This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 44 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Thank god "Sexual Healing" is out. It was such a strange and mismatched choice of cover for her.

I do think overall we're doing Aerial a bit dirty overall so far. I love "Pi." Her mind....
    [​IMG]

2. Loving the rate so far @P'NutButter keep up the good work!

3. Kate Bush covering Sexual Healing, shows how diverse she really can be.

4. Fullhouse out already...

[​IMG]

The song that contains the genius lyric:
    "I am my enemy
    Mowing me over
    And towing the light away"....

[​IMG]

5. I mean.. I was pretty savage in my scoring of the B-Sides, though there's always someone who's given them maybe a 0.5 less which is why I haven't always featured as a low scorer.

With that said, you gave Ken a 10 so.. yeah.

6. I think you have a point there.

7. Like I mentioned the Lionheart album gets a hit now...

[​IMG]

Oh England My Lionheart 6.84

Highest Score: 9.5 x 1 @djmakemewet
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @WhatKindOfKylie?

@djmakemewet - 9.5 Another one that I've gained an appreciation for over time. It's a shame that Kate herself doesn't seem to be too keen on this one as I think it's gorgeous. I love the use of harpsichord and recorders on it too.
    @lob0to 9 - I'm not even English and I love this.
    @Music Is Life - 9 Another gorgeous ballad from this woman. I love the lyrics, she really knows how to tell a story.
    @DominoDancing - 8 Very pretty melody, also like the slightly medieval elements in the arrangement.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 6.5 I like the harpsichord.
    @Remorque - 6.5 Although I've never really cared for this one on its own, I do appreciate its placing on the album and what she was going for. The girl had a fucking knack for setting an ambiance.
    @OspreyQueen - 6 It’s pretty but goes absolutely nowhere.
    @Jóga - 6 I wish I liked it more but these vocals are too much to my taste. When she harmonizes it drives me crazy.
    @Seventeen Days - 5 This one is a bit… schmaltzy for Kate. I can kind of see why she doesn’t like it anymore.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  8. Uhh, I hate to point this out but I think you’ve accidentally put my score and commentary for Heartbrake in with this one, hence why I’m in the commentary section twice.

Karvel, P'NutButter, əʊæ and 3 others like this.
  9. Never been a fan of this boring song either, so I don't know how Kate could have transformed it into a worthwhile listen for me. It's a typical cover version from Kate Bush's MOR era from 1991 to 1994. I gave it 2 points.

That explains my confusion regarding your comment "I adore the contrast of the almost eerie verses to the big thumping chorus."
    I agree with your grade for 'Oh England My Lionheart':
    Yes, the chorus is too schmaltzy (see also: 'Strange Phenomena'), the way the occasional ABBA ballad is.

10. Huh, I always considered OEML one of the better songs on Lionheart. Also, about time for Sexual Healing, another poor cover by Kate. I thought I said why in my comments @P'NutButter ? I think the pacing of the rate is just fine, by the way.

P'NutButter likes this.
  11. The scoring and everything was done before I did the collecting together of commentary etc, so just excuse my fuck-ups it happens a couple of times in every rate I've hosted. xx

12. Not one of the better songs on Lionheart to be honest for me. It does feel just quite sappy and really old fashioned-even for 1978.

slurmjunkie and əʊæ like this.
  13. Today's two are probably not that significant to this rate, but I'm sure some will miss them...

[​IMG]

Never Be Mine (Director's Cut) 6.87

Highest Score: 10 x 3 @djmakemewet, @JonBcn, @CasuallyCrazed
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @AGiantSheep

@djmakemewet - 10 The midsection of this album is beautiful, but really depressing. The pulsing effect throughout this version really makes it feel like Kate is dwelling on the heartbreak of the person she cannot have and the reworked chorus and extended song make this even more of a punch to the gut.
    @sfmartin - 8 I never really rated this song until I heard this version, but now I really enjoy both versions. She puts the emphasis where it needs to be in this version, the message and the vulnerability comes across very well. Could have easily cut a minute though.
    @nametag - 7 This would be a contender for beating the original if it wasn’t for the completely altered melody in the chorus.
    @DominoDancing - 5.5 Way to ruin a good song. What's going on with that chorus? No.
    @OspreyQueen - 5 Another reworking that removes most of the stuff I love about the original. Without the unique Eastern vibes this is just straight up boring.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 3 Not very good.

14. I wonder if only die hard fans have much love for the Director's Cut?

P'NutButter likes this.
  15. Die-hard fans who like everything she releases.

16. *raises hand*

But then I have admitted to disliking a couple of songs.
    [​IMG]

17. I guess it's the same type of thing as The Abbey Road Sessions for Kylie. I loved and adored it at the time, but now I only have 6 of the versions on my music library and only ever go back it as a whole album in the cold months.

18. Speaking of tracks I dislike...

[​IMG]

I'm Still Waiting 6.9

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan
    Lowest Score: 4 x 3 @1991, @Itty Bitty Piggy, @Wild Man.

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 I saw someone (I think the rate host) give this a poor score/comment. Huh? I like it lots and think it's better than several tracks that made The Sensual World.
    @Jóga - 8 Could’ve been an album track.
    @31entrance - 8 OK I’m kinda digging this..
    @djmakemewet - 6.5 This is one of those Kate songs that I waited a long time to hear – having been a fan from the age of about 8, it wasn't until my 18th birthday that I received my This Woman's Work boxset and could listen to this song. Sadly, it wasn't worth the wait as this is another meandering one where Kate seems to try to compensate for a lack of ideas by using her voice more. It's kind of fun how the rhythm track sounds like Janet Jackson's Miss You Much, though.
    @DominoDancing - 6 Hmm, a bit vacuous.
    @Seventeen Days - 6 Kate sounds… I guess, a bit bored on this? Also, holy gated drums.

19. I actually forgot what it sounds like ddd

20. Perfect
    [​IMG]

aux likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.