This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 69 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. I hate to quote myself here and go "told you so", but unfortunately I have to.
    'Rubberband Girl' rated higher than 'Lily', 'Top Of The City' and 'The Red Shoes' seems wrong, 'King Of The Mountain' rated higher than 'Pi', 'How To Be Invisible' and 'A Coral Room' even more so. Not to mention 'Sunset' and 'Nocturn' outlasting 'Prologue', 'An Architect's Dream' and 'Somewhere In Between'. It's a real shame.

lob0to and The Hot Rock like this.
  2. Oh, I forgot 'The Red Shoes' song was still in. It should have gone about 30 places ago. I'm shocked at some of the songs it beat.

3. Peter Gabriel-influenced song structure strikes again. Ddddd. First evidenced on 'Running Up That Hill'.

OspreyQueen likes this.
  4. I'm not the lowest scorer on an Aerial album track? I am shocked.

5. Oh my god, YES! You just overscored it by several points.

6. Because it is.

7. ^ You lot are so evil!!!

The two tracks leaving today are completely opposite in terms of their subject and tone. But also both are related in a certain way...

Sally_Harper, əʊæ and 31entrance like this.
  8. The first track out today, is quite an angry and exhaustive listen, at least emotionally...

[​IMG]

Pull Out The Pin 8.3

Highest Score: 10 x 5 @The Hot Rock, @djmakemewet, @Jóga, @ohnoitisnathan, @CasuallyCrazed
    Lowest Score: 5 x 1 @31entrance

@ohnoitisnathan - 10 Kate perfectly encapsulates what it must be like on the front line in a war. More vocal craziness - you have to admire the risks Kate took there.
    @Jóga - 10 The bit at 0:13 always reminded me of a Depeche Mode song... not a second overlong.
    @djmakemewet - 10 as with Delius, this is one where Kate makes effective use of atmospheric sounds to really set the tone. The moment where she screams “I LOVE LIFE!” over and over is so affecting and so very Kate. The way the song seems to collapse in on itself at the end leaving nothing but those jangling guitars is stunning.
    @lob0to - 9 A claustrophobic, atmospheric wonder.
    @OspreyQueen - 8.5 The instrumentation is absolutely the star of this show. The simple lolloping percussion is just hypnotic.
    @Untitled - 8.5 Technically perfect, but there's something that rubs me up the wrong way about it, I don't know.
    @Seventeen Days - 8.5 The first couple of times that I listened to The Dreaming, this song just struck me as so odd, and I didn’t really return to it often. But the more I listened to the album, the more I found an appreciation for it. Kate’s urgent cries, and the way she uses the helicopter samples to portray the jungle hellscape of a Vietcong hunting American soldiers in the Vietnam War, is quite fantastic.
    @sfmartin - 8 This falls in the middle for me of the album. It's not as attention grabbing as some of the others.
    @DominoDancing - 8 This album really was a big step forward in terms of creativity in the instrumentation, and this is a nice example.

9. If there's a link between today's exits, does that mean we'll be losing Love and Anger next?

[​IMG]

10. Mess the wrong The Dreaming tracks are leaving

11. "Pull Out The Pin" before "Get Out of My House" or "Houdini" is just....

[​IMG]

abael likes this.
  12. Fixed that for you!

13. She's comfortably in the top 15

Aester and əʊæ like this.
  14. Calls for Houdini to leave soon? Really? In my Popjustice?

This fucking rate is cursed, I swear. (but you're still doing an amazing job @P'NutButter)

15. The Depeche Mode song the bit in Pull Out The Pin reminds me of is Blasphemous Rumours, the intro.

16. Like I mentioned previously, the eliminations today are both related in a similar way but also completely different in tone...

[​IMG]

The Morning Fog 8.34

Highest Score: 10 x 11 @Music Is Life, @Scoundrel_Days, @Trouble in Paradise, @aux, @Ed72, @Jóga, @31entrance, @slurmjunkie, @Wild Man., @JonBcn, @nametag
    Lowest Score: 4 x 2 @OspreyQueen, @abael

@JonBcn - 10 Another song that really came into life with the ‘Before the Dawn’ shows. The line “Do you know what, I love you better now…” seemed to take on a new meaning as she gestured to the audience, a spontaneous gesture of mutual appreciation. It brought on a mid-song round of applause and was (yet another) moving moment.
    @Jóga - 10 This is honestly an 11 to me. It’s probably the song I listen the most as a standalone from the Ninth Wave. It’s so sweet. The way she sings it, with a sort of raspy deep tone and the fatigue... It gives me the chills.
    @djmakemewet - 8 I choose to believe that Kate's character survives the night in The Ninth Wave and so The Morning Fog comes as a welcome happy ending for me. Compositionally, I do think it's probably the weakest on the side but it's still a gorgeous song. I always wondered if the similarities to Cloudbusting were intentional, so I loved hearing the interpolation of it in the live version. I was never lucky enough to see the show, but listening to it on Before the Dawn makes it feel like such a moment.
    @sfmartin - 9 A warm, enveloping, uplifting conclusion to a stunning suite.
    @Seventeen Days - 8 And just like that, the woman is rescued and she is going to survive. The upbeat feel of this quite rightly contrasts to the dark feel of the rest of the suite, but it does place a nice neat bow on the storyline.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 A breath of fresh air after the heaviness of Hello Earth, and a nice end to the Ninth Wave. But not very memorable taken on its own.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 6.5 Not the ending I would have chosen for 'The Ninth Wave'; it's too upbeat. I know that was probably the point, but I think things would have been better if it had ended with 'Hello Earth'.
    @OspreyQueen - 4 I always get whiplash from that jaunty guitar intro coming directly after Hello Earth has snatched all my serotonin. As far as I’m concerned, The Ninth Wave ends on an ambiguous note with that song. This just feels like it was thrown together and tacked on for the sake of having a happy ending.

17. aux

aux

I see that a lot of the complaints about the track are not about it itself, but rather the placement of the track. I think it works perfectly fine for what it is, it's meant to be odd and jarring, making us wonder if everything was a dream or not. At least that's the way I see it.

Seeing that video just makes me wish even more that they'd release a Before The Dawn film, especially as it was filmed in 3D, ready for a theatrical release and everything.

18. Hmmm I think 'The Morning Fog' has greatly overperformed. #80 would have been about right, maybe.

I think it benefits from being part of Hounds of Love, by mere association. Had it been track 11 on 'The Sensual World' or something, I doubt it would have done as well.

Aester and Cutlery like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.