This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 64 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. This next song is perfect for this time of year...

[​IMG]

Somewhere In Between 8.02

Highest Score: 10 x 6 @Music Is Life, @sfmartin, @aux, @Ed72, @Karvel, @Wild Man.
    Lowest Score: 2.5 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@sfmartin - 10 It is just so beautiful, it is just so beautiful. Dreamy and sublime. Once again she paints such a vivid scene. The male vocal is a lovely touch. Goodnight mum.
    @OspreyQueen - 9.5 Does anyone else get Zero 7/pre-fame Sia vibes from this one? It has that same air of mystery and oddness, which fits in really well with the theme of twilight.
    @lob0to - 9 So relaxing.
    @abael - 9 Is much more impactful musically than lyrically, which is fine by me.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 This carries on the mood from the first segment of Sunset. I love how unhurried this song feels and the blend of voices on the chorus is beautiful. It is perhaps a little too similar to Sunset though.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Lovely arpeggios opening the song.
    @Jóga - 7 The harmonies here are gorgeous.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 2.5 Somewhere in between two and three points this deserves. Has more of a tune than most songs on this side of Aerial. Deducting half a point for the unnecessary 'goodnight mum' at the end.

2. aux

aux

Nooooooooo. One of my all time favourite Kate songs.

3. Awful to see this one go, real top 10 stuff here.

Aester, P'NutButter and sfmartin like this.
  4. Today's two are kinda hilarious for today in different ways, also a rundown of what has left will be posted.

5. I should have participated in this rate to undo some of the damage. "Somewhere In Between" is one of my very favourite KB songs. "Misty", especially, has been done wrong.

Aester, sfmartin, slurmjunkie and 3 others like this.
  6. vaseline.jpg ?

7. Haha!! Noooooooo

This first one is hilarious, because looking outside right now it's totally not the right time for this track...

[​IMG]

December Will Be Magic Again 8.04

Highest Score: 10 x 7 @P'NutButter, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @sfmartin, @slurmjunkie, @confess85, @ohnoitisnathan, @Remorque
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @abael

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 A Christmas-themed song that's a little dark... only Kate could pull that off.
    @confess85 - 10 One of the few Christmas songs I can tolerate.
    @sfmartin - 10 Magical. One of my favourite Christmas songs. A journey through so many beautiful melodies and it all centres around that spectacular chorus sprinkled with childish awe and wonder "like the SNOW" is a moment.
    @lob0to - 9 With a few exceptions I generally don't like Christmas songs. This is one of those.
    @DominoDancing - 8.5 My favourite of Kate's Christmas songs!

@djmakemewet - 7.5 I love this Kate-flavoured take on a Christmas song, with yet another classic multi-part chorus. I think I prefer the melody on the TV version from a year prior, but it's a shame this seems to get overlooked amongst other Christmas songs.
    @31entrance - 7.5 I’m rating this based on memory but it’s a decent Christmas-y song.
    @Seventeen Days - 6.5 Kate gives her take on Christmas music, with enjoyable results. Take away the sleigh bells, and it more or less sounds identical to almost anything from the first two albums.
    @OspreyQueen - 6 This feels like it was made just for her to channel her remaining tweeness into so she could then go on to create The Dreaming.
    @Jóga - 6 It leaves me a bit cold. No pun intended
    @Jam - 8 My weird little Xmas bop, one year this made an appearance on the stockroom Christmas radio playlist (which was set by the company not our store) in my old job as a stockroom assistant.
    My co-worker: 'What the fuck is this?'
    Me: 'Its Kate Bush, December will...'
    Him: 'oh of course you'd fucking know, it's weird!'

This was a playlist that had previously been playing Uptown Funk and Katy Perry's Firework multiple times a shift so I thought he would have at least been grateful for the change.

8. I forgot to comment on 'James And The Cold Gun' and agree with @Seventeen Days. It's great when she rocks out, and this track has lots of great parts: the staccato guitar stabs after the chorus remind me of early Genesis, the backing vocals entering with the second verse are among her weirdest, and the coda is fine, too (I wish it faded out later, but without the guitar solos of the live version). On the other hand, I'm not so keen on the organ and some of her shriller vocals during the verses. 8 points.

So am I. Everything about The Ninth Wave is flawless, so everything got a 10 from me. Though I can understand that (besides the weirdness of 'Waking The Witch') this is probably the most difficult track to get into. It took me a while, too, but now I absolutely love it. The double bass on it is amazing. I love the controversial mumbled vocal bits, and Kate's explanation for them is spot on. It's also the Kate Bush song with the biggest oriential influences (especially the string parts and the middle eight), which might be another hurdle for Western listeners. I also agree with the following:

Amen to all of the above. 'Them Heavy People' is one of my favourite songs (certainly the catchiest) from the debut album, and is out far too soon. The official video for the live version is so much fun: her gestures, her facial expressions, the whole weird choreography.

Thanks for posting that Japanese video. It was truly strange to watch a kind of karaoke version with other singers (does anyone have an idea who they were?), ending with a dance routine Kate participated in.

I agree with you, especially regarding the way the sections flow into one another. The section from 1:13 to 1:34 is out of this world. I'd call it her best middle eight (if this had a traditional verse/chorus structure). And the way it's followed by the vocal melody of "That's alright" is inspired. The longer soundtrack version fails in this regard as the emotional impact is lost by the extra instrumental section sandwiched inbetween. I'm really sad to see this go as (I know I'm repeating myself) it's my favourite B-side and really should have been on the album instead of 'Heads We're Dancing'. Soundwise, this song also fits the first side of Hounds Of Love and 'Experiment IV'.

Yes. 'The Wedding List' is like a less rockier cousin of 'James And The Cold Gun'. I really love the melody of the "And after she shot the guy" vocal at the end. Some bits are a bit too gimmicky for me, though, such as the shrill "booty" and the Morricone-style harmonica and death knell during the quiet pre-chorus. 8 points.

I think the 2012 version of 'Running Up That Hill' actually equals the original. There is one bit that I even prefer: in the original, Kate always sings "swap our traces" instead of "places" (as the lyric sheet says). I always found this baffling and irritating, and the new version finally remedies this. 8 points.

Yes to the above. 'Somewhere In Between' is another highlight from A Sky Of Honey gone too soon. I'm not that keen on the chorus, but the rest is blissful, especially the brief guitar phrase first appearing at 0:17 and her sublime vocals. 9 points. If 'Aerial' leaves next, the weakest tracks from this song suite will fare best in this rate: in my opinion, both 'Sunset' and 'Nocturne' start out brilliant, but end up slightly above average.

Mine, too, but topping 'Home For Christmas' actually isn't a big achievement. Or are there any others I missed?

9. Nah I don't think so. I was wondering myself why I wrote that when I read it earlier today. I really was on a tough deadline with that commentary.

slurmjunkie and P'NutButter like this.
  10. I'll reveal #50, then I'll post a list of what's remaining in the rate...

[​IMG]

Aerial 8.07

Highest Score: 10 x 8 @Music Is Life, @sfmartin, @Ana Raquel, @aux, @confess85, @JonBcn, @nametag, @Wild Man.
    Lowest Score: 1.5 x 1 @ohnoitisnathan

@JonBcn - 10 Such a great crescendo, despite the echoes of early ‘80s Dire Straits, which could be a turn off, but there’s a time and a place for everything.
    @confess85 - 10 I love how this builds to an amazing climax.
    @sfmartin - 10 The climax is just phenomenal. I particularly love the joyful laughing halfway through along with the birds, like a high Mary Poppins. The whole song is brimming with delirious hope and optimism.
    @djmakemewet - 9 The steady electronic pulse throughout the opening section is sublime and hearing the song build with those loud, crunching guitars and the guitar solo which comes in creates a real sense of celebration. Kate's laughter against the sound of the birds and the crowd of laughter which grows and grows until it explodes, leaving nothing but birdsong create a powerful ending to the song, the suite and the album.
    @OspreyQueen - 9 A surprisingly upbeat closing track for such a serene album. It’s a really unique and interesting depiction of dawn, and ends the album in a wonderfully unexpected way.
    @DominoDancing - 8.5 I like the overall effect, i really do, but there's just not enough going on considering the length of the song. Thumping away on one bass note for nearly eight minutes and a lot of wanky guitar...this could have been better.
    @Jóga - 8 Amazing. But it’s just too long, again.
    @abael - 5 Bit of an ordinary note to end on for the superior disk.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 1.5 'tain't much of a song and goes on for way too long.

11. I feared this would happen.

The Hot Rock likes this.
  12. I'm really quite happy to lose King Of The Mountain next.

13. King of the Mountain is top 10 material tyvm

əʊæ likes this.
  14. can Rocket's Tail leave next? it's my lowest score left so...

Aester likes this.
  15. I cannot

Aerial, second place for my 11, leaving...
    [​IMG]

3:34 is probably the most orgasmic moment in Kate's entire discography. There is so much life in the song.

Kate, flying out of nowhere laughing at the top of her lungs to be presented at the crescendo at the Before the Dawn shows is burned in my memory.

[​IMG]

Cutlery and P'NutButter like this.
  16. WAIT I've just seen The Fog is still here. And Aerial only has four songs left.

[​IMG]

17. The remaining Aerial songs aside, 'Rubberband Girl' has really over-achieved.

And 'Experiment IV' and 'Wuthering Heights (New Vocal)' as the best non studio-album tracks?! Riiiiight.

18. Another 11 leaves today.

31entrance and əʊæ like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.