This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 66 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. The injustice of it all. The best Red Shoes track by a large margin. (Top of the City, I mean)

əʊæ likes this.
  2. I mean, The Red Shoes and Rubberband Girl are right there!

(I don't remember my scores so watch it transpire that I'm part of the problem)

3. Stunned about Top of the City leaving so soon.

ohnoitisnathan and əʊæ like this.
  4. First the incredible Aerial going and now Lily?! You monsters.

I love you all really.

əʊæ and DominoDancing like this.
  5. Yes, even though the song is quite dynamic in terms of its quiet and loud parts, the whole track feels very repetitive to me. Maybe a middle eight would have helped to spice things up a bit. That said, her vocals are great, especially the fragile way she sings "Take me back to the top of the city". 8 points. Only half of my The Red Shoes EP is left now (albeit the better half), and inexplicably 'Rubberband Girl' is still in.

DominoDancing and P'NutButter like this.
  6. I want the last few songs from The Red Shoes to hold on, but I know I'm in a minority in that respect.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  7. I think my 6.5 for the highest Aerial song I rated was a bit too generous. The whole album needs to go.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  8. I don't mind Aerial, it's just a bit well, too long.

9. I noticed because my initial review of The Red Shoes was quite scathing, a few voters probably felt the need to fight it's corner, hence why they possibly over scored 'Rubberband Girl'? But then again, maybe they just love it?!

That album is left alone today though.

10. Since you (and some others) already managed to kick out all the essential Aerial songs apart from 'A Choral Room', the other three left need to go as soon as possible.

ohnoitisnathan likes this.
  11. I'm starting to hate so many of you because of this rate and I didn't even finish my scores dddd. Taste: get that!

12. I absolutely LOVE Rubberband Girl! It's just a bonkers bop!

31entrance and P'NutButter like this.
  13. Like I mentioned, The Red Shoes escapes today, but two others don't...

[​IMG]

Rocket's Tail 8.17

Highest Score: 10 x 10 @Music Is Life, @Hatbar, @Scoundrel_Days, @Ed72, @JamesJupiter, @ohnoitisnathan, @JonBcn, @lob0to, @confess85, @AGiantSheep
    Lowest Score: 3 x 1 @Aester

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Love the backing of the Trio Bulgarka on this.
    @djmakemewet - 8.5 This is the most Kate song on the record – who else would write a song about strapping fireworks to their back and dressing like a rocket and dedicate that song to their cat? The Trio Bulgarka really shine here, especially on those final “HEE HEE HEE HEE”s and the electric guitar just sends the entire thing into lower orbit. My favourite line has to be “was it me said you were crazy?”.
    @Jóga - 8 Strident, but it works for me. I really like when the guitars start all of a sudden and it becomes a dramatic rock moment.
    @Seventeen Days - 8 The fact that Kate’s cat was the inspiration for this cracks me up. Enya and her castle full of cats could never! Those fantastic vocals by Trio Bulgarka are the true highlight here.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Really like the vocal arrangement in this. The rock part is a bit too wanky for me, although I usually like Gilmour's style.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 It’s a bit too janky for my liking.
    @sfmartin - 7 When I was younger I always used to skip this struggling to adapt to what sounded a lot of wailing. I appreciate it a lot more now. The crescendo at the end is quite something.
    @nametag - 6 I can’t tell how popular this song is - I feel like it does get a lot of love? The whole thing is just a bit empty and obvious to me - I’m not a huge fan of the Trio Bulgarka’s work with Kate outside of Never Be Mine either, though he ‘hee hee hee’ bits are cute enough.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  14. there goes my lowest score left, I think

never liked Rocket's Tail for some reason

Future Lover likes this.
  15. Ya’ll are ruining this rate with your terrible scoring. Top of the City should not be leaving this early on.

16. I gave Rocket's Tail a 10 but I'm not one of the 9. Can that mean it stays in a bit longer?

P'NutButter likes this.
  17. Yes, the moment the band kicks in, the whole song lifts off like a rocket.
    For me it's the other way round. At the start, the Trio Bulgarka part is too loud in the mix and really grates, but once the rest of the music joins, it's okay. And that rock-out is fantastic, not only Gilmour's guitar part, but also (as so often with Kate's work) the distinctive bass playing.
    That's because it is a lot of wailing.

18. I knew there was one missing!!!! (Only from the write-up though... sorry.)

This next one is gutting, it's for me one of her very best...

[​IMG]

The Kick Inside 8.18

Highest Score: 10 x 8 @P'NutButter, @djmakemewet, @sfmartin, @Ed72, @AGiantSheep, @confess85, @Seventeen Days, @Karvel
    Lowest Score: 5 x 3 @Ana Raquel, @Aester, @CasuallyCrazed

@djmakemewet - 10 A beautiful (but quite chilling) coda to the entire album. It still boggles my mind that Kate can take such wide ranging and off kilter inspirations and produce something as stunning as a song like this. Even more remarkable given how young she was when she released this album.
    @sfmartin - 10 I love this. Beautiful, understated ballad. The vocals are infused with longing.
    @Seventeen Days - 10 Wow, Kate. Wow. That is some super intense subject matter, but she tackles it with absolute class. Also, this song is surprisingly topical, given recent events in the US… but let’s not discuss that here.
    @Music Is Life - 9.5 Ooo another gorgeous ballad. I love it when artists put the title track as the last song on the album (see also: Animal by Kesha). This is a great song, and a very strong closer.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 9 Moving.
    @Untitled - 8 HER MIND. It scares me sometimes.
    @Jóga - 7 It’s far from exciting, but it is beautiful and her restrain here works perfectly.
    @DominoDancing - 7 Pleasant but not very interesting.

19. What??? Robbed of a top 40 placement at least

P'NutButter and lob0to like this.
  20. Some songs from The Dreaming should start to fuck off tbh. I know we always stan an underdog album but come on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.