This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!) | Page 72 | The Popjustice Forum

This Woman's Complete Work: The Kate Bush discography rate (RESULTS - 2nd place + WINNER!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Favourite Kate Bush album?

1. The Kick Inside

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Lionheart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never For Ever

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. The Dreaming

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. Hounds Of Love

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
  6. The Sensual World

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. The Red Shoes

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Aerial

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Director's Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 50 Words For Snow

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Two quite big songs of her career leave today.

2. I'm guessing maybe Wow could be one?... Probably am completely wrong though!

3. [​IMG]

The New Vocal version is surely due to leave soon.

Cutlery and lob0to like this.
  4. I'm really surprised my 11 is still in. I thought it would have been the first of those tracks to go.

5. So, the first of today's "big" ones is kind of a huge deal in that it showcased Kate in so many ways...

[​IMG]

Moving 8.55

Highest Score: 10 x 7 @P'NutButter, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Hatbar, @Trouble in Paradise, @Karvel, @JonBcn, @Itty Bitty Piggy
    Lowest Score: 4 x 1 @abael

@Remorque - 9 A fantastic introduction to The Kick Inside. She sounds fantastic and we love a trailblazer using whale music as an intro. Also: if I were to write a song about one of my old teachers it wouldn't sound like this ddddd.
    @Seventeen Days - 9 Talk about coming out the gate with a beautiful album opener. I love the lush environment of this, it’s just so satisfying.
    @confess85 - 9 Perfect opener to the album. Kate’s range on this is amazing.
    @Music Is Life - 9 I love the cinematic feel of the production on this. Something tells me that's going to be a big part of a lot of her songs. Her vocals are nice enough, but I can see why some people might find them grating.
    @sfmartin - 9 A wonderful opener. A perfect introduction to swirling melodies and sweet vocals.

@djmakemewet - 9 The Kick Inside was the first Kate Bush album I listened to and this song makes for a perfect introduction. The whale song really adds to the ethereal feel.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 8 Truth be told, Kate's early helium vocals can be a bit grating to my ears. But this is a nice song.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 A good opener. "You crush the lily in my soul" is a haunting vocal moment.
    @OspreyQueen - 7 It’s nothing to write home about, but it’s pleasant enough.
    @Jóga - 7 I appreciate the sentiment behind it and understand that it is part of her artistry but I just don’t think it holds a candle to other songs in this.

6. Disaster. This is my fav TKI song and was confidently expecting it in the top 10. No way those 2 Lionheart tracks still in are better than this stunning opener

7. Moving, now that's a way to begin your debut album that's for sure!

8. I knew when The Dreaming started to fall, my rate villainy would come out, but happy to see this go, wouldn't of made my top hundy.

9. and the second of the "big" ones, is another sorta career benchmark...

[​IMG]

King Of The Mountain 8.6

Highest Score: 10 x 13 @Music Is Life, @1991, @WhatKindOfKylie?, @Hatbar, @Ed72, @Untitled, @Jóga, @confess85, @Wild Man., @CasuallyCrazed, @Karvel, @JonBcn, @Remorque
    Lowest Score: 4 x 1 @abael

@JonBcn - 10 In the early days of the rate I read someone saying that this would get a 0 from them, and I was shocked. I can’t fault it. Again, to me Kate is like a musical Kubrick, making movies in your mind while you listen. I always liked this track, but seeing it brought to life on the opening night of the Before the Dawn shows elevated it to a whole new level for me; the wind effects, the rising pitch and intensity. It’s a masterpiece, albeit one I don’t go back to that often.
    @confess85 - 10 Love how this song built to such a dramatic climax in the live version.
    @Untitled - 10 This was actually my first Kate Bush song. I was 8 years old and at this point I was aware of her, of course, but I thought she's just one of those old boring artists I wasn't supposed to care for at that age. And yet, there was something about King of the Mountain. Whenever it was on TV, I would sit up and take notice. I just had to pay attention. It got a lot of airplay, but my reaction was always the same. I'm not gonna say that I was magically a stan, no, that would take a few more years. I'm just gonna say that it was vital in sparking my interest in Kate and for that reason, it will always occupy a special place in my heart.
    @Jóga - 10 Great comeback single. It’s everything you expect from her.
    @The Hot Rock - 9 My fears about the rest of Kate's discog post-The Sensual World were alleviated immediately with this track. Bless.
    @djmakemewet - 9 Aerial was my first Kate era as a fan (my fandom started in about 96/97) and it felt amazing to have her back. I love Kate's Elvis impersonation on this and the buildup is masterful – not to mention those wonderful drum fills.
    @nametag - 9 I bought this CD single from Woolworths! I remember being so excited when this came out, I was only 16 or so but I’d been into Kate for a while and couldn’t believe she was actually releasing a new album. Perhaps all the expectation and hype overshadowed the song a bit for me - it probably ended up being one of the most listened to songs in my library for a number of years - but I still think it’s a really strong production and classic Kate.
    @DominoDancing - 8 Perhaps not as epochal as what you'd have hoped for after 12 years of silence, but still quite lovely.
    @OspreyQueen - 7.5 I’ve always just seen this one as “the single” from Aerial. Not especially challenging or profound, but it’s nice.
    @sfmartin - 7 I don't think I'll ever not be disappointed with hearing this first time on Radio 2 after cementing my love for Kate in the late 90s and anticipating her comeback after many many long years. I've tried to get into it but it's just dull. I do like the "wooooaaaahs" into the wail of "the wind it blows" but that's 4 mins in.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 6.5. It's OK but not brilliant. Compared to the rest of 'Aerial', though, it's a masterpiece.
    @abael - 4 Nice bit of nothing.

10. I think it was her 5th top10 solo single.

P'NutButter and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  11. Um... 'King of the Mountain' was her sixth solo UK top 10 single, not her fourth.

edit - oh, already posted.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    P'NutButter likes this.
  12. This sort of sentiment explains why Aerial is so... liked here, because it was several participants' 'first' Kate album, in real-time, anyway.

That's exactly it.

It's such a nothing song to come back after a 12 year gap. That Kate's mimicry of wind noises is the highlight says it all, really.

I like to think that 'King of the Mountain' was shelved in 1996, because even Kate realised she'd lost it.

slurmjunkie, sfmartin and P'NutButter like this.
  13. I always forget about 'Man With The Child In His Eyes', oh well. At least you can tell I made these posters! *hides*

Anyway, THREE 11's leave today!

14. Yep, so them 11's are going today but with what song?...

@nametag - 11 Hard to pick but this is getting my 11 because I’ve thought it was perfect since I first heard it, the melody in the first half is absolutely gorgeous and the flamenco-style ending one of the most joyous things I’ve ever heard. Perhaps more lyrically simple than many of her other songs, but I’m all about the music and this has always been right at the top for me.

@JonBcn - 10 For a long time, this was my favourite track from Aerial. The sudden burst of flamenco guitar at the end is nothing short of euphoric, and a totally new sound for her. The first time I heard it, it left me breathless.
    @sfmartin - 10 My favourite song on the album. One of my favourite Kate songs full stop.
    @djmakemewet - 10 This is such a mood. The low piano, the loping bass that calls back to her 80s albums and those descending piano lines. The swell of strings during “a sea of honey, a sky of honey” is simply gorgeous and then the song explodes into the flamenco section and really comes alive, only to dissolve into piano/bass again at the end. Sublime.
    @OspreyQueen - 8.5 The flamenco part is such a curveball, I love it.
    @abael - 8 This is more what I had hoped for when it came to a more mellow Kate.
    @DominoDancing - 8 Finally a song on a Sky Of Honey with some memorable elements.
    @Jóga - 7 By this point everything starts getting a bit drawn out, luckily this picks up the pace a bit.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 2.5 It bores me, but I suppose it at least has more of a song structure than other disc 2 of Aerial tracks. Kate's vocals are also better on this than on most of Aerial.

15. Wonderful 11 choice @Wild Man. @Aester @nametag I was so close to adding my name to the list but I didn't think it would do anywhere near as well as it did. 31 is a great placing all things considered.

Also, come through Nocturn. People clearly loving the milky silky waters.

16. aux

aux

Sis............................................................................................................

17. I just have the correct... a very different opinion on Aerial than you.

I tried to be complimentary in my comments for the track. I said her voice was good. Just not the song.

18. I felt I was getting a bit lucky with rankings, so of course an 8 had to come slap me back to reality, Bye Sunset, too soon.

Wild Man. and P'NutButter like this.
  19. I love "Sunset" so much, I genuinely want it played at my funeral. The sunset of my life, with a little flamenco at the end to celebrate! I'm thrilled to see it get two other 11s and all those 10s. It's a stunning song.

20. The second of today's two is also quite a big deal, in that it's a single plus it kicks off the top 30!!!!...

[​IMG]

Experiment IV 8.64

Highest Score: 10 x 10 @OspreyQueen, @sfmartin, @Ana Raquel, @Ed72, @slurmjunkie, @1991, @Jam, @confess85, @nametag, @Remorque
    Lowest Score: 5 x 1 @abael

@nametag - 10 The production on this is stunning and holds up so well - has this menacing, chuggy rhythm that I adore and is a perfect encapsulation of Kate the storyteller.
    @sfmartin - 10 I loved this song as soon as I saw the captivating video on The Whole Story VHS as a child. It was terrifying in parts. I've always thought it would make a great lip sync performance, such theatrical content. Finding the entended version in the remastered extras was a lovely surprise, the extended instrumental sections invite you deeper into the story.
    @OspreyQueen - 10 It’s such a shame this one always seems to get forgotten with it being (kind of) an orphaned single. The concept of a sound that’s so emotionally distressing that it’s literally deadly (rather than like, the frequency frying your brain or some other dull sci-fi explanation) is such a quintessentially Kate idea, and while the song on its own is brilliant enough, the unforgettable video takes it above and beyond. I really hope this one doesn’t flop in the rate, because it’s undoubtedly top 10 Kate in my opinion.
    @djmakemewet - 9.5 I remember my parents buying a CD-i (you may have to look it up) and Kate's The Whole Story '94 was one of the first discs we had for it. My older brother showed me two videos from it: Cloudbusting and Experiment IV and I loved both, but really appreciated the dark humour of the latter (I also felt really pleased that I recognised Dawn French in the video!). As a song, I love the sinister guitar line and the military drums with the violins providing a beautiful counterpoint. I was really disappointed when I learned that the album version didn't include the violin solo from the video version, so I'm thrilled that that version turned up on the remasters.

@31entrance - 9 so hauntingly 80s.
    @Seventeen Days - 9 The unabashedly 80s sound of this just works so well for Kate. I love the video, with Kate playing a banshee who quite literally kills the scientists with song.
    @DominoDancing - 7.5 Production sounds surprisingly cheap for this era. The backing track is a bit repetitive for my taste, but I like what Kate builds on top of it.
    @Jóga - 7 I wish it didn’t take that long to get to the chorus because the verses aren’t that interesting. But I do love the chorus and the understated melody.
    @ohnoitisnathan - 6.5 OK, but let down by mediocre production.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.