This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 52 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Quite a big deal for one song today. Plus a rundown of the remaining tracks will be posted this evening!

2. Thanks for this, it can be quite hard to keep track of everything hehe.

3. Wuthering Heights (New Vocal)?

4. Or is it

Lily, thus seeing the end of Director's Cut?

5. Looking forward saying a complete goodbye to The Director's Cut!

Phonetics Boy and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  6. Ready?

[​IMG]

Lily (Director's Cut) 7.24

Highest Score: 10 x 3 @P'NutButter, @aux, @Ed72
    Lowest Score: 1 x 1 @WhatKindOfKylie?

@DominoDancing - 9.5 Nearly as good as on The Red Shoes. But the "uh...uh..."s on the chorus have more oomph in the original version.
    @djmakemewet - 9 I love the beefed up production on this version, although the Before the Dawn version still has this version beat. This is absolutely an improvement, though the effects on “veil of darkness” is really cringe.
    @nametag - 9 This is probably the only DC song I MIGHT prefer to the original - but it’d be fairer to say I just didn’t pay attention to the song at all before DC came out. Now I love both versions pretty much the same, but I’m giving this a point more because hearing her deliver those vocals in 2014 was such a joy.
    @sfmartin - 8 The only song on the album that is better than the original. A lot more bite and conviction.
    @lob0to - 8 Beefed up and with a tamed high end. Another improvement.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 7 My first impression is that I don't like the notable change in instrumentation on this compared to the original, but it's growing on me. Vocally, it's OK.
    @OspreyQueen - 6 The original is already perfect to me, so any reworking is already on shaky ground. But man, this one just removes everything I love about the original. Most of the impact from the chorus is gone, Kate’s new vocals don’t feel anywhere near emotive enough besides those awfully hammy ad-libs, and it the reworking overall just loses its magic with the lowered key.
    @Jóga - 6 I feel like the instrumental is more dynamic here, but the vocals are much better on the original.

7. aux

aux

This to me, is the definitive version of Lily. @WhatKindOfKylie? sis, explain yourself on the 1.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  8. I just don't like it! Not to my tastes at all. Sorry.

Phonetics Boy likes this.
  9. This is the only Director's Cut track I didn't rate lower than the original version. I gave this an 8, mainly for the absolutely brilliant bridge. I'm not a fan of the chorus, though. And I agree with @OspreyQueen about the "awfully hammy ad-libs".

OspreyQueen likes this.
  10. The Director's Cut losing all its tracks when there is still 84 songs to go, could well be a rate record.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  11. To me that's not surprising since it's basically a superfluous cover album which mostly includes songs from her weakest original album.

12. Her best original album for me!

13. [​IMG]

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  14. Truth has been spoken!

berserkboi and djmakemewet like this.
  15. The second one, before I reveal what's remaining in the rate...

[​IMG]

Walk Straight Down The Middle 7.25

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @OspreyQueen, @DominoDancing
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @Wild Man.

@DominoDancing - 10 No idea how this was not on the original tracklist. The chorus is one of the best on the whole album.
    @OspreyQueen - 10 I genuinely think this song is a better closer to The Sensual World than This Woman’s Work is. It’s one of those songs that just fills me with confidence and determination, and it ends the album on such a positive and affirming note. It’s phenomenal.
    @sfmartin - 8 I really enjoy this. I like the dramatic chorus even with the clunky lyrics.
    @Seventeen Days - 7 This couldn’t be more late 80s if Kate threw in some generous orchestral hits (hello again, The Dreaming). The tongue trilling is a bit cheesy, but I do like the vibe on this.
    @djmakemewet - 7 this is another of those songs that just meanders a bit for me, but it is lifted by the more subdued vocal style and those bird-like trills (?) that she does towards the end. At this point in Kate's career, there were few songs that sound like B-sides in that pejorative sense, but this one does.
    @Jóga - 6 ‘’Neat’’ - Kevin Costner.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 6 I find something really depressing about this song, even though, aurally, it's decent enough (but not spectacular). Those trills at the end are cool, though.

16. Y'all did this one so wrong. I even almost gave it my 11. It contains some of my favourite Kate lyrics ever.

17. [​IMG]

Moving
    The Saxophone Song
    Kite
    The Man With The Child In His Eyes
    Wuthering Heights
    James And The Cold Gun
    Oh To Be In Love
    Them Heavy People
    Room For The Life
    The Kick Inside

Symphony In Blue
    In Search Of Peter Pan
    Wow
    Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake
    Hammer Horror

Babooshka
    Delius (Song Of Summer)
    Blowaway
    All We Ever Look For
    The Wedding List
    The Infant Kiss
    Army Dreamers
    Breathing

December Will Be Magic Again

Sat In Your Lap
    There Goes A Tenner
    Pull Out The Pin
    Suspended In Gaffa
    Leave It Open
    The Dreaming
    Night Of The Swallow
    All The Love
    Houdini
    Get Out Of My House

Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
    Hounds Of Love
    The Big Sky
    Mother Stands For Comfort
    Cloudbusting
    And Dream Of Sheep
    Under Ice
    Waking The Witch
    Watching You Without Me
    Jig Of Life
    Hello Earth
    The Morning Fog

Under The Ivy

Don't Give Up (With Peter Gabriel)

Experiment IV

The Sensual World
    Love and Anger
    The Fog
    Reaching Out
    Heads We're Dancing
    Deeper Understanding
    Never Be Mine
    Rocket's Tail
    This Woman's Work

Be Kind To My Mistakes

Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long Time)

Rubberband Girl
    And So Is Love
    Moments Of Pleasure
    The Song Of Solomon
    Lily
    The Red Shoes
    Top Of The City

King Of The Mountain

Mrs. Bartolozzi
    How To Be Invisible
    Joanni
    A Coral Room

Prologue
    An Architect's Dream
    Sunset
    Somewhere In Between
    Nocturn
    Aerial

Misty
    Wild Man
    Among Angels

Wuthering Heights (New Vocal)
    Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) (2012 Remix)

18. What's going on here? This is one of the highlights from The Sensual World era. The chorus is indeed one of the best and sung with passion. The only negative thing I can find here is that Kate goes a bit overboard with her astounding Stevie Nicks impersonation, which is why I had to deduct one point.

Maybe this track is too experimental for the majority of the forum? As the mistreatment of 'Aerial Tal' showed, Kate's animal impersonations don't fare well here either. Then again, all of The Dreaming including 'Get Out Of My House' with its donkey imitation is still in the running.

At least 'Be Kind To My Mistakes' (the best of her B-sides from this and any other era) is still standing.

19. I'm relatively happy with everything that has left so far. No huge surprises, nor anything I'm gutted about. Good to see most of the B-Sides have departed.

My picks to leave next would be;
    * Running Up That Hill (2012 Remix)
    * The Fog
    * An Architect's Dream
    * The Song of Solomon
    * All We Ever Look For
    * Be Kind To My Mistakes
    * In Search of Peter Pan
    * Reaching Out
    * Pull Out The Pin
    * Blow Away

20. I'd only pick 'The Song of Solomon' from that list. Though I wouldn't cry if 'Blow Away' and some of the others left prematurely. However, you included three of her very best songs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.