This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 51 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Hounds Of Love

58 vote(s)
    54.2%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. (Just being alive, it can really hurt)

2. I didn't vote as time got the better of me however very interested in how this all plays out. I really love Constellation of the Heart, I know it's a bit of a sonic departure for Kate but I just love the imagery of it.

sfmartin likes this.
  3. Boo, Constellation of the Heart is great. The back and forth between Cap'n Kate and her useless crew is amazing.

4. Here here! This one will never be anything less than fabulous for me!

5. Another Hounds Of Love era track now...

[​IMG]

Burning Bridge 7.19

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @sfmartin, @Ana Raquel
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @abael

@sfmartin - 10 The fact the extras are still so good is testament to how exceptional the main album is. It totally doesn't belong on the album though. I love her waily and whiny vocals in this for some reason it compliments the chorus chant well. Euphoric ramblings of a musical pioneer.
    @djmakemewet - 8 This song relates back to the same themes of communication and understanding that are present in 'Running Up That Hill', but it seems to build to something glorious and celebratory in much the same way that 'Cloudbusting' does. Another Kate song to make strong use of the rhythm track – shame that the recent remastered version chops off 30 seconds or so, though.
    @31entrance - 8 this is nice.
    @Seventeen Days - 8 The upbeat vocals and that constant marching drum beat, what a combo. It almost feels like the sonic twin of 'The Big Sky', but with just enough difference to be it's own kind of good.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 I guess Kate wanted to reuse the 'Running Up That Hill' drumbeat for something lighter/more "fun".
    @OspreyQueen - 7 It’s not a particularly notable song, but fuck me does that “diddy diddy dum dum” hook get stuck in your head.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 7 Not really a fave, but it's OK.

6. Boo Constellations of the Heart, Yay Burning Bridges.
    Ratings Update:
    - I've lost 1/3 of my >8 tracks.
    - I've got more <4 songs still in the rate than out of it.

This rate has definitely been fun, but this isn't how I hoped the bottom ~60 would go.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    P'NutButter likes this.
  7. We agree on this.

About 20 songs that are better than it left before it.

Trouble in Paradise, 1991 and lob0to like this.
  8. I don't like it, because I'm surprised by how mainstream this sounds.

4 - Boring. Gets a point deducted for hoarse screaming.

Her screaming was much better on 'The Big Sky'. Referencing much better tracks of her own just emphasises how much weaker this song is. I don't like Kate doing R&B, I don't like her doing contemporary R&B (with a focus on funk here) either. It feels derivative and out of place. She completely lost track of what makes her music so special on most of The Red Shoes. She should have released a very good four-track EP instead.

Yes, that hook is very catchy. It's a shame then that the track suffers from her frequent wailing (for example at 1:54 and 2:07), which sounds like she has serious stomach cramps. The rhythm of the coda is great, though. 5 points.

Jóga and P'NutButter like this.
  9. (Once again) the more recent material takes a battering today.

10. Here we go...

[​IMG]

This Woman's Work (Director's Cut) 7.2

Highest Score: 10 x 5 @Ed72, @JonBcn, @OspreyQueen, @Karvel, @CasuallyCrazed
    Lowest Score: 2 x 2 @Ana Raquel, @Jóga

@JonBcn - 10 Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but I prefer TDC versions of both this and MOP. Obviously, the originals are absolutely essential, incredible tracks, but I find both of these easier on the ear, taking away a bit of the shrillness of the originals. Crucially, these two tracks are two that you can only fully enjoy if you already know the originals.
    @OspreyQueen - 10 THIS is what I wish all of Director’s Cut was: alternative versions of songs that are different enough to stand out in their own right but still compliment the original perfectly. The minimal instrumental with the angelic choir is an equally perfect setting for the lyrics as its predecessor.
    @djmakemewet - 9 I love what Kate does here. While it doesn't top the original for me, the more weary vocal, the glacial electronic backing and Bertie's beautiful high vocals make this something very special, especially when it feels like everything is going to get too much, only to cut out as Kate sings “make it go away”. I also love the way the song seems to basically collapse on itself at the end. This is how you do a reinterpretation.
    @abael - 9 One that has gotten better the second time around.
    @The Hot Rock - 8 One of the only songs on Director's Cut that isn't vastly inferior to the original version. It isn't as good but it's closer than any of the rest.
    @sfmartin - 8 There's a lot to enjoy about this version. This is definitely among the more successful reinterpretations. So much more intimate and delicate. Sparse but beautiful twinkly celestial production. It does drag a bit, but the crescendo where it slowly builds with the heavenly choir in the background and on "make it go away" everything drops away is a stunning moment.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 I find the vocals here a lot weaker than on the original. I also have no clue why this had to nearly double in length.
    @31entrance - 6.5 Nothing beats the original imo but this is not bad.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 5 It starts out alright, but then it... drags... on.... too.... much and is way too slow.
    @Jóga - 2 Updating the vocals to fit Kate’s current range is great, but as a reworking it is quite shit.

11. I agree with your comments and gave it a 4.

So 'Lily' is the last song left from that album, which is fine as it's my joint highest scoring track from it.

I can't believe 'And So Is Love' and 'The Song Of Solomon' are still in. I also have one 4, three 5s and three 6s left. All the other songs deserve at least a 7.

P'NutButter and DominoDancing like this.
  12. Some songs you can't remake I think. This Woman's Work is one of them.

13. and the second one for today...

[​IMG]

Snowflake 7.23

Highest Score: 10 x 6 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Hatbar, @sfmartin, @Ed72, @slurmjunkie, @JonBcn
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @abael

@sfmartin - 10 I love how cyclical the rhythm is on this with the repetition of the same piano riff. Tracing the pattern of a snowflake floating to the ground. Bertie's vocals are beautiful and fragile in the falsetto. They compliment Kate's richer and warmer tones. It creates the perfect wintery atmosphere at the beginning of the album. It conjours up so many feelings. A deep motherly love with the fear of loss. A powerful and impressive combination. I do think she could have shaved the outro of a few of the "the world is so loud" bits but it's still a 10 and just adds to the experience I guess.
    @lob0to - 9 Gorgeous. Does go on a bit but gorgeous none the less.
    @djmakemewet - 7 Those opening piano notes instantly conjure a cold winter's day and I love the gentle drums against the low, percussive piano riff which together sound like a mounting snowdrift. This is really a showcase for Bertie, but the combination of his high voice and Kate's low voice is really quite beautiful. Unlike the other songs on this album, I do feel that this outstays its welcome.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 This quite beautifully captures the mood of starring out of your office window into a snowy landscape. I actually love to have this on during work on days like that. But it's far too mellow and repetitive for me to actively listen to for 10 damn minutes.
    @31entrance - 5 Too long.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 4.5 I like the piano; it's Tori-esque. I assume that's Bertie on the 'alter boy' segments of the track. It's not really much of a 'song' - it drags on too long.
    @OspreyQueen - 4 WAY too simple and repetitive to justify being almost 10 minutes long.
    @abael - 3 Background music, actively listening to it is vaguely irritating.

14. No! This masterpiece is my favourite song and only 10 on 50 Words For Snow.

15. Both of these recent eliminations are so gorgeous, so atmospheric.

16. I actually gave something on '50 Words For Snow' a 4.5?!

P'NutButter, Phonetics Boy and abael like this.
  17. Yay! Now do Wild Man in and we'll be back on track.

18. Snowflake is stunning! Easily a modern day Kate classic for me.

slurmjunkie, sfmartin, Aester and 2 others like this.
  19. Snowflake is the first song I am really sad to see go, its so beautiful and full of haunting atmosphere and imagery. I love the bit about horses wading through snowdrifts and the ripple of drums that go with it. I always give this a few spins on Christmas Eve and wish that it will be a White Christmas (never is though!)

slurmjunkie, sfmartin, Aester and 3 others like this.
  20. I think this festive season, shall most certainly going back to this one in particular too.

P'NutButter likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.