This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 57 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Now, I'll see if people notice something about the next one. I'll explain if you do, but if you don't then it's not important...

[​IMG]

Oh To Be In Love 7.58

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Remorque
    Lowest Score: 6 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@Remorque - 10 This was one of the most instant tracks way back when that made me fall in love with The Kick Inside. Tinkling away on the piano experiencing those first feelings of love and how uncomfortable it can make you feel... Oh, the innocence. Well, in Kate's case it's the love for the spotlight and how she didn't always know to handle it, but it could most definitely be about a person's feelings for another person. And once the chorus gets stuck inside your head, it literally refuses to leave.
    @Music Is Life - 9 I really enjoyed this, the production had me nodding my head along. I liked the drums throughout the most.
    @sfmartin - 9 I'm in love with the swooping melodies on this album. Insanely catchy. The backing vocals are a nice touch.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 This is probably the song on the album that's improved the most over time for me. The more I've listened, the more I've come to appreciate the unusual song structure (which makes me think of some of Christine McVie's songs for Fleetwood Mac) and the swell of male backing vocals at the end of the chorus.
    @Jóga - 8 I quite like how it grows and grows. And the male backing vocals really work in this.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 An odd little song, but I like it, mainly because that stuttering hook is insanely catchy.
    @Seventeen Days - 7 That horn interlude, though. Probably my favorite thing on this track would be that chorus - it’s super catchy.
    @DominoDancing - 6.5 Chorus doesn't go well with the rest of the song.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 6 Catchy, but not top shelf Kate.

Music Is Life, Karvel, Jóga and 15 others like this.
  2. .....what are we supposed to notice?

3. We've passed the halfway point, but I thought that happened before this song?

4. That's the first one to really hurt. It's easily top 5 Kate for me!

That it's one of her best songs and it's out far too soon?

Trouble in Paradise and əʊæ like this.
  5. If you don't notice anything, then it's not important.

Wild Man. likes this.
  6. That's not actually Kate on the cover, is it? I think I've seen this before, some French mime artist with an uncanny similarity?

7. Only one person gave it its highest score, and only one person gave it its lowest score?

8. All I notice is it's gone too soon.

9. Boom!

Yes, I bloody love this picture. For so long I thought it was Kate and it looks so similar to the type of shoot Kate and her brother would put together I was gutted when it turned out not to be her!

The Sensual World album takes a knock over the next few days.

10. Heads They're Leaving!

Reaching... Out!

slurmjunkie and lob0to like this.
  11. That's not Kate??! Wow! Talk about a dead ringer!

12. Like I mentioned, The Sensual World loses a few over the next few days, but will today be one of them?...

[​IMG]

Heads We're Dancing 7.59

Highest Score: 10 x 3 @Music Is Life, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Seventeen Days
    Lowest Score: 2 x 1 @Jam

@Seventeen Days - 10 I fear this track may be done dirty, but it’s easily my favorite song on the album. Mick Karn’s trademark fretless bass is a real highlight, and Kate’s darkly humorous lyrics about a woman’s chance encounter with Hitler are pure no-fucks-given genius.
    @djmakemewet - 9.5 BOP. The story of dancing (and possibly more) with a beautiful, charming man only to realise he's Hitler is so Kate and once again could have been a disaster in the wrong hands. Like The Saxophone Song, this was one where I always loved how the bridges flowed into the chorus.
    @31entrance - 9.5 I know some people don’t like this song but...I do?? a bop’s a bop! and the fact it’s basically about Hitler? only Kate can do it!
    @sfmartin - 9 Only Kate would write a romantic song about Hitler. A hugely daring and ambitious song. It totally works, a compelling narrative matched with catchy hooks.
    @OspreyQueen - 7.5 Because I am clueless about what I think of the song’s subject matter, I’ll say I love the juddering industrial beat and leave it at that. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the first elimination though.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Finally something on this album that's at least a little less MOR in terms of the arrangement. Not a very exciting song overall though.
    @Jóga - 7 I would love it if it were shorter, as it is it’s overlong and repetitive.
    @abael - 6 Could be great if it was more concise.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 5 It has decent moments, but overall, the result is unsatisfying, and it goes on too long at the end (Peter Gabriel-inspired song-structure, again).

13. aux

aux

One of Kate's weirdest songs.

P'NutButter likes this.
  14. awwww I adore Heads We're Dancing! one of my favorites from The Sensual World

15. Time to add my comments on the last days' reveals.

The following quotes echo my own feelings about 'Delius', which I gave a 7:
    Thanks for the inclusion of the videos, @P'NutButter. This rate is becoming very educational for me. I hadn't seen the promo video before, and the Russel Harty appearance was eye-opening regarding Delius and Fenry. It made me appreciate Kate's tribute song more, especially her brother's Delius imitation, the significance of which I wasn't aware of.

Yes, that part is lovely. 'In Search Of Peter Pan' got an 8 from me. I also love the melody of the lines "But I don't know if I want to" and "She makes me feel like an old man". However, the chorus part "When I am a man/I will be an astronaut/And find Peter Pan" sounds too much like a musical for my liking.

Well said. 'An Architect's Dream" is fantastic and conjures up a beguiling, dreamlike atmosphere. There's so many brilliant things about this: a great distinctive bass sound, soothing chords, and the way she sings "It's just great" is just great. This is utterly beautiful. It's a shame that this is probably too mellow for most Popjustice members.

Yes, 'Symphony In Blue" got 7 points from me, the lowest score on Lionheart left, so I'm okay with this one leaving.
    I'm ignoring your putdown of my personal favourite (and only 10) from her last album, but I'd call it her weakest opener besides 'Rubberband Girl', 'King Of The Mountain' and 'Flower Of The Mountain'.

Yes, it's just OK. I was very underwhelmed when I first heard it, and there wasn't much to be discovered during subsequent listens either. Also, I'm not a fan of hearing a second-rate Bowie imitation in the chorus instead of Kate singing, so I can understand this comment:
    Let's agree to disagree here. I would have enjoyed it if it had been a better chorus. Given its lead single status, I actually think 'Wild Man' sounds surprisingly aimless and meandering. Then again, I think the half hour that precedes it is the only essential part of the album.

I gave this a 7, too. The sound effects are a nice touch, but can't fully disguise that it's a bit of a filler track. It would have helped to include a memorable chorus because this one is nothing to write home about. I like the oriental influence, though.

Glad to read some of you got it, too. 'Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake' is my favourite (and only 10) from the album . The contrast between the verses and the chorus is indeed a big part of its appeal. And I also love Kate rocking out at the end. Not surprised about it leaving, though, as this isn't the Rockjustice forum.

I gave 'Oh To Be In Love' 8 points mainly for its catchy chorus. The Greek mandolin flourishes and the slightly cheesy keyboard sound at the end of it aren't very sophisticated, though they do have a certain naive charm.

16. Whew, considering Wild Man and Snowed In At Wheeler Street are my favourites from this album, I think we have found the most significant disagreement between us in this rate so far!

slurmjunkie likes this.
  17. This next one I feel has left way too soon, but that's just my opinion...

[​IMG]

Prologue 7.62

Highest Score: 10 x 5 @sfmartin, @slurmjunkie, @nametag, @Itty Bitty Piggy, @Wild Man.
    Lowest Score: 0 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@sfmartin - 10 It gets the suite off to a blissful, chilled out start. Sets the mood exquisitely.
    @djmakemewet - 9 I love how much tension there is in that viol line throughout the song and how it takes about five minutes to break with the drumbeat. I actually prefer the more subdued album version, but perhaps the on stage visuals helped the live version to come alive more.
    @DominoDancing - 7 Pretty but unmemorable.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 0 This sounds like another improv/demo that, for reasons unknown, made it to the final cut. This bores me.

18. Some of these scores...I can't even. A Sky of Honey is probably my favourite album of all time so seeing it be unfairly tanked is infuriating.

19. Prologue is sublime. The piano composition is gorgeous.

20. Am incredible piece but it's actually made it further than I expected, yay

slurmjunkie and P'NutButter like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.