This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 54 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Hounds Of Love

58 vote(s)
    54.2%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Getting close to the halfway point now, I think the tracks leaving will be more substantial for most...

[​IMG]

Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long Time) 7.31

Highest Score: 10 x 7 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Scoundrel_Days, @Jóga, @1991, @ohnoitisnathan, @JonBcn, @confess85
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @Trouble in Paradise

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 I only really like Elton John's songs when they are performed by other people, and this is another one of those. Turning an Elton John song into a reggae cover and scoring your equal second highest-peaking single in Australia with it - who would have thought?
    @JonBcn - 10 Probably my favourite cover version of anything, ever.
    @Jóga - 10 I’ve always loved it, she sounds heavenly and I always loved the reggae feel.
    @confess85 - 10 Prefer this to the original. I love how she completely reworked it.
    @Seventeen Days - 8.5 I love when artists take a track and put their own spin on a song (most of the time, anyway). Kate takes this one and gives it a bit more of an upbeat vibe, and it works surprisingly well.
    @djmakemewet - 6.5 Kate covering Elton over an Irish influenced reggae beat. Because of course. I'm not a massive fan of this one, but I have to give Kate credit for making that work because I don't believe anybody else could.
    @sfmartin - 8 A fantastic cover, such a unique take on the song. I prefer the verses to the chorus.
    @DominoDancing - 6 The most generous thing I can say about this is that at least it's not a boring straight cover. Unfortunately, turning 'Rocket Man' into a Reggae song was not really successful at all either. I've come to accept her changes to the melody, but really, 'Rocket Man' is pretty much a perfect pop song in its original arrangement, so this was always destined to fail.
    @abael - 3 Covers aren't Kate's thing it seems. Just bad.

2. Kate's Rocket Man cover, is just divine and works on so many levels. Glad it did better than I thought it would.

P'NutButter likes this.
  3. I’d say this is probably one of my favourite Kate songs. It lifts me up every time. Maybe it is a personal vendetta against Elton John for being insufferable as well, who knows.

WhatKindOfKylie? and P'NutButter like this.
  4. Before we break the top 80, we say goodbye to this...

[​IMG]

Mrs. Bartolozzi 7.34

Highest Score: 10 x 3 @djmakemewet, @Itty Bitty Piggy, @Karvel
    Lowest Score: 2.5 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@djmakemewet - 10 It's a six minute piano ballad about a woman fantasising while she does the laundry and it's fucking brilliant. The fact that this somehow manages to be erotic yet sinister, mundane yet fantasist, bonkers yet brilliant shows the strength of Kate's songwriting. And no one else could make “Sloohsy sloshy, slooshy sloshy” work.
    @sfmartin - 9 This could be my favourite on the first side of the album. There is a desperate longing that is communicated so effectively. Of course Kate creates a "washing machine" chorus. I don't know how she manages to make something so mundane sound so beautiful. Be right back, I'm just going to stare at my washing machine for 5 minutes.
    @31entrance - 8 “washiiing maachiiiine”
    @OspreyQueen - 7.5 It’s a bit repetitive and certain lines sound a bit sillier than they were probably intended to, but overall it’s a pleasant and harmless song.
    @Jóga - 7 Fascinating, but it gets a bit dull… Lovely vocals.
    @DominoDancing - 7 "Out of the corner of my eye / I think I see you standing outside / But it's just your shirt / Hanging on the washing line" are such sad lines. Let down a bit by its minimalistic chorus.
    @confess85 - 7 Washing Machine always makes me giggle, but I love that theirs something mysterious and dark possibly happening in this song.
    @abael - 4 I looked up the album to make sure Bertie didn't write this.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 2.5 The piano's alright, though quite reminiscent of the first two albums. The song, however, is boring, and the lyrical theme is trite. I think, by this point on my first listen to Aerial I thought... Kate has lost it.

5. A fucking classic!

Karvel, P'NutButter and djmakemewet like this.
  6. Had exactly the same opinion the first time I heard Aerial, didn't get it and thought she'd lost it. Each subsequent listen was slightly more positive; by the forth I had tears rolling down my face. It's been in my top 3 ever since. Seriously, if you've never gave the album a chance then I can only suggest doing so. If you have and still didn't like it then...*shrugs*, it's not for everyone I suppose.

Cutlery, JonBcn and P'NutButter like this.
  7. Late to the party. I cannot believe The Handsome Cabin Boy went so early. It’s excellent.

P'NutButter and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  8. Um... neat graphic, but:

- why do you not specify that the Director's Cut versions are such, and not the 'real' songs?
    - on which release does Passing Through Air have that subtitle? I've never seen it before.

9. Oh, thank god Mrs. Bartolozzi has gone.

Trouble in Paradise and abael like this.
  10. I cannot think of anyone but Kate Bush, who'd ever come up with a song like this one.

JonBcn, Phonetics Boy and sfmartin like this.
  11. Because I think people that follow the rate, would know it's the Director's Cut tracks, and I've always called it that... not sure why, I probably read it in a biography or maybe the "Cathy Demos" bootleg?

Both of today's tracks are about death and loss.

12. If A Coral Room is leaving... I swear to god...

13. Hey, This is more like it! Mrs. Bartolozzi was overrated by me at 4. If it was up to me I would have switched the placements of Candle in The Wind (A Great song performed to standard by Kate) and Rocket Man (An okay song performed badly by Kate). Still, can't complain after losing a 3 and what I would now consider a 3 in a row.

P'NutButter likes this.
  14. I'm not sure that one will blow away yet; I thought it was a fan fave (but not one of mine)?

15. The first of the two exits is a more recent track...

[​IMG]

Among Angels 7.35

Highest Score: 10 x 4 @lob0to, @Itty Bitty Piggy, @Aester, @Wild Man.
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @Ana Raquel

@lob0to - 10 Brings a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat.
    @djmakemewet - 9.5 This song is so beautiful – the final lines are simply gorgeous. It doesn't necessarily fit the album's snowy theme but the simplicity of its composition and the glacial pace are a good match musically.
    @JonBcn - 9 I never truly appreciated this song until seeing her perform it live. Even then when she played the first notes, I thought “what a waste of an encore!”, but she sold it, and it was utterly captivating.
    @OspreyQueen - 7.5 While I’m not a huge fan of 50 Words, this is a gorgeous closer, and it’s just the right length too. I also like how it ends so abruptly on an album full of long intros and outros.
    @sfmartin - 7 This sounded better live from what I can remember. I've never really rated this. I keep waiting for a melody I can hold on to. I do like the fall apart bit I guess, I feel like more should be made of it.
    @abael - 7 A strange ending piece for the album as 1. Nothing winter themed and 2. It's good. Pretty, but there's something that feels unpolished about this one.
    @DominoDancing - 6 Sigh. Pretty but aimless.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 5 Not too bad, not too great either. Nice piano. Mercifully short, for this album, at nearly 7 minutes.

16. Not too bothered with Among Angels going, my least fave track on 50 Words. Maybe Blow Away for the chop next?

17. Ahh losing "Rocket Man" and "Mrs. Bertolozzi" is quite satisfying after losing "Kite." I just don't understand the appeal of Kate Bush covering Elton John with a Reggae beat and an Irish inspired outro. STRONG PASS.

Phonetics Boy likes this.
  18. Oh, I wasn't aware that Kate's dad had died.

19. Among Angels is one of her BEST EVER SONGS!

What the fuck?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.