This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 50 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. A bold talent that's for sure.

2. Speaking of which, will there be a run down of what's left from each album at some point, @P'NutButter? Would be great to see what's still left.

3. That would be great I think too. I am trying to think which is the album that has the most remaining songs left. But it's not easy!

4. That would be Hounds Of Love with all of its twelve tracks. The Dreaming hasn't lost a song yet either, but it only consists of ten tracks. Because it's a double album, Aerial still has eleven songs left even though it has already lost five.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  5. I'll chuck a graphic together soon!

6. Your tastes when it comes to Kate need.... adjustment.

attitude.ezgif.com-optimize.gif

7. Here's the exit I was meant to post yesterday...

[​IMG]

You're The One 7.11

Highest Score: 10 x 4 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @JonBcn, @abael, @Wild Man.
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @slurmjunkie

@abael - 10 I'm surprised how much I love this, lyrically it just popped for me.
    @JonBcn - 10 Home of my favourite mis-heard lyric ever (I still can’t help singing “It’s alright I’ll come round when you’re not in / and I’ll pick off all my skin…”), this is probably the cheesiest ballad she ever wrote but everyone can relate to this song.
    @OspreyQueen - 9.5 While The Red Shoes is a bit of a uhh, bumpy ride, this is a fantastic closing track. The lack of subtlety in the lyrics is really refreshing, and they really hit home even on the first listen.
    @djmakemewet - 9 It's still a little startling to hear Kate sing lyrics as direct as these. The simplicity of the chorus really helps to make this one though and while I've seen some criticism of this song's length I think it really needed to be this funereal and dragged out to fully capture the sense of heartbreak, particularly with that long outro. It hardly needs saying at this point, but the Trio Bulgarka nail this one too.
    @Seventeen Days - 9 The feels are real on this one. This is gorgeous, and quite sad to hear Kate singing about the end of her relationship. It has kind of a bluesy vibe doesn’t it?
    @Jóga - 8 This picks up the interest a bit, luckily, after three lackluster tracks. It’s quite subtle and sad, isn’t it?
    @The Hot Rock - 7 It's sweet and cute but not up to the standard of her other closers.
    @nametag - 6 There's something a bit too 80s-holding-up-the-lighters about this one.
    @sfmartin - 4 Painfully average ballad that does nothing worthy of note and drags on way too long.
    @DominoDancing - 3 Weak. Such a chore to sit through. If it wasn't for some of the background vocals, you'd barely be able to identify this as a Kate track, it's so boring. And more wanky guitar. No.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 3 Not very good.

(Del Palmer talks here...)

8. Ugh, a great falls. It is very accessible, so it's days were always numbered in a Kate Bush rate.

Trouble in Paradise and əʊæ like this.
  9. You're The One, is truly an underrated Kate masterpiece for me.

əʊæ likes this.
  10. I think most would agree it's your taste that needs readjusting, sis. Continue to stan for flops like Ken and be quiet.
    [​IMG]

11. I believe some have been waiting for this next one?...

...or at least @slurmjunkie wants it gone

[​IMG]

Strange Phenomena 7.14

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @Music Is Life, @ohnoitisnathan
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @WhatKindOfKylie?

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Great song and and an interesting theme to write a song about.
    @Music Is Life - 10 I love the lyrics to this, and the production pairs perfectly with her vocals. I especially love the piano throughout the song.
    @Remorque - 9 A lovely ode to menstruation. Gosh, the woman can make anything sound remotely beautiful.
    @DominoDancing - 8 Strong chorus.
    @confess85 - 9 I love the spooky feel of this one.
    @Seventeen Days - 8 The rippling synth treatments under Kate’s vocals on the verses immediately caught my attention on this one. I really love how almost every track on this album sounds like it was made with an imaginary soap opera in mind.
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 one of the things I've always appreciated about the songs on this album in particular is how the verses and choruses often shift through different styles and moods and this is a great example – slightly ominous verses, a more celebratory chorus and then the more zen post chorus. Not factored into my score here, but I also love the extended outro on the full live version.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 Never been one of my favourites, but I still enjoy it. I especially love the eerie ending with that haunting piano riff and the Gregorian chants(?) rounding off the song.
    @sfmartin - 7 So very Bowie. A fine song but not a stand out for me.
    @Jóga - 5 I can’t help but being a bit bored. As usual in the album I find the vocals annoying at times.

12. Yes, it has a bluesy vibe and not much else. Unfortunately, Kate descended into MOR hell with this pedestrian fare (see also 'And So Is Love') full of stale guitar and hammond organ contributions. I find it bizarre that she relied on the likes of Jeff Beck, Gary Brooker and Eric Clapton, as if she suddenly craved recognition from their fanbase by suddenly playing so-called mature and respectable material (instead of batshit crazy stuff some ridiculed her for). It's a shame that she lost all her magic and originality in doing so. And the inclusion of the Trio Bulgarka was way past its sell-by date by then. What had been a welcome and unusual addition on most of The Sensual World contributions turned into a grating and predictable ingredient. The 2 points I gave are for the first 43 seconds, which are really promising.

Yes, today is my lucky day. First 'You're The One' and now the last remaining subpar song from The Kick Inside. I actually really like the bridge, where she suddenly sings in a much deeper voice. It's ruined by the chorus, though, which is another rare kitschfest that reminds me of the schlager genre ABBA were also prone to delve into once in a while. I do like the "more zen post chorus" @djmakemewet mentioned, but it's not enough for me to give it more than a 4.

DominoDancing, lob0to and P'NutButter like this.
  13. I had no idea 'Strange Phenomena' was a single anywhere.

14. Yeah, it was time for Strange Phenomena to go I think.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  15. Same here. It had a good run anyway.

abael likes this.
  16. Suddenly I'm team @ohnoitisnathan. Strange Phenomena should've outlasted all but one 21st century songs.

17. I'm personally very happy with what is leaving today...

18. So the first for this week, and I'm so thrilled to be booting it out...

[​IMG]

Constellation Of The Heart 7.18

Highest Score: 10 x 5 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @sfmartin, @Ana Raquel, @AGiantSheep, @Remorque
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @Jam

@sfmartin - 10 I've heard some criticism of this track on the thread and I'm surprised. Yes it sounds a bit dated production wise but its just so fun. There are wonderful moments peppered throughout the song. Back and forth conversations, little nuggets of other songs. Like a victory lap. Very easy to sing along to.
    @Seventeen Days - 9 I don’t care how dated and 90s this sounds. it is a bop and I quite enjoy it.
    @confess85 - 9 I especially love the part in the song when Kate is arguing with herself “I want a full report… that’s it…. What do you mean that’s it?……” etc
    @31entrance - 9 I don’t care what anyone says this is a MAJOR bop!
    @djmakemewet - 8 Hot take alert, but the latter part of The Red Shoes contains some of my favourites. I think perhaps because I was young when I got into Kate's music, and The Red Shoes was one of the first albums I listened to of hers, I gravitated towards the poppier songs and bops and in these particular cases my nostalgia goggles allow me to see past the obviously dated production.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 This one’s totally getting kicked out in the first few eliminations. I see why people aren’t keen (I mean, the vocal mastering is horrendous even on the remastered versions), but I think it has a certain je ne sais quoi. I like the idea of “turning a telescope inside out” and examining our own emotions, given that there’s just as many mysteries about how our own bodies and minds work as there are about outer space.
    @DominoDancing - 8 Messy structure that I utterly love.
    @abael - 7 I like it, but I'm surprised by how mainstream this sounds.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 7 I know this isn't a fan fave, but, mediocre production aside, I don't think it's that bad.
    @Jóga - 5 Boring. Gets a point for weird screaming.
    @The Hot Rock - 4 I've felt this way with the full album but this song just really beats me over the head with the fact that I can't believe it released in 1993. It doesn't sound that way at all.

19. I thought this left ddddd, how the fuck did it survive so long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.