This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 59 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. The Kick Inside as well? (neither of them should go yet, even if The Infant Kiss makes me want to report it to the police)

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  2. The big one first...

@JonBcn - 10 A three-part opera distilled into 15 minutes, this is one of the most impressive songs she’s ever written.
    @sfmartin - 10 Absolutely enchanting. An epic magical tale, beautifully detailed. My favourite song on the album. The time flies by, all 13 minutes of it. In my mind its all metaphor and she is describing some kind of male anxiety / intimacy problem in the bedroom "so cold next to me", "he won't speak to me". The polar opposite of Sensual World.....but knowing Kate it could well just be about sex with a Snowman. The piano and strings are divine.
    @djmakemewet - 10 This song. It's so unmistakably Kate and not one second of its thirteen and a half minute runtime is wasted. Misty stands as a highpoint in the latter part of Kate's career or maybe just in her career as a whole. I love how the snowman can act as a stand-in for a cold, distant lover, a dying partner or just a one night stand that leaves Kate with nothing but a wet patch in her bed. Even a simple line like “he won't speak to me” can open up so many interpretation. The swell of strings towards the end of the second verse is especially gorgeous.
    @aux - 9.5 When will your fave write a song about sleeping with a snowman?
    @OspreyQueen - 8 What really sells this track is the lyrics, they’re so fascinating. It’s an interesting enough story just taken at face value, but there’s so much nuance sprinkled in and it lends itself to so many interpretations if you dig deeper. I must admit 14 minutes is…pushing it a bit, but it’s still a captivating listen.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 As with Lake Tahoe, I just don't believe there is enough musical substance here to warrant the enormous runtime. But at least Misty has an interesting and weirdly touching set of lyrics.
    @abael - 4 Kate gets freaky with a snowman.
    @31entrance - 3 13 minutes? oh come on Kate!
    @ohnoitisnathan - 1 Some nice piano, but once again it's not terribly exciting, and drags on way too long. Don't think I'm gonna make it through 13 minutes of this one, even with it on in the background while I'm checking something else.

3. 'Misty' was the last remaining track from 50 Words Of Snow in this rate, so we say goodbye to the second and most recent collection from Kate...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Highest Scorers:

@Ed72
    @JonBcn
    @lob0to

Lowest Scorers:

@ohnoitisnathan
    @CasuallyCrazed
    @abael

4. Awww 50 words for Snow is a gorgeous album and I feel that some of its tracks should have done better - at least a couple in the top 50!

5. genuinely surprised I’m not one of the lower scorers for this tbh

6. I'm pretty sure Misty is about an abusive man who Kate keeps trying to give love to, but like snow it just melts away, causing her pain in the process.

Aester, djmakemewet and DominoDancing like this.
  7. Well, this elimination is more than appropriate, the worst release is disposed of.

8. A score of 1 for Misty... how is that even possible?!

When Kate sings ‘I’m going out on the ledge!!’ I totally believe her, I’m right there on that precipice with her.

9. Seems fitting that Misty should go on such a scorching hot day (in the UK at least) - sad to see it leave, though. It's a real favourite of mine.

Aester, slurmjunkie, JonBcn and 2 others like this.
  10. As everyone said, such a beautiful album. Not an album you can just play, but a great piece of musical beauty.

Aester, JonBcn, sfmartin and 2 others like this.
  11. Now for the other track...

[​IMG]

The Infant Kiss 7.75

Highest Score: 10 x 4 @djmakemewet, @Scoundrel_Days, @nametag, @Aester
    Lowest Score: 4 x 1 @WhatKindOfKylie?

@djmakemewet - 10 I think this demonstrates just how deft Kate is as a songwriter. In the wrong hands, this source material could be turned into a disturbing mess of a song. Yet Kate manages to explore the themes of the source text without ever venturing into uncomfortable territory. The whispered vocals really help add to the sense of menace here.
    @sfmartin - 9 She really loves to pick controversial topics for her songs. I love that she takes so many risks, it makes for such compelling tracks. This is a great song, the chorus is beautiful.
    @31entrance - 8 imagine if this was released nowadays...it wouldn’t fly regardless of context
    @DominoDancing - 8 Love the menacing undertones that pop up throughout the song.
    @Seventeen Days - 8 The lyrics of this song certainly did raise an eyebrow for me initially, but once I read the story behind it, I actually found it quite beautiful.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 7 I feel dirty listening to this, even knowing it's not about *that*, but it's not a bad song.
    @OspreyQueen - 6 I love the melody and Kate’s vocal delivery…but the lyrics make me really uncomfortable. I know it’s not actually about pedophilia but that doesn’t stop it from feeling a little unpleasant.
    @Jóga - 6 Not my favourite.

Music Is Life, Karvel, əʊæ and 9 others like this.
  12. Lionheart is still around though? And Director's Cut was culled some time ago

P'NutButter and sfmartin like this.
  13. Indeed, talk about ironic!

P'NutButter likes this.
  14. The first one today though, is an early track...

[​IMG]

James And The Cold Gun 7.78

Highest Score: 10 x 4 @djmakemewet, @31entrance, @Music Is Life, @CasuallyCrazed
    Lowest Score: 5 x 4 @sfmartin, @ohnoitisnathan, @Itty Bitty Piggy, @Karvel

@djmakemewet - 10 Another early favourite of mine and I'm surprised the record company never pushed it out as a third single considering it was in contention for the lead. I do wish the album version doubled up the last part of the chorus like the live version does though.
    @Music Is Life - 10 Oooh this bops, I love the production, feels very much like a rock song and I love that. The vocals are great too, and the lyrics are interesting.
    @confess85 - 9 A really fun song.
    @Seventeen Days - 8 The switch up to a more traditional rock sound here is definitely a welcome addition.
    @abael - 8 Kate really gets into this one, and it comes through in a great way.
    @OspreyQueen - 7.5 BOP.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Not a standout, but bops along nicely.
    @Remorque - 7 Ugh, her mind... You know that situation where you run away from your family to live in the big city and somehow they know what you're doing every weekend because they know some people who know some people who know some other people? Well... That, but this is not about me, but about James Bond.
    @Jóga - 6 I don’t enjoy it very much, unfortunately, but I like the oh-oh-oh’s.
    @sfmartin - 5 It's fine, but I don't return to it.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 5 A little too pedestrian 70s rock for my palate.

15. James And The Cold Gun easily is in my Kate top 10

but it's not a lead single while Wuthering Heights made the absolute perfect debut single (and one of my personal favorite debuts of all time)

16. Quite a shock elimination this morning one I think.

17. Right, so the next 11 to leave the rate is...

[​IMG]

The Song Of Solomon 7.8

Highest Score: 11 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan
    10 x 5 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Hatbar, @31entrance, @DominoDancing, @JonBcn
    Lowest Score: 0 x 1 @slurmjunkie

@ohnoitisnathan - 11 As much as I love The Dreaming as a whole, this has to be the jewel of Kate's catalogue, for me. "Don't want your bullshit, just want your sexuality" - oe of the best couplets ever written in song.

@DominoDancing - 10 The album peaks with this and Lily. The chorus is one hell of a power statement.
    @31entrance - 10 “don’t want your bullshit, just want your sex-ualityyy” iconic
    @abael - 9 This more lyrically and musically direct Kate just works for me.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 This song has a great mood to it and of course another standout appearance from the Trio Bulgarka. The “I'll do it for you” builds so magnificently and it's nice to hear horny Kate again.
    @OspreyQueen - 8 I think I’d comfortably call this her most overtly sexual song. Obviously we aren’t talking Justify My Love here, but it’s got a wonderful lack of restraint that isn’t often heard in her music.
    @Seventeen Days - 7.5 That’s right, Kate ain’t taking none of your bullshit. I like the quiet vibe of this track, although the curse is definitely an added little fun surprise.
    @sfmartin - 6 It's solid but it will never be a favourite. A bit dull.
    @Jóga - 5 A bit lacking.
    @nametag - 5 “Don’t want you bullshit, just want your sexuality” is kind of iconic but I can’t sorry. It’s just too saccharine sounding and doesn’t really go anywhere.

18. Excellent 11 choice @ohnoitisnathan! This was in my Red Shoes top three, y'all tasteless!

19. me on losing two 10s in a row
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.