This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 60 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. This is not a 0! @slurmjunkie, I need your comment post asap, because wtf?
    Playing this up for effect a bit, but I'm really looking forward to your commentary in this case.

2. What?! Far too fantastic of a song to be out even at this point.

3. Your wish is my command, so before I get to the other three songs that have left since yesterday, I will repeat what I wrote when the Director's Cut version was revealed:

Sorry folks, but 'The Song Of Solomon' is the epitome of boredom in any version (and so is 'And So Is Love'). The slug-like pace and the monotonous backing vocals might help insomniacs get some rest, but thankfully my sleep is sound. But where 'And So Is Love' is merely repetitive and dull, this song also gets on my nerves with its lazy chorus, one of Kate's worst. Given the subject matter, it sounds neither exciting nor yearning to me, and the way Kate pronounces "sexuality" makes it sound so lacklustre. And the less said about the embarrassing "Wop bam boom" the better.

The only positive thing I can say about the original version is that the "wop bam boom" bit is toned down.

I don't disrespect your opinion, but this statement feels contradictory to me. I always thought that The Dreaming and this song are polar opposites regarding their level of inventiveness and creative genius. It's almost like they come from different artists. Also, most of Aerial and 50 Words For Snow (the albums you accuse of being a chore to listen to) is so much closer to that creative spirit than this.

Cutlery, DominoDancing and sfmartin like this.
  4. I knew 'The Song of Solomon' probably wouldn't make the top 20, but I'm shocked to see it go this early. Oh well, I guess it's 'karma' for me for hating the two most-recent proper albums, while most of you seem to love those.

My first thoughts on The Red Shoes were... meh. But then I grew to like the first 10 songs, and especially this one. That will never happen with 'Aerial' or '50 Words for Snow', though.

5. Some prefer beige Kate, it seems.

abael likes this.
  6. What a 1-2 punch. Shocked about James and the Cold Gun, devastated over Song of Solomon both are great and out way too early. Was expecting a top 10 finish for the latter.

7. While I could agree that they sound like they're from different artists, 'The Song of Solomon' has a so-angry-I-don't-have-any-energy-left-to-rage-and-am-resigned kind of tone to it. In that sense, it's not too dissimilar to the 'extremes' shown on The Dreaming; just it's more subtle.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  8. Same, thought it would be here alot longer!

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  9. I was quite surprised at one of the tracks leaving today, I expected it to do a lot better.

10. Like I said, this one was a surprise boot for me...

[​IMG]

Don't Give Up (With Peter Gabriel) 7.81

Highest Score: 10 x 8 @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Hatbar, @Scoundrel_Days, @Ed72, @DominoDancing, @ohnoitisnathan, @Karvel, @Remorque
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @Ana Raquel

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Fantastic.
    @DominoDancing - 10 You could call this sappy. But these lyrics are exactly what I need to hear from time to time, and both Kate's and Peter's performances are flawless.
    @31entrance - 9.5 I love this song, helps me when I’m feeling depressed or when the world seems dark.
    @djmakemewet - 9 This song is a tough listen for me at times and at others it's exactly what I need to hear. Kate as the reassuring, comforting voice bringing hope just feels so fucking right and she really sells her lyrics. I definitely have to be in the right frame of mind to come back to this one though.

@OspreyQueen - 8 First time I’m hearing this despite knowing full well it existed beforehand, and I can’t believe I’ve been missing out for so long. It’s so warm and comforting, if a little generic lyrically.
    @Seventeen Days - 7.5 Peter Gabriel has always been one of those artists that I never really had any strong feelings about ,but rather just enjoyed his works in passing. The first time I listened to this I didn’t know it was even a duet, until Kate’s vocals came in - and quite honestly, her emotional vocals are the best part of it.
    @Jóga - 6 I’ll probably be a low scorer. I don’t enjoy it. I can see why it was a hit but I hate his voice and it bores me a bit.

11. aux

aux

Oh wow. Didn't think this would leave midway through, a great collaboration in my opinion.

12. I really don’t know or care enough about Peter Gabriel but sometimes this song is what I need to hear, as someone who suffers from mild depression this somehow helps me to get through no matter how cliche it sounds

it should’ve been top 50 at least

13. Way way too soon this one is going. One the most fantastic and moving collaborations of all time. The raw emotion in Kate's voice moves me every time.

14. I mean Peter and Kate sound great on their own, but I don't feel a lot of chemistry between them and the song is too sappy for me, a good place for it

15. Oh wow Song Of Solomon AND Don't Give Up leaving within like a day, this is catastrophic. I think I need to lie down.

16. Kate's most apt song is next to go...

[​IMG]

How To Be Invisible 7.85

Highest Score: 10 x 6 @djmakemewet, @aux, @31entrance, @slurmjunkie, @Aester, @nametag
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@djmakemewet - 10 This is such a groove. I remember hearing this and loving it on Kate's website before I got a copy of the album. Much like the previous track, I love how this plays with the idea of domesticity and Kate's unfairly gained image as a Havisham type recluse (which her male counterparts would never get). Those spooky sounds that pop up during the “storm in the swimming pool” verse are a great touch.
    @sfmartin - 9 I very much enjoy the guitar riff throughout, its a bop. I just wish something else happened.
    @OspreyQueen - 9 The lyrics in this one are so unique and odd, and full of Kate’s trademark quirk. I adore it.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Good atmosphere, fine lyrics, but missing something to make it great (a hook, a better chorus, some musical development, ...).
    @Jóga - 7 It takes a bit too long to get on with it. But once it’s there, gorgeous!
    @abael - 5 ...after 12 years, release this disk.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 3 Another sub-par Aerial album track, but this time with a semi-decent rhythm track.

17. How To Be Invisible is the best track on Aerial and you cannot change my mind

P'NutButter and Sally_Harper like this.
  18. aux

aux

Somewhere In Between takes it for me in that case. But How To Be Invisible is excellent, and I'm gutted so see it go.

P'NutButter likes this.
  19. Unlike yesterday, I'm happy to see these two go, not that I particularly dislike them, but there are definitely better songs that could have.

20. And there is still Aerial trash remaining.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.