This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 48 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. It's a 6, I just wrote out their score for the song that comes before this one on the album.

Anyway, the second one for today is the fan favourite, at least on here it seemed to be?...

[​IMG]

Ne T'enfuis Pas 7.03

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @djmakemewet, @Remorque
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @WhatKindOfKylie?

@djmakemewet - 10 This song is all about the atmosphere for me – the percussion that strikes like heavy rain hitting the rooftops, the loping bassline that recalls the cat she compares herself to and a very similar synth sound to 'Lord of the Reedy River'. The lift in the chorus is also sublime. The yearning in the song translates even for non-(or poor, at least in my case) French speakers through Kate's vocals.
    @Untitled - 9.5 Never fails to give me the sense that something awful's about to happen.
    @Jóga - 8 I find it so random yet so good that she recorded in French.
    @Seventeen Days - 8 The moody feel of this, and the French lyrics. Yep, this one is absolutely gorgeous.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8. I don't speak French, but like this.
    @DominoDancing - 7 Perhaps it works better if you speak French?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. OK, if 3 is the lowest score now, then it should be 3 x 4 as I also gave it a 3.

P'NutButter likes this.
  3. Hurrah! No big loss for me.

4. Ugh, Ne T'Enfuis Pas was so close to being my 11 so this is a disappointment.

Karvel, slurmjunkie, lob0to and 2 others like this.
  5. Two earlier career tracks leave today.

6. This first track to leave is from The Kick Inside, quite an underrated track in my opinion...

[​IMG]

L'Amour Looks Something Like You 7.04

Highest Score: 10 x 3 @Trouble in Paradise, @confess85, @Karvel
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @slurmjunkie

@djmakemewet - 9.5 This is one of the more straight-ahead songs on the album, but I do love it. I've always really liked the line “You looked like an angel, sleeping it off at a station” and was pleased to see that line quoted on the artwork of the recent remaster.
    @Music Is Life - 8.5 This was nice enough I guess. I really like the way the production builds in this. The drums are a highlight as well.
    @DominoDancing - 7 Like Kate's vocal performance here, but the song itself is just okay.
    @Seventeen Days - 6.5 This song leans a bit heavily on sounding like a Pink Floyd track, which I suppose isn’t remotely surprising given her connection to David Gilmour. But otherwise… great vocals, beautiful vocals.
    @Remorque - 6 Don't get me wrong as this song is quite enjoyable and my six points can be a bit misleading, but this song has never ever stayed on my mind in about the two decades I've been listening to it. There's something missing, but I just can't quite put my finger on what. Double entendres ahoy, though.
    @Jóga - 5 Very average to this ears. A bit plodding, even.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 5 Has that 70s piano bar sound again.

7. Yes, I also gave it an 8. As a mood piece, this is slightly more successful than 'Lord Of The Reedy River', which was eerier but more repetitive.

Though it's not one of the best songs for me, I can understand your disappointment. It deserved a higher spot, I have 26 songs with lower scores.

P'NutButter and djmakemewet like this.
  8. I knew this would be done so wrong but I’m glad she squealed into the Top 100! Her vocals are impeccable and I love the story the lyrics paint

Music Is Life, 1991, lob0to and 3 others like this.
  9. I beg to differ. This is the weakest song she released in 1978 by far and I'm glad it's finally out.

Maybe a memorable tune would have helped. The songwriting here is unusually lazy for Kate's standards.

I completely agree. In contrast to @DominoDancing, I find the vocal performance makes this worse: when searching in vain for a tune, her higher voice gets really irritating. It's the opposite to 'Wuthering Heights' really, where she can sing so many great melodies.

She should have put 'Passing Through Air' on the album instead.

Jóga, P'NutButter and DominoDancing like this.
  10. A solid early vocal from Kate on this.

P'NutButter likes this.
  11. Just wanted to say the cover for the last track was inspired by the idea of Kate (for this song) being a movie starlet back in the day and signing her picture for the fans with the little message "L'amour looks something like you".

The second of today's exits is from another early album...

[​IMG]

Kashka From Baghdad 7.05

Highest Score: 9.5 x 1 @Wild Man.
    Lowest Score: 2 x 2
    @WhatKindOfKylie?, @CasuallyCrazed

@Music Is Life - 9 This is probably the weirdest song on the album, and I really like. There's different flourishes in the music, I'm not sure what they are but they're great.
    @Seventeen Days - 8.5 Hard to believe Kate was doing a song about the gays keeping it on the DL all the way back in 1978. Kate threw the first brick at Stonewall.
    @31entrance - 8 The og LGBT anthem.
    @DominoDancing - 8 Love this. Would love it even more if the switch to the chorus wasn't so clumsy.
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 I love that after she was told she couldn't perform 'In the Warm Room' on Ask Aspel as it was too risqué, Kate decided to sing a song about a gay couple forced to live out their lives in secret instead. It's interesting just how much Lionheart explores homosexuality, particularly from the male perspective. Queen of knowing her audience from an early age!
    @Jóga - 6.5 More interesting than most of the album tracks here. Still not quite as good as most of the debut.
    @Remorque - 5.5 Though I love the subject of a gay couple having to keep their relationship a secret and Kate being one of the neighbours that talks behind their back while being incredibly interested in what goes on behind closed curtains, it's always failed to make a lasting impact on me. That chorus is grating as fuck and she sounds awful on it. Though during the verses she does sound gorgeous though...
    @ohnoitisnathan - 4 Competent singing, piano playing, interesting theme for a song given it was the 70s. But there's not much of a song in there, and I just don't have the desire to listen to this more than... once a decade.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  12. Yeah I think the beautiful premise of the song is outweighed by the poor execution by a LOT

Aester and OspreyQueen like this.
  13. Ouch...despite this not being my highest score to leave so far, it's the first one that hurts a bit.

14. @P’NutButter I gave Kashka from Baghdad a 9.5.

What an incredible song.

15. Losing two 10’s back to back was not expected

16. Yeah, we're losing early tracks I would rather last a little longer than these have, there are definitely worse to choose from on these albums.

Trouble in Paradise and lob0to like this.
  17. Y'all hate on 'L'Amour Looks Something Like You'... but still give it a score of 5-7?!

18. Today two newer tracks are booted.

19. Yay!

abael likes this.
  20. Here we go...

[​IMG]

Lake Tahoe 7.08

Highest Score: 10 x 4 @Ed72, @Music Is Life, @JonBcn, @lob0to
    Lowest Score: 0.5 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@JonBcn - 10 One of my favourite ever lines is the vignette introducing us to the dog in the song:
    “The dog is sleeping / his legs are frail now / but when he dreams … he runs…”. As the owner of a very old dog who struggles to walk, I think of this line every time I watch her sleep…
    @sfmartin - 9 Heartbreaking. Perfectly creates a desolate and ghostly atmosphere. The depiction of devotion to a dog...phew. Marley and me found rotting. Its quite and emotional journey. "Here's the bedroom, you're not allowed in there" always sends me.
    @djmakemewet - 9 More high male voices introduce this song, before leading into Kate's vocal. The story of the dog dreaming of its owner reminds me of that heartbreaking episode of Futurama, but that aside I love this song. The moment where she calls “Snowflake” is very well done, but my favourite moment is where the piano cuts away to a sigh from Kate. This was actually done to mask a mistake in Kate's playing, but it really adds to the mood.
    @OspreyQueen - 5 Somehow this track sounds sillier than the one about having sex with a snowman. I can’t take those last few verses of the woman talking to the dog seriously, they sound so out of place. Other than that, it’s decent dinner party music but too slow-paced for me to pay much attention to it.
    @31entrance - 5 I’m sorry but is every song in this album long? because my attention span cannot handle more than 6-7 minutes when it comes to songs.
    @DominoDancing - 5 There's a certain pleasantness going on here, but I find absolutely nothing about this song memorable. Some simple piano tinkering that goes on forever. "Shrug".
    @abael - 3 Dog comes home. 11:08.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 0.5 Commenting as I'm listening to this for the first time. It sounds like this one is going to be a chore to get through... The group of singers sounds like a poor man's Trio Bulgarka. Seven minutes later - think I'm gonna have to press skip on this one. I skipped forward to 11 minutes. The pace picks up a bit, but it's WAY too long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.