This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 38 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. There's no reason to complain. I gave it 5 points, that's still more than twice your Aerial average.

2. I have to say the eliminations are going swimmingly for me so far but I know soon enough I'll be threatening to burn this whole place to the ground! The biggest surprise being "Flower of the Mountain" leaving so early. It's classic Director's Cut where I just find myself saying Why do you exist? except it at least has a reason. Still, releasing a significantly lesser version of your own original is never a great idea and won't hold up in a discography rate. Also I'm glad we also mainly all agree that "Big Stripey Lie" and "Coffee Homeground" are amongst Kate's worst cause boy do I not like them- especially for standard album tracks!

əʊæ and Karvel like this.
  3. I also feel very conflicted about this song and settled for 5 points. I fully understand her priorities regarding her son quoted by @P'NutButter, and it was inevitable that her experience as a parent would influence her work, too. Both is fine. However, I feel she went about it the wrong way with 'Bertie'. If you start singing about your kid having the most truly fantastic smile you've ever seen and then repeatedly refer to his name, it will come off as bragging about one's offspring to a lot of people. Furthermore, it will ruin the possibility of any listener applying the feelings expressed in the lyrics to their own children or loved ones (for which the lyrics of the song's coda, "You bring me so much joy and then you bring me more joy" would be perfect). Because it'll always be about "loverly, loverly, loverly, loverly Bertie".
    Musically, I enjoy the melody of the verses and adore the way she sings that repeated line in the coda. Unfortunately, the chorus is cringeworthy. I just hope that her son wasn't bullied at school because of it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  4. I've always loved this fan remix of 'Bertie':

slurmjunkie, lob0to and P'NutButter like this.
  5. The second elimination for today is the b-side...

[​IMG]

Ran Tan Waltz 6.64

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @confess85, @ohnoitisnathan
    Lowest score: 2 x 3 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @1991, @CasuallyCrazed

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 I have found myself singing this one in the shower. Yes, really. I love that Kate not only takes on the role of a man, but that of a downtrodden husband in an unhappy marriage thrust upon him by societal demands. How many other songs have been written about that subject?
    @confess85 - 10 Love her performance of this on her Christmas special.
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 It felt like such a scandal to hear Kate sing the word 'dick' on this one. I love the stop/start feel and the fact that this is a much lighter composition than so much of its parent album provides a nice contrast.
    @Seventeen Days - 7 I like the accordion running through this one. Also, the lyrics about a man dealing with his alcoholic wife are quite an interesting story.
    @lob0to - 7 Like 'Coffee Homeground', it has it's charms.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Sounds more like an experiment than a proper song to me.

6. Coffee Homeground is a surprising elimination, to me. I assumed it was a fan favourite for some reason.

WhatKindOfKylie? and P'NutButter like this.
  7. Bertie out first for Disk 1 and Ran Tan bites the dust, It's gonna be a good day today.

8. 'Ran Tan Waltz' going before most of 'The Director's Cut'?!

əʊæ likes this.
  9. A single leaves today!

10. That version is already improved so much by ditching the original chorus and promoting the blissful coda to take that role instead.

'And So Is Love' should leave first, though.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  11. Y’all did Ran Tan Waltz dirty!

Jóga and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  12. 5964.jpg

confess85 likes this.
  13. Maybe because it's in waltz time (which I usually don't care for, with exceptions such as 'Maid Of Orleans' proving the rule) and very repetitive. After 'The Empty Bullring', this is just another middling Never For Ever b-side (6 points). But there are still many worse songs in which should have left long before the merely mediocre ones.

DominoDancing likes this.
  14. The waltz time in itself doesn't bother me. Calling it "an experiment" actually oversells it in retrospect. It's more...gimmicky. Like she had 20 seconds of that waltzy loop and forced a song out of it.

slurmjunkie likes this.
  15. NO! Love it so.

16. I actually love 'Ran Tan Waltz', especially as the story is from the perspective of a male feeling hard done by as his wife is out enjoying herself while he has to play dad indoors, whereas the A-Side 'Babooshka' is told from the perspective of a male wanting to cheat as he feels his "little lady" isn't as sexual as she once was...

Anyway, onto the next....

[​IMG]

Eat The Music 6.65

Highest Score: 10 x 3 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Hatbar, @Remorque
    Lowest score: 2 x 2 @slurmjunkie, @Jam

@DominoDancing - 9 An unusual sound for Kate. I've really come to like it, but it's a minute too long.
    @Jóga - 9 The production sucks a bit but it is such a good song. It puts me in a great mood, and that’s not an easy feat.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8 This song has a hypnotic/trance effect, just like in the video; though, again, the production qualities are... lacking. I love that guava and pomegranates made it into a song that was released as a single (in certain countries), though.
    @djmakemewet - 7 This... probably shouldn't work but I think it just about does? It feels like Kate's having a ball here and I like that she was sensible to give the chorus over to a choir of other singers as I don't think she'd have pulled it off. I really like some of the drum breaks in the 12” version too.
    @sfmartin - 7 It's fun enough, never been a favourite.
    @abael - 7 Good, good, good.
    @OspreyQueen - 6 Much like a fruit, there are parts of this I really like, and other parts I can’t stand. Maybe that’s the whole point and she was too clever for us all with this one?
    @JonBcn - 6 Probably controversial, but I’ve always skipped this track. The music sounds like the theme tune to Playschool or some ‘80s program for infants, and the lyrics make me a bit queasy…the 7” single that was pressed and then destroyed is my holy grail though, in case anyone wants to send me one of the 17 copies that still exist.
    @Seventeen Days - 4 ...what on earth is this?? Congrats to this song for officially being one of only three tracks to get less than a 5 from me. This is such a step down for her, it’s almost comically bad.

17. AWW! Eat The Music, is just quirky and fun. Shame it's gone cruelly too soon I think.

abael, ohnoitisnathan and Aester like this.
  18. Yeah, I like it too. It's light and upbeat (though it definitely does go on too long). But I came to Kate's music late, so it's hard for me to understand why The Red Shoes is so disliked by most of her fans. I do think it's a step down from the albums that preceded it, but not hugely so.

19. aux

aux

It’s an odd one. As I’ve said many times with the Red Shoes, it’s a really hit or miss album, and this is definitely a miss for me. Sometimes it works, but it’s very rarely. It feels out of place

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.