

6. Thought too this would seem more of a cert to hang around a while longer. Guess you can never tell at all.

P'NutButter likes this.
  7. Some thoughts on yesterday's reveals:

Yes, you all got it right. But too many others don't care. This is quintessential Kate weirdness and deserves at least 8 points (it's my first 10 out). Some people have complained that they find Aerial too MOR and at the same time they also don't appreciate this? It's about as far away from MOR as possible and in the tradition of older Kate classics where she imitates an animal.

Yes, that's the main problem I have with it, too. The Ulysses text doesn't scan with the music properly. The main value of this version is to let us be grateful that permission to use it was refused in 1989. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the beguiling 'The Sensual World'.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  8. This next one was a surprise for me, I truly felt it deserved better...

[​IMG]

My Lagan Love 6.55

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Karvel
    Lowest score: 3 x 3 @Ana Raquel, @1991, @Aester

@Untitled - 9.5 Enchant me, forest nymph!
    @Jóga - 9 She sounds gorgeous.
    @Seventeen Days - 9 Yas we love an iconic voice. Those a capella vocals, making this one an essential.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 If 'Under the Ivy' demonstrates how arresting Kate can be with just a piano, then 'My Lagan Love' does that for Kate unaccompanied. She sounds utterly gorgeous on this song and I can't think of a better time for Kate to have captured her voice in a completely unfettered way as she does here.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8 Nice.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Okay, not quite as pretty as 'The Handsome Cabin Boy'.
    @31entrance - 5 Not a fan.

9. Gosh I love "Coffee Homeground". Amazing stuff really. Wish I was that clever when I was 19.

P'NutButter and Aester like this.
  10. Phew yes, and just like that the rate is back on track.

aux likes this.
  11. My Lagan Love is a stunning traditional itself, so lemme do some #promo of two more covers, which have the instrumentals fleshed out a bit more.

A very good one:

and the ultimate, stunning, definite, showstopping etc version

Good job Ireland.

əʊæ, P'NutButter and lob0to like this.
  12. There are many worse songs still in, but I'm not disappointed by today's reveals.

I agree with these comments and gave it a 5. It feels like a novelty song in the context of the album. Her delivery of the German lines here is charming (especially "Es schmeckt so wunderbar"), but I prefer the more sincere, goosebump-inducing ones from 1985. It's my second to least favourite track from Lionheart leaving after my least favourite song has already left, so I can't really complain.

Yes, I (slightly) prefer 'The Handsome Cabin Boy', too. Although it's a lovely performance, it doesn't have much replay value since there's not enough going on to hold my interest. A solid 6.

P'NutButter and DominoDancing like this.
  13. Gave it a 9, my joint second highest rating out of all the HOL extras. In my opinion it's far better than "The Handsome Cabin Boy" which I find rather repetitive. A haunting Irish traditional with a great vocal from Kate, it certainly does deserve better than this. Perhaps it helps to have a bit of Irish in you to really appreciate it, or maybe you're all just mental, pissed pirates who love their sea shanties. Who would know.

əʊæ, P'NutButter and djmakemewet like this.
  14. I'm pretty happy with the ouster, but am surprised a song within the Hounds of Love halo fell outside #120. If anything from the era was that early I would of suspected Not This Time or Burning Bridge.

slurmjunkie and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  15. It seems we are cut from the same cloth in regards to our appreciation of Kate's work!

slurmjunkie likes this.
  16. Hounds of Love era related track out already?? Wow!

ohnoitisnathan and abael like this.
  17. In my opinion, the Hounds Of Love halo doesn't extend to its b-sides, which aren't in the same league at all. I agree that 'Not This Time' and 'Burning Bridge' should have left before 'My Lagan Love'.

Yes, it seems so. Though it's a different artist, you were the only other voter to share my 11 in the first PSB rate, after all.

By the way, this is my album ranking (without b-sides) from highest to lowest average:

1. Hounds Of Love 9.83
    2. The Dreaming 9.5
    3. The Sensual World 8.5
    4. Aerial 8.31
    5. Never For Ever 7.64
    6. Lionheart 7.2
    7. The Kick Inside 7.15
    8. 50 Words For Snow 6.71
    9. Director’s Cut 4.55
    10. The Red Shoes 4.5

DominoDancing likes this.
  18. A later album track and a b-side will be leaving today.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  19. 'Burning Bridge' is probably the weakest Hounds of Love-era B-side for me, but it's still decent.

Not liking this lack of love for 'Not This Time'!

20. The first is probably one of Kate's most personal tracks....

[​IMG]

Bertie 6.6

Highest Score: 9 x 2 @Scoundrel_Days, @sfmartin
    Lowest score: 2.5 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@sfmartin - 9 This is just so gorgeous. A more than welcome return to form after the previous two songs. I really the like the extended pause before the chords that introduce the chorus. All in all its Loverley loverley loverley loverley.
    @31entrance - 8.5 Lovely.
    @Jóga - 8 ( love the hi-i-i-i-im. Beautiful
    @lob0to - 8 I didn't really like it at first. Now it never fails to bring a smile to my face.
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 Songs about peoples' children can be overbearing and cloying and this song really should be, yet Kate pulls it off. I think the unconventional (if predictably Kate) choice of instrumentation really helps here and in particular I love the long instrumental at the end of the track, including its somewhat abrupt end.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 I used to despise this one, but I’ve softened my stance on it now. The medieval folky feel adds a nice flavour.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Cute, but not much more.
    @confess85 - 6 Sweet but on the cheesy side. Sounds like something that you would have heard in the days of The Tudors.
    @abael - 3 Tripe
    @ohnoitisnathan - 2.5 It starts out with promise, vocally at least. But then the chorus kicks in. Writing songs about your sprog is never a great idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.