This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 58 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. If something on disk 2 had to go, I'd prefer it to be this one, or Aerial.

2. I wonder what songs we'll lose from this upcoming cull of the The Sensual World then?..

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  3. [​IMG]

4. ^ Ha

The two leaving today are funnily enough from the same eras as yesterday's.

5. So, Aerial and The Sensual World are again losing tracks, but which ones?...

[​IMG]

Reaching Out 7.64

Highest Score: 10 x 6 @Scoundrel_Days @Trouble in Paradise, @aux, @Music Is Life, @Karvel, @Wild Man.
    Lowest Score: 5 x 2 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @sfmartin

@Jóga - 8 I love the desperation in the chorus.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 The chorus is an easy 10, but the rest of the song is just a 6.
    @djmakemewet - 7.5 This is a song that I probably rated a lot more when I first heard it about 20 years ago, but feels a bit dated when I listen now. The strings are beautiful, but the drums feel a bit overwrought. Kate is in fine voice as ever though.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Pretty.
    @nametag - 7 Love the orchestra but as a song it seems a bit… unfinished.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 6 Alright, but a little shrill.
    @sfmartin - 5 I think this is a mixed bag. I think it fits in well with the album with lovely production flourishes and the chorus is certainly powerful but overall its a bit of a mess and doesn't really work as a whole.

6. aux

aux

The Sensual World being her 2nd best album having tracks leaving this early is homophobic.

7. I literally didn't even remember this song. My one word "commentary" probably says it all. I overscored this by at least 1.5 points.

8. I love The Sensual World, but this one is only alright for me. So can take it going.

9. I also gave this a 10.

I also gave this a 5, the only real disappointment on the album. The subject matter has been dealt with very clumsily. Also, I'm not fond of a romantic depiction of Hitler soiling one of Kate's best albums. It doesn't help that I don't find the idea of a guy approaching a girl with this kind of (power) game in the least romantic. It's basically saying "You will do whatever happens after I have tossed a coin", which also comes across as "You can count yourself lucky if you are to dance with me". To add insult to injury, the music is very average for Kate. The repetitive "He go, 'Do-do-do-do-do'" parts are embarrassing, really. However, the only really good thing musically is the coda at the end, so I don't mind that part at all.

It's also mine. This is very similar in feel to 'An Architect's Dream'. As that just left, too, it doesn't come as a surprise that this isn't appreciated much either. Both are my favourite tracks from this suite by far. And the only slightly above average tracks on disc two ('Sunset', which is ruined by the pedestrian MOR flamenco part at the end, and 'Nocturn', which is ruined by the shouty bits at the end that manage to be equally irritating and boring) are still in and will probably end up being the highest scoring tracks from it.
    I salute both of you and everyone else who at least gave this a 9 for your exquisite taste.
    The studio version is the one for me, too. While I do like the live version's extended bits about the different types of birds, the whole "ding dong" part is quite ridiculous and overblown.

I thought your lack of taste was largely confined to your baffling hate for Aerial and 50 Words For Snow, so I am shocked that it also extends to one of the highlights of this classic album.

After the overdue exit of 'Heads We're Dancing', my lowest scores left on this album are several 8s. 'Reaching Out' is one of those, so it's not as bad as losing one of the real gems, but, honestly, it's high time we got back to dealing with the dull The Red Shoes stuff.
    Yes, particularly the chorus is a bit shrill, pompous and schmaltzy.

10. Madonna has been inspired of late by the next track's subject...

[​IMG]

Joanni 7.67

Highest Score: 10 x 5 @Music Is Life, @1991, @OspreyQueen, @JamesJupiter, @lob0to
    Lowest Score: 3.5 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@OspreyQueen - 10 Absolutely divine. The trip-hop vibes remind me a ton of From The Choirgirl Hotel and To Venus And Back. I do wish it was a little longer, but I guess I can just play it on repeat.
    @sfmartin - 9 I very much enjoy the production, eerie with squelchy synths and fuzzy electric guitar. The "whooooooo's that girl" is a moment. Perhaps the chorus could have had a bit more oomph. The last minute and half with guttural humming, screaming and french is probably my favourite part of the song.
    @Jóga - 8 I love how it builds up.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 The production on this sounds a bit date compared to the rest of A Sea of Honey. Otherwise, it's an acceptable riff on the Jeanne d'Arc mythos.
    @JonBcn - 7 The one track I always skip on Aerial, and also the ideal moment to pop to the loo during the live show.
    @djmakemewet - 7 Kate's use of electronics is quite reserved across Aerial and it really helps to add to the ambiance of the album as a whole. Lyrically, this song feels a little underdeveloped though.
    @The Hot Rock - 6 This was much better before the humming at the end. It was very uncharacteristically annoying for anything in her discography.
    @abael - 4 Sounds like 90s Madonna trying to transition into an Ambient artist.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 3.5. The best album track on Aerial so far, but that's not saying much.

11. This rate is homophobic. The Aerial cull, Reaching Out being kicked out already....

Aerial is my favourite album ever.

P'NutButter, sfmartin and aux like this.
  12. Yes, these parts are all great. I also love the atmosphere Kate's vocals conjures up during the verses.

No, that ill-advised part actually ruins the song for me, so I'm glad someone agrees:
    I gave it 7 points for all the great parts.

P'NutButter and sfmartin like this.
  13. Heads We're Dancing out this early?

[​IMG]

I knew it would be done dirty. It's such an amazing track.

14. Awwwe Joanni is amazing, would've loved for it to go top 50

P'NutButter, lob0to and sfmartin like this.
  15. I never said I didn't like 'The Fog'! Just that I thought it would the next The Sensual World track to leave, after 'Heads We're Dancing' and 'Reaching Out'.

I'm 2/2 with my predictions so far.

'Love and Anger' shouldn't get too comfortable, either, I think.

slurmjunkie and P'NutButter like this.
  16. Ha! Love it.

P'NutButter likes this.
  17. Happy to see Joanni out, but really need to start getting through The Dreaming.

Verandi likes this.
  18. Quite a big one will be leaving today, but I think the best word to describe them both is inappropriate.

19. I'm guessing one must be The Infant Kiss?

slurmjunkie, 31entrance and sfmartin like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.