This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 55 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Hounds Of Love

58 vote(s)
    54.2%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. He passed in 2008, a week before Kate's birthday.

[​IMG]

Blow Away 7.4

Highest Score: 10 x 3 @Ed72, @lob0to, @Karvel
    Lowest Score: 4 x 1 @Hatbar

@djmakemewet - 9 I remember attempting to sing along to the high notes in the chorus – no one thanked me for that! Again, I feel that this is one of those songs that's all about the little touches, like the vocals in the outro.
    @confess85 - 8 A lovely tribute song.
    @Seventeen Days - 7.5 This one is pretty “late-70s AM radio” sounding, but it doesn’t lessen the beauty. I read that this was dedicated to her lighting director, who was killed in an accident on her only tour in 1979. (and was undoubtedly a small part of why she never toured again…)
    @Jóga - 7 It doesn’t start well but it picks up in the chorus.
    @DominoDancing - 7 Pretty, but not very memorable, and seems to drag even though it's only 3:35.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 7 Nice sentiment, mediocre song.

2. It was almost my 11. I think it's so stunningly beautiful. I'm going to guess people who never listen to 50 Words for Snow were fatigued by the time they got to it, because it just doesn't make any logical sense for it to be out now.

I also think "Blow Away" is highlight of Never For Ever, though, so what do I know?

3. The rate really giveth and taketh away. Two three's out followed by two seven's out. And for me, in this rate a 7 is a hope for top 50 at least.

4. Catching up with the last three reveals:

Yes, she doesn't excel at covers (two 7s are the highest scores I gave in that department). This got a 4 from me. I also adore the original 'Rocket Man', its arrangement and Elton John's vocals. So why mess with perfection? The verses in Kate's version at least manage to convey some of the original's melancholy, but the MOR folk reaggae of the chorus falls totally flat for me by losing that emotional impact. Also, as much as I love Kate's voice, the vocals of early Elton John on this song are something else (in contrast to his annoying later vocal style as evidenced on his Kate Bush and Pet Shop Boys collaborations).

Yes, those lines are very affecting. Even though I gave 'Mrs. Bartolozzi' a 9, it's not my favourite from side A (which is 'Pi'), because I also think the chorus is too repetitive in its minimalism. Everything else (including the subject matter and the "slooshy sloshy" part) is great. It's astonishing how she turns seemingly mundane topics such as numbers and washing into poetry.

I also gave 'Among Angels' a 5. I've tried to love this, but sadly, in contrast to "A Coral Room", this feels very aimless indeed. Apart from the line @P'NutButter quoted, nothing on here really affects me in a similar way. Strangely, even though it's much shorter, it feels much longer to me than 'Snowflake', 'Lake Tahoe' and 'Misty', which I find more arresting. I also miss a winter or snow reference.

5. We are still hanging around the earlier albums for today's two.

6. I forgot to comment on 'Blow Away (For Bill)', which is slightly above average (6). I agree with the following opinions:
    One of the problems is that it's such a throwback to the style of her first two albums. Also, the high-pitched chorus is another schmaltzy affair. My favourite part is the "Please don't thump me" middle-eight.

P'NutButter and DominoDancing like this.
  7. Again? I hope they're two of my four remaining 7s across the first three albums. Everything else on there is better. It's high time we got back to kicking out stuff from The Red Shoes. I'm still baffled that two of her most boring tracks are still in.

8. Shame too, quite alot of highlights to have there. The Kick Inside especially.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  9. I actually really love today's two, so I too am a bit peeved...

[​IMG]

Delius (Song Of Summer) 7.45

Highest Score: 10 x 4 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @The Hot Rock, @Music Is Life, @Karvel
    Lowest Score: 1 x 1 @Untitled

@The Hot Rock - 10 Incredible. Love the lush atmosphere.
    @lob0to - 9 Gorgeous.
    @Jóga - 9 Such a beautiful song not even the weird male voiced noises detach from it. For once, her high pitched vocals sound like a siren seducing a sailor in this one, and not like a shrieking animal. I’m sorry.
    @sfmartin - 9 A wonderful juxtaposition to Babooshka right before it. Brimming with exciting ideas and innovation. This was probably the first taste of the creative genius in subsequent albums.
    @djmakemewet - 9 I always thought this was a little odd for how few lyrics it contains, but it feels like a precursor to the more rhythmic work that Kate would explore from The Dreaming onwards. I love the use of bee buzzes and other natural sounds to add to the atmosphere.

@Seventeen Days - 8 Right away, I love the synth drums with the sampled chimes that start this, and then continue throughout. I love how they flow right under Kate’s gorgeous vocals on this.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 7 More of an interlude than a song in its own right, but aurally pleasing.
    @OspreyQueen - 6.5 I like…aspects of it (particularly that sitar), but it never really comes together to form a coherent piece.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Moody, but filler.
    @Jam - 5 Giving me theme music for a magic forest in a RPG.
    @Untitled - 1 Some songs on Lionheart were hard to get through, but at least they had some meat! This one? Utter waste of time.

10. Yes, she hadn't really stopped raiding her stockpile of early demos yet (wasn't 'Babooshka' also one?). It's like 'The Dreaming' was her first album of entirely 'new' material, leaving her teen songwriter years behind.

11. Quite early for this next one, which was also Björk's favourite Kate Bush track for a while...

[​IMG]

In Search Of Peter Pan 7.47

Highest Score: 10 x 3 @Ed72, @AGiantSheep, @Karvel
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @Jóga

@Music Is Life - 9.5 I love Peter Pan, so naturally I love the lyrics to this song. The production is gorgeous, and I love the way it builds throughout.
    @lob0to - 9 Great track, and that segue into Wow...
    @djmakemewet - 9 The verses to this song are so sad, especially when considering that they're sung from the perspective of a child. Some of the production choices feel a little bit Button Moon in a way, but that kind of makes me love them more!
    @OspreyQueen - 8 The glistening piano is nothing short of magical.
    @Remorque - 8 As most of Lionheart this one took a while to grow on me too. But Kate managed to build up the dreaminess and made it interesting. I especially like the child-like verse where they tell her where to fly to.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8 The kind of song that only Kate could write/record.
    @Seventeen Days - 8 The dark vibe of this is an absolute mood. Also, I think it’s a xylophone being played during the verses? But I love the added touch of it.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Opens with a lovely piano figure that's better than the rest of the song.
    @31entrance - 7.5 the “second star on the right straight till the morning” part is just so pure that it makes me happy.
    @sfmartin - 6 I have only heard this since buying the remasters. Some lovely parts, particularly the "second star" bits.
    @Jóga - 3 I can’t remember much from it.

12. Aww, I wish that had lasted longer.

OspreyQueen likes this.
  13. Surprisingly, this exited around the right time

14. Yeah, I thought Delius would hold out longer, but am happy to see Peter Pan off.

15. Bjork having this as her favourite Kate song? Interesting to know, love it when legends love their fellow legend's music.

P'NutButter likes this.
  16. Here's what she said about her in an interview -

Today's two tracks are from the Aerial and Lionheart eras.

17. Love this. Thanks for the link too.

18. We are basically halfway now, still with me?...

[​IMG]

An Architect's Dream 7.48

Highest Score: 10 x 4 @Hatbar, @sfmartin, @slurmjunkie, @Wild Man.
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@sfmartin - 10 So relaxing. The gentle synths swaying from side to side. Lovely little flourishes throughout. It's just great.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 Another beautifully restrained song. Musically, A Sky of Honey really captures the idea of everyday beauty – the outward looking, nature-based observations on this disc really complement the domesticity of the first. This song is a prime example of finding and articulating beauty in simple things.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Not much more exciting than the two songs preceding it, but conveys its atmosphere a bit better.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 2 You can lighten the browns on the sand, but you can't de-beige this. It has more of a song structure than the first 2 tracks on this disc, but is still lacking a tune.

19. and the second track leaving today is lifted from Lionheart...

[​IMG]

Symphony In Blue 7.51

Highest Score: 10 x 3 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @The Hot Rock, @Karvel
    Lowest Score: 5 x 5 @Trouble in Paradise, @Jóga, @AGiantSheep, @ohnoitisnathan, @abael

@Music Is Life - 9 I really enjoyed this. It's a great opener. I love the lyrics and production, they go really well together.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 I love the bass on this song, particularly in the intro. The song sets out the more gutsy production style of Lionheart, acting as a nice counterpart to Moving in that sense.
    @DominoDancing - 8.5 Beautiful melody and harmonies. A very good opener.
    @Remorque - 8 This one took a while to grow on me, but eventually it did. It was difficult to really get into, but I got it after a few listens. Poor Japan and poor Canada though... Getting this as a single instead of Hammer Horror... Imagine!
    @OspreyQueen - 6 Not a huge fan of this one at all. I’d maybe even call it her weakest opener besides Snowflake.
    @sfmartin - 6 Doesn't really try anything different from the debut.
    @Jóga - 5 This album sounds a lot like what it mostly is - songs that didn’t make it to The Kick Inside. This is average, and quite unexciting, if well made.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 5 Pedestrian 70s Kate returns!​

20. Symphony in Blue really grew on me with repeated listens, but I do think it's the right time for it to go. And what were they thinking though? That really isn't single material.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.