This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 53 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Hounds Of Love

58 vote(s)
    54.2%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. I love that the 'The Dreaming' album is untouched - as it should be.

Those remaining 'Aerial' and '50 Words For Snow' tracks need to exit.gif

2. It was more than time for Walk S Down The Middle, worst on the album. I'm so off base though when it comes to this rate. I Mean, after 50WFS, Dreaming is my lowest rated album...

3. Can I just say, the pictures and graphics in this rate have been incredible.

4. Thank you!!!

A hint for today, is that the two leaving were both performed on The Tour Of life.

5. @P'NutButter I think you've left 'Egypt' off that songs remaining graphic.

Unless that was a clue.

6. Depressing how Rocket Man is still in while more memorable b-sides are crashing out. Though, off the top of my head I recall only 50 songs we have left so I could be saying the same thing about plenty others, I suppose.

And yes, I did cream myself at the graphics more than once. Stunning artwork!

7. This rate has been rather harsh on the B-sides. I'm guessing partly because many haven't been familiar with them for long before rating, so they haven't had time to sink in. While some of the B-sides left are... choices, like 'Experiment IV' (decent song hampered by mundane production). We have also been very kind to 'Be Kind To My Mistakes', which is good, but only really half a song and not better than many B-sides that have left (and I gave it a 10... ddd).

8. Even before seeing your post, I had a feeling it could go based on the Tour of Life clue.

I was about to correct you that it crashed out ages ago only to learn that no, it's actually still around!

slurmjunkie likes this.

9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Egypt 7.26

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @Music Is Life, @ohnoitisnathan
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @CasuallyCrazed

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Haunting.
    @OspreyQueen - 9.5 A fascinating song with some staggering world-building. I adore songs that practically take you out of the real world to immerse you in the music.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 This is an odd one. I genuinely can't tell if I prefer the more moody album version or the more boppy Tour of Life version. The build in this version is fantastic though and once again I get Fleetwood Mac vibes in the guitar sounds on the outro. I also love how freely Kate plays with her voice.

@Jóga - 8 I particularly love from the second minute mark on.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Nice mood, but could have used a proper chorus. At least there's a bit of Kate screaming.
    @Seventeen Days - 6.5 Kate sings about… well, Egypt. Nothing super earth-shattering, but that slow build up at the end really makes this one shine.
    @sfmartin - 6 She creates a very effective landscape with the production. Its lacking melody for me.

10. The second of today's exits, is perhaps the biggest loss thus far?

[​IMG]

Kite 7.28

Highest Score: 10 x 2 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Ana Raquel
    Lowest Score: 5 x 3 @OspreyQueen, @DominoDancing, @Karvel

@Music Is Life - 9 This is a bit of a bop. I really enjoyed it. The lyrics were kind of funny.
    @31entrance - 8 Quirky even by Kate’s standards but I like it
    @confess85 - 8 Hated this at first but it’s a grower.
    @Seventeen Days - 7 Wow, this is so 70s kitsch. But it’s actually quite endearing. Kate sounds like she’s having fun doing this one.
    @Jóga - 7 If you’re going to have those vocals might as well sing a fun song.

@Remorque - 7 I think this song is about trying out new things and feeling out of your depth while also being ecstatic to escape from real life for a hot minute. I can relate.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 7 It may be sacrilege to say this, but this is how I imagine Kate would sound if she'd fronted The Wailers instead of Bob Marley, and they made a children's album.
    @djmakemewet - 6.5 My personal least favourite on The Kick Inside. Again, I love the different sections of the chorus but for me this has always felt like the weakest offering. Once again, I think I prefer the live version here.
    @sfmartin - 6 This is just a little too chaotic and the weird fairground production is really unnerving.
    @OspreyQueen - 5 I remember liking this one a lot when I first got into Kate…and now I’m just wondering why. The lyrics are mostly incomprehensible and the structure is so awkward and convoluted. It’s enjoyable-ish if you switch your brain off, but it’s FAR from her best.
    @DominoDancing - 5 Oof, this is just annoying with its forced quirkyness.

11. Not much of a loss for me. Gave it a 7, the weakest link on the A-side of TKI in my opinion.

12. I low-key can't stand Kite in all its forced joy glory, I'm happy it's out before top 80

Karvel, sfmartin and Verandi like this.
  13. Oh I see, y’all hate fun! Kite is a blast!! A classic Kate car singalong with all my screeching singing as I try to replicate her fabulous early singing techniques

14. Pretty happy overall with the two most recent drops. Egypt had it coming, and although I would have liked Kite around a bit longer, I'm not upset about it.

15. I like that interpretation.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  16. I agree with you that unfamiliarity with B-sides (in any rate) is a likely reason for their low performance in general. However, they had plenty of time to sink in in my case (some of them for decades), but I still think that contrary to most of my other favourite artists her B-sides are nothing much to write home about overall. I'm sorry I'm repeating myself, but I think we can't be too kind to 'Be Kind To My Mistakes' as it's one of the exceptions to prove my rule above and is my favourite Kate Bush B-side. As for 'Experiment IV', it's actually a non-album A-side and one of her best singles. I find no fault with the production and think it's similar to side A of Hounds Of Love.

17. I like 'Be Kind To My Mistakes' a lot... just, it needs another verse or something. It gets a bit repetitive towards the end.

18. I gave this a 7 for the same reasons. I really love the Prophet 5 on this, one of my favourite synthesizer sounds. The "aaah aaah aaah" build-up, on the other hand, is too long and grates on me.'Blow Away (For Bill)' should have left before this, though.

That's a funny and strangely apt comparison. I know it's not a masterpiece, but I really like the quirkiness and gave it an 8. Her high-pitched backing vocals are a bit naff (the backing vocals in that live video are worse, though).

19. Thank you. I was hoping someone would appreciate/understand where I was coming from with that comment. Now I would like the idea of Kate doing a children's album with The Wailers. Well, back then, maybe.

slurmjunkie likes this.
  20. One of today's exits got six seven 10's, and I'll also have another rundown of what has already left.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.