This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 65 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. December Will Be Magic Again, is such a classy Christmas song. Love it.

2. Eek! Have to say I love the artwork for this rate especially for the list of remaining songs. I couldn't begin to guess what will go next but I hope the few Aerial songs stay a little bit longer. But then again not sure what I'd want to leave in their place

P'NutButter likes this.
  3. Hmm, 37 of this top 50 is a 9 or higher for me. That's what we call quality! That's what we call talent!

P'NutButter likes this.
  4. The Red Shoes having more songs left than Aerial is homophobic.

P'NutButter likes this.
  5. Speaking of which...

[​IMG]

Lily 8.08

Highest Score: 11 x 1 @OspreyQueen
    10 x 6 @Music Is Life, @Ed72, @Ana Raquel, @DominoDancing, @confess85, @JonBcn
    Lowest Score: 4 x 1 @CasuallyCrazed

@OspreyQueen - 11 This one is criminally underrated, and I feel like most fans just forget it exists. I think it’s a truly wonderful song, from its ASMR-esque spoken intro to that downright anthemic chorus which contains some of Kate’s finest lyrical imagery in my opinion. I’m not much of a believer in “spiritual healing” or whatever, but I always find this song so comforting and soothing. It was a tight race for my 11 (Experiment IV, Walk Straight Down The Middle and The Dreaming also came very close), but I adored this one from my first listen all the way through to today, and it’s so special to me that giving it the distinction of my favourite song in the rate just feels 100% right.

@DominoDancing - 10 The real Lily "[...] believed in mental colour healing—a process whereby patients would be restored to health by seeing various hues". Ugh, I wish I didn't know what hogwash this song is based on, it's so amazing otherwise...
    @ohnoitisnathan - 9 Decent song from The Red Shoes again let down slightly by mediocre/pedestrian production.
    @djmakemewet - 8 I always appreciated how much of a jam this song was but it has been a bit dwarfed by its later iterations for me at this point. “I'll show you how with fire” remains a moment, though.
    @sfmartin - 7 A very dramatic song that definitely captures your attention. It was a powerful opener to the tour.
    @Jóga - 7 Improvement on the previous song, but still quite not as good as it could’ve been... I like the lower vocals.
    @lob0to - 7 My ears are still ringing after listening to the original CD of this. Mixed way to bright.

6. Not ANOTHER loss from The Red Shoes?!

7. Well at least it made top 50. I’m pleasantly surprised because I always thought this was one of the most unpopular songs from The Red Shoes.

Music Is Life, Aester, abael and 2 others like this.
  8. It definitely has been a surprise of the rate, although I don't mind it. Think hopefully the remaining songs of the album, should last around for a fair while longer.

OspreyQueen and Hatbar like this.
  9. Moments of pleasure should make top ten surely.... I'm suprised Rubberband girl has made it this far to be honest.

lob0to and əʊæ like this.
  10. 'Rubberband Girl' should have been out around #75, I think.

P'NutButter, slurmjunkie and lob0to like this.
  11. Surprised too, but in a good way!

əʊæ likes this.
  12. Good riddance

13. How did DWBMA get this far? I'd convinced myself I simply forgot its elimination. #51 is unbelievably generous. Anyway, Moving, Wow, Morning Fog, King of the Mountain and half of The Dreaming can leave right about now.

14. No not the real Red Shoes Lily leaving already.
    I mean, I gave this 10 points, but over the last months, I've mentally been rating it higher and higher, and if I had to do the whole rate over it would be a SERIOUS contender for my 11.

P'NutButter and əʊæ like this.
  15. Rubberband Girl and The Dreaming (title track) can both fuck off, to be honest. They’re both “classic” Kate songs but I don’t particularly like either of them at all.

Aester likes this.
  16. The first three albums were wronged, to be very honest. "Kashka from Baghdad" obliterates everything post-1994, basically, and that left ages ago, which is a shame.

17. I... still have a lot of 5s (and one 3!) left and you are attacking one of my 10!!!!

18. I also love everything mentioned in these comments. At the same time, I share @DominoDancing's feeling that it's a bit too repetitive and long. Still, Kate laughing with the birds merits at least 9 points.

I can understand your disappointment (and of the four songs left, only one is truly great). But as much as I enjoy Aerial overall, it doesn't hold a candle against 'The Fog'.

It's almost the same amount for me (36).

Yes, it definitely should have left before 'Lily', which I gave an 8 mainly for its utterly brilliant bridge or pre-chorus (the chorus is a bit too plodding for me). As I wrote before, The Red Shoes would have made a very good 4-track EP, but now one of those four tracks has already left instead of 'Rubberband Girl'.

I still have two 6s and four 7s left, so I hope they'll leave soon.

P'NutButter likes this.
  19. As a fan of tradition, here is the second of today's exits...

[​IMG]

Top Of The City 8.16

Highest Score: 10 x 8 @1991, @The Hot Rock, @OspreyQueen, @sfmartin, @aux, @ohnoitisnathan, @CasuallyCrazed, @nametag
    Lowest Score: 5 x 2 @Trouble in Paradise, @Ana Raquel

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 This was the first song on The Red Shoes that really grabbed me.
    @sfmartin - 10 Just captivating and gorgeous, a magical power ballad. A vocal masterclass, so much variation. Showing off all of her range. The melody and the delivery of the beautiful chorus is heartbreaking.
    @OspreyQueen - 10 Just…breathtaking. The way the instrumental is constantly exploding and withdrawing creates such a unique dynamic, and the way the lyrics build upon the imagery of the titular city in tandem with the protagonist’s story is just masterful songwriting. The ONLY gripe I have is that the “take me up to the top of the city” line is repeated a few too many times.
    @The Hot Rock - 10 The only song from The Red Shoes that really had any impact on me to be honest. This resonated with me similarly to any of Kate's other bests.
    @djmakemewet - 9 Parts of this song feel so heartbreaking to listen to – especially “she's no good for you baby”. Like Lily, I think I appreciate the other released versions of this song more now, although I enjoyed hearing the police sirens on the track in the 2011 remaster.
    @Jóga - 8 The closest in this album it gets to the drama I want from Kate, really...
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 I always found the melody a bit to repetitive to be really effective, but I admin that seeing it performed live gave me a new appreciation for this.
    @abael - 7 A nice song with which I feel I'm dumb and missing some sort of subtext.

Music Is Life, abael, Aester and 10 others like this.
  20. aux

aux

The sheer homophobia of this and Lily leaving. Y'all are going to jail!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.